Hero (UTG): $57.20
      MP: $72.25
      CO: $145.20
      BTN: $57.80
      SB: $50.75
      BB: $10.45

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is UTG with 6 :diamond: 7 :diamond:
      Hero raises to $1.75, 2 folds, BTN calls $1.75, 2 folds

Flop: ($4.25) T :spade: 3 :diamond: 8 :spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $3.05, BTN raises to $6.10, Hero calls $3.05

Turn: ($16.45) 5 :diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $16.45, Hero raises to $49.35 all in

I'm trying desperately to get better at cash but am only just starting out so if my thinking is way off the mark please go easy on me :f_biggrin:

No history. Flop looks pretty bad in retrospect but I thought I can lead at overcards / spades on the turn given that I think most would raise a little more or flat with a FD on the flop. It seems like a probing Tx/99-44 bet to me.

Obviously the turn takes me off plan and I wanted to see the river cheaply (free card or c/c a smaller bet) but his bet sizing makes the shove size feel right and I figure if my flop instincts are right then I can push him off these TP/PP hands.

Thanks in advance
  • 10 replies
    • falcone1983
      falcone1983
      Bronze
      No offense but this is atrocious.

You should probably fold preflop, you shouldn't cbet this flop (bad for your range and very good for his), and you can't ever call this check/raise with just a gutshot to the dummy end of the straight (JT is one of his more likely semi-bluffs) and a BDFD.

Turn is w/e, you have very little fold equity, and I personally don't enjoy putting in my stack with 30% equity, but since there's so much money in the pot already it can't really be too big of a mistake (just hope he doesn't have A:dT or something).
    • nibbana
      nibbana
      Bronze
      Originally posted by falcone1983
      You should probably fold preflop
      You mean me personally in my limited experience or do you mean in general we shouldn't be raising suited connectors from UTG ?

and you can't ever call this check/raise with just a gutshot to the dummy end of the straight (JT is one of his more likely semi-bluffs) and a BDFD.
      I didn't call a check raise in the hand ? Do you mean QJ is one of his semi bluffs ?

I can see that the flop is terrible and gets me into bother for the rest of the hand and I guess I'm just reluctant to give it up on the turn and have a stab.
    • falcone1983
      falcone1983
      Bronze
      Originally posted by nibbanaYou mean me personally in my limited experience or do you mean in general we shouldn't be raising suited connectors from UTG ?
      I worded it equivocally on purpose ;) .

No, just kidding, just remember that there's a difference between a hand like JTs and 76s (as far as raising UTG is concerned).

I didn't call a check raise in the hand ? Do you mean QJ is one of his semi bluffs ?
      I meant flopraise & QJ, yes. Sorry for that.

Point still stands though.
    • nibbana
      nibbana
      Bronze
      Point still stands though.
      and I thank you very much for it :)

Seems I have a lot more work to do if I can make so many errors in a single hand.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      pf is fine in my book, flop is meh but vs non-aggro i'd def cbet and barrel, once raised fold readless, don't shove turn as played.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      I wouldn´t really fold to min-raise on the flop, since if you hit your 9 you can likely stack his set.
      I think he isn´t betting pot and then folding to your c/rai and since you have there 7 high you can´t really shove for value. So I´d call and if I hit one of my 14 outs I´d shove for value. i think he won´t fold his set or if he has there smt like overpair to your river shove.
    • nibbana
      nibbana
      Bronze
      I appreciate all of the input thankyou. Still a bit confused as to whether my flop cbet is reasonable on this board but am sure now that c/c is better than c/r on the turn as he called with QTo so I definitely overestimated my fold equity.

Thanks again
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      With a gutshot + BDFD c/f'ing looks too weak and you can't rly c/c
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      hey, m8, if you want to sweat sometime, lemme know. NL50 Rush is giving me a kicking atm (after 2 good months) so I cant promise to lead you into the light, but w/e.

As to hand, I raise these scs utg sometimes but I think falcone1983 is right - they are really hard to play oop and its pretty rare to hit flops where you can really go mad.

As played, I also call the flop minR. Turn sucks that he bets so much but I dont think we can shove as hes almost never folding. I think a call is ok - just - but problem is you have to donk shove the river when you hit which means hes getting away from his hand some of the time, so overall I probably ch/f turn.
    • nibbana
      nibbana
      Bronze
      Thanks for your thoughts Tim, I sent pm.