Turbo Vs Normal

• HoroHoro
      Hi all,

I've recently started playing poker again and decided to try my hand at SnGs. I'm currently playing on party poker, and noticed that there are no longer any 1$ normal tables (only turbos).

I was wondering if I should be performing any variation of the strategies described in the bronze, and basic articles when facing a turbo table SnG?
  • 6 replies
    • sirilidion
      no, the strategy is the same. You could download the ICM trainer and practice a bit with the push and fold in different spots because you will get faster and more often in th push or fold stage
    • MikeAK47
      Yes the strategy is the same, but often a different skill set is required for owning turbos than it is for regulars.

A guy that's very good at push/fold should play the turbos.

A guy that is very good at re-stealing and stealing the blinds when everyone has like 20BBs should play regulars.

Most SNG players play the turbos because to be honest they are a lot easier and you won't have as many tough decision to make, there are less regulars playing the regular SNGs than turbos, turbos are infested with break even rakeback whores who 85 table them.

You'll often see 15 'registering' $12 SNGs on Full Tilt with 5 multitablers in each, and if you sharkscope them, they'll all have 10,000 games played with -1% ROI or 0.5% ROI lol.
    • fl4m3r
      Hi all sorry to interrupt..

I understand the different between turbo and normal. What about super turbo and turbo?

will the variance be higher?
    • pzhon
      Originally posted by fl4m3r
      I understand the different between turbo and normal. What about super turbo and turbo?

will the variance be higher?
      People mean different things by variance.

The mathematical variance, the square of the standard deviation, will be almost the same. The standard deviation is about 1.5 buy-ins whether you play regulars or super turbos. It mainly depends on the prize structure.

However, you might see larger swings, and you might see the swings faster because you play more super turbos in an hour. You get larger downswings if your ROI is smaller. The maximum achievable ROI tends to be smaller in faster tournaments because those early levels really are profitable. In practice, many people expect to get a lower ROI in super turbos than turbos, which means that they see larger downswings in buy-ins.
    • fl4m3r
      Alright, would you recommend a beginner to play normal, turbo or sup turbo?

Also, is there any must-read book or knowledge that you must master before starting? Knowledge like ICM, nash equilibrium etc.

I am already Gold, so I somehow can read higher level articles, but it seems like I am doing worst than when I first started a 2 weeks ago. I get more confused towards the bubble stage because ICM seems to be a bit illogical at times...
    • ihufa
      slowplay in normal ones
      fastplay in turbo