[NL2-NL10] NL10 SH - Q9s

• DoigteurFou
      Known players:

0,05/0,1 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant.Base 0.94 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with Q:spade: , 9:spade:
      MP3 folds, CO raises to $0,20, Hero calls $0,20, SB calls $0,15, BB folds.

Flop: ($0,70) 9:club: , 5:club: , 3:heart: (3 players)
      SB checks, CO checks, Hero bets $0,5, SB calls $0,50, CO folds.

Turn: ($1,70) T:club: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($1,70) 2:diamond: (2 players)
      SB bets $1,8, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $3,50

What do you think of that hand (appart from "fold preflop")?
  • 3 replies
    • dallievas
      :D I think you already know your main mistake :D
      appart from "fold preflop"

but I still have to tell you that such hands like Q9s or Axs ,56s from bu versus cu are better to 3bet or fold.Of course you should 3bet not every time you get that hand. Those hands look very pretty but not so profitable HU.If opp folds to 3bet or 4bets then go ahead.If he calls 3bets oop then loose your 3bet value range a bit.Call from bu range that you can dominate his cu range.
      Flop : I would bet too because CU do not check any made hand on this board and you have to get some value from draws,from 88.77.66,98,T9 and etc.And you can bet bigger too,close to pot.
      Turn: is not the best card,completes FD but not only flushes in his range so I would often bet/fold.You can bet reasonably on turn ,a bit more then half pot with some equilibrium between thin value and protection.I don't like check because it induces what you get on the river and if bet big there's a problem what to do? is that bet was induced by your weak line or it's real hand.
      On the river I do not see call without specific read.Very big bet and we have only IInd pair on flush and connected board.9T should bet turn but opp is passive.Main reason that very loose passive guy bets into you big,this is almost never good for IInd pair. Your hand is bluff catcher mostly and you know that loose passives aka calling stations rarely bluff.So fold is the best option imhho.
    • Kaitz20
      I think you can mostly 3-bet co min-raise but I also don´t mind call. I think fold ip isn´t really the best option, since he rarely has there very strong hand and you can easily take pot down very often postflop.
      I think b/f turn can be reasonable and then taking your free showdown
      He may fold there K9, A9 or call with worse 9x hands or pp and if you check then you never has there flush, so he can pot also with air and you have to fold.
    • DoigteurFou
      Oh, I didn't explain: CO has a betting pattern preflop that I "cracked". In this hand I knew he had a suited hand (anytwo suited, with no ace), so with Q9s I knew I was ahead of his range. He also folds to any bet if he didn't hit anything. But I didn't want to 3bet him because I already did 3 times in the last 15 hands to isolate, and I didn't want another player to join the party against me (even if I was in position. I prefred to call that one, playing in position, and not putting too much money with a mediocre hand into the pot, and also motivating another player to call to get good odds to play that hand. My main motivation was to play that hand because it is not too hard to play IP, and to play as much as possible against CO because he was just throwing his money into my pockets hand after hand. My standart would be to 3bet for isolation, but I didn't want to be seen as a maniac at the table, because I hate getting 4betted, and as I'm just starting to experience with 3bets I don't want to get already involved in tough spots in reraised pots too often.

Thank you for the insight. Looks like I don't bet/fold enough my hands. I had bad surprises with those lines and slowly used it les and less, but I realize this was a mistake.