This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] play for set value

• JHTAN
      JHTAN
      Bronze
      Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $2.05
      MP1:
      $5.36
      MP3:
      $4.17
      CO:
      $6.72

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant.Base 0.96 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with 2:heart: , 2:club:
      MP1 calls $0.10, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $0.10, CO calls $0.10, BU folds, Hero calls $0.05, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.50) 9:club: , 3:spade: , 2:spade: (5 players)
      Hero bets $0.4, 2 folds, MP3 calls $0.40, CO folds.

Turn: ($1.30) 6:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.55 (All-In), MP3 calls $1.55.

River: ($4.40) 8:club: (2 players)

Final Pot: $4.40

Results follow (highlight to see):
      MP3 shows (Tc 9h)
      Hero shows three-of-a-kind, deuces (2h 2c)

Hero wins with three-of-a-kind, deuces (2h 2c)

Hi,

Hero is SB. With 3 limpers and getting pot odds 9 to 1. May Hero play for set value in this situation? Thanks :s_cool:
  • 9 replies
    • Tampaloeres81
      Tampaloeres81
      Bronze
      Hi,

Playing for set-value OOP is really hard. In unraised pots it will be hard to extract value if you hit.

It's better to play for set value in CO+BU.

Option in SB+BB is to raise AI with 3+ limpers. This will be high variance and very marginal with 22 though...

T.
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tampaloeres81
      Hi,

Playing for set-value OOP is really hard. In unraised pots it will be hard to extract value if you hit.

It's better to play for set value in CO+BU.

Option in SB+BB is to raise AI with 3+ limpers. This will be high variance and very marginal with 22 though...

T.
      +1, however with 22 I think raising will be a bit over playing it OOP and folding is a shame because of the already made pot equity. You only need to put $0.05 in pot of $0.45 to see a flop, I think in this case completing is really the best move.

Well played afterward you could have gone potsize on flop leaving you with $1.45 and a pot of $1.50 but that is just details :) .

GLATT
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Hero is SB. With 3 limpers and getting pot odds 9 to 1. May Hero play for set value in this situation? Thanks shark cool
      I will reverse the question.
      What makes you think you can setmine with PPs on your limit and higher limits?

As you can see from my evaluations; I let you do the thinking more instead of just saying the answer. Doesn't have any connection with me being lazy or not willing to give the answer.

I just want you to understand it
    • JHTAN
      JHTAN
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Gerv
      Hero is SB. With 3 limpers and getting pot odds 9 to 1. May Hero play for set value in this situation? Thanks shark cool
      I will reverse the question.
      What makes you think you can setmine with PPs on your limit and higher limits?

As you can see from my evaluations; I let you do the thinking more instead of just saying the answer. Doesn't have any connection with me being lazy or not willing to give the answer.

I just want you to understand it
      Merry Christmas Gerv, :s_biggrin:

With 5 players seen the flop. As I know, 1 player hits a pair on Flop 33%. So, with 5 players on the Flop, I think someone should make a pair. Besides, at micro limit, player may limp/raise with monster preflop. So, with the pot odds 9 to 1, I think setmine may be +ev. Thanks
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      "PPs" is stands for poker players? I hope I guess it right.

PP = pocket pair ;)
    • JHTAN
      JHTAN
      Bronze
      Originally posted by thazar
      "PPs" is stands for poker players? I hope I guess it right.

PP = pocket pair ;)
      Merry Christmas thazar, :s_biggrin:

Thanks for the answer.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Yes someone hits a pair 33% of the time. That may be bottom, middle and toppair so you assume that
      1) You hit a set and
      2) People hit a pair that

3) you get a double up

But you forget:
      A) People will sometimes fold TPNK on later streets, middle & bottompair you only get 1 street of value
      B) Against a set people still have <20% equity so you lose some money as well

In the end I think I rather shove preflop as setmining is soo marginal because you need to get his whole stack as soon as you hit otherwise it is just a waste of money

- Gerv
    • JHTAN
      JHTAN
      Bronze
      Hi Gerv,

So, do you mean that you will fold pocket 2 preflop? Thanks :)
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      I think I said in my previous post that I rather shove than limp because of my aggro style

This is a fold or shove spot