Shorthanded ajustement

• thereddee
      I was playing micro stake LHE FR about a year ago on star and I was doing pretty good on full ring, getting a bankroll from 50$ to 100$.

I decided to move to NLHE where it didnt go so well, I went down a bit over 100$ and recently I studied a bit and moved back up about 50$ in a month and a half with about 25k hand on party poker. Im currently on a downstring, which affected my confidence, and is tilting me quite a bit so I decided to give NLHE a rest and give another shot at LHE.

Im curretly having some money on merge and on party, but I would like to maximise my Bonus on Merge.

THe problem is that there was not any fullring tables only 5Max available.

I after reading the basic strategy played about 1k hand yesterday (0.05/0.1$) and barelly beated the rake with around 0.5BB/100hands.

I noticed that my blue line (showdown winning) was pretty high, and my red line very low.

How should I adjust my play to 5Max. Should I only ajust my Preflop play or I have to also ajust my postflop as well?

How much should I adjust my opening hands? Is there any article on this site about shorthand play?
  • 1 reply
    • pzhon
      I'm sorry that I don't yet know what shorthanded resources are available. However, I can assure you that shorthanded games are beatable, but you get different situations.

In full ring games, you often punish casual player who limp in from early or middle position with nice-seeming hands like A8o or K7s or JTo which appear pretty but which are actually terribly unprofitable from those positions. Blind-stealing is not as common because there is usually someone who enters the pot before late position.

In shorthanded games, you get many more blind-stealing situations, both as the stealer and when you are in the blinds. Fewer hands are multiway postflop.

In blind-stealing situations, you do not need as strong of a hand to enter the pot. This is true even in full ring if everyone folds to you on the button.

Players who open-limp in shorthanded games tend to be particularly weak, both in skill and in the strength of their hands. This should draw you into the pot.

When players have weaker hands preflop and the pot is heads-up, players who hit the flop are more often going to have middle pair and bottom pair rather than top pair. So, you do want to adjust your hand evaluations so that you bet for value with weaker hands, and call down with weaker hands, and give more value to pairing outs with cards below the top card on the flop.

In practice, there are other changes you make as you are playing against a different set of players. Shorthanded players tend to be more comfortable with blind-stealing situations, and you will also encounter more maniacs.