Urgent question, poker became illegal in Romania ???

  • 16 replies
    • tcs35
      tcs35
      Bronze
      Joined: 31.01.2009 Posts: 3,583
      the world is ending as we know it
    • OZSA
      OZSA
      Bronze
      Joined: 18.05.2009 Posts: 804
      i really didnt post this to see trolling or useless replies..please..i like senseless funny/ironic/sarcastic whatever posts sometimes..but not now..thanks
    • DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      Joined: 15.06.2010 Posts: 1,975
      Look here =) http://ro.pokerstrategy.com/forum/thread.php?postid=70398#post70398
    • METALzx
      METALzx
      Bronze
      Joined: 03.08.2008 Posts: 4,501
      Same going right now in Hungary, damn politicians are so efd up
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Joined: 25.10.2008 Posts: 5,255
      That sucks :f_frown:
    • taavi1337
      taavi1337
      Bronze
      Joined: 29.05.2009 Posts: 2,920
      It's illegal in Estonia too since Jan 2010, all pokersites need to buy a license and pay taxes, otherwise ISPs are forced to blocked them. Fortunately ISPs just have to block the nameservers, so most people can still play by changing the DNS. What's worse is that banks have blocked transactions between VISA cards at poker sites, so we often have to use Moneybookers or sth like that to deposit. Also I can't play on Stars before I'm 21.
    • steIIstuI
      steIIstuI
      Bronze
      Joined: 07.02.2009 Posts: 1,587
      the thing in romania is very vague. I'm assuming you're romanian so you know how laws are in here. It's always a way around them. Also, this law doesn't ban romanian players to play .com platforms, they just want money from the platforms (license). the only thing against the players is that they would "tax" us. but that was before also. they can't know you are a player unless you go to them and tell them and pay taxes.

      anyway, this law will take a while for the EU to review first, then vote again, etc. So you shouldn't worry. pokerstars support told me there will be no problem for romanian players to play on the .com platform in the near future.
    • OZSA
      OZSA
      Bronze
      Joined: 18.05.2009 Posts: 804
      im living in romania yea, but i was born hungarian, so whatever..my question is, if i can play on full tilt till end of 2011 february or not...coz i know these fuckers in the government gonna try everything to take all our money, i wish they would fucking die, all of them with no exception...so much money came in romania by poker, cant believe what they do now, afterall, if a fucking hopeless romanian wins 1k $, he gonna spend it in romania and he gonna pay tax for whatever he buys from that 1k$...that 20%+ tax(TVA) isnt enough ffs ? i guess im not a bad person if i want them dead.

      lets say they ban right now poker for romanians on full tilt. so what i do, i take the money, and transfer on FT to another account, in another country, I withdraw then to a moneybookers, in another country still, then i send from that moneybookers to my own, and finally withdraw it to the bank. this way the government, can literally suck me, right ?
    • OZSA
      OZSA
      Bronze
      Joined: 18.05.2009 Posts: 804
      Originally posted by taavi1337
      It's illegal in Estonia too since Jan 2010, all pokersites need to buy a license and pay taxes, otherwise ISPs are forced to blocked them. Fortunately ISPs just have to block the nameservers, so most people can still play by changing the DNS. What's worse is that banks have blocked transactions between VISA cards at poker sites, so we often have to use Moneybookers or sth like that to deposit. Also I can't play on Stars before I'm 21.
      wait a bit, so its illegal in estonia but you can play on FT / stars if FT/stars payed for the government xxxx money ? thats all ? or you are actually blocked to play as an estonian (depo/withdraw address + your IP) ? and i dont get one more stuff, i heard italians are blocked aswell like french. wtf? i didnt see french on fulltilt.com since they are blocked but italians i see daily, so whats the stuff with them ? how they play on fulltilt? i dont get it.
    • taavi1337
      taavi1337
      Bronze
      Joined: 29.05.2009 Posts: 2,920
      Originally posted by OZSA
      Originally posted by taavi1337
      It's illegal in Estonia too since Jan 2010, all pokersites need to buy a license and pay taxes, otherwise ISPs are forced to blocked them. Fortunately ISPs just have to block the nameservers, so most people can still play by changing the DNS. What's worse is that banks have blocked transactions between VISA cards at poker sites, so we often have to use Moneybookers or sth like that to deposit. Also I can't play on Stars before I'm 21.
      wait a bit, so its illegal in estonia but you can play on FT / stars if FT/stars payed for the government xxxx money ? thats all ? or you are actually blocked to play as an estonian (depo/withdraw address + your IP) ? and i dont get one more stuff, i heard italians are blocked aswell like french. wtf? i didnt see french on fulltilt.com since they are blocked but italians i see daily, so whats the stuff with them ? how they play on fulltilt? i dont get it.
      Yes, the government doesnt block players, it's illegal for poker sites to do their business in Estonia if they don't buy the license. Fortunately most of the pokersites don't care about it. Overall it's not that terrible but causes some inconvenience.

      edit: I'm worried about what's happening in Romania. I hope they won't totally block everything.
    • OZSA
      OZSA
      Bronze
      Joined: 18.05.2009 Posts: 804
      so u can play and withdraw money without paying tax, basically its like nothing happend?
    • adr0001
      adr0001
      Bronze
      Joined: 02.03.2008 Posts: 271
      Originally posted by taavi1337
      Yes, the government doesnt block players, it's illegal for poker sites to do their business in Estonia if they don't buy the license. Fortunately most of the pokersites don't care about it. Overall it's not that terrible but causes some inconvenience.
      It's not illegal for poker sites, it's illegal for players from Estonia to play at those poker sites. If a poker site is from Gibraltar they must respect the Gibraltar law not the Estonian law.
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      Joined: 02.01.2009 Posts: 1,715
      afaik, a business is deemed illegal in a country unless otherwise stated.

      think about :

      -liability
      -insurance
      -laws

      If a poker site is from Gibraltar they must respect the Gibraltar law not the Estonian law.


      err no. The Gibralter gaming commission gives out licences which are meant to give you an assurance that said company is trustworthy/ not a scam.

      why would you ever think it has anything to do with the law?

      a commission is a group which is set up to fulfil a role by a third party.
      they have no legal powers, unless given to them by a government, and obviously this only extends to that country in particular!
    • fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      Joined: 12.01.2010 Posts: 862
      Originally posted by taavi1337
      It's illegal in Estonia too since Jan 2010, all pokersites need to buy a license and pay taxes, otherwise ISPs are forced to blocked them. Fortunately ISPs just have to block the nameservers, so most people can still play by changing the DNS. What's worse is that banks have blocked transactions between VISA cards at poker sites, so we often have to use Moneybookers or sth like that to deposit. Also I can't play on Stars before I'm 21.
      Hmm. Seems strange. I'm from Estonia and my VISA payments go through just fine. I'm using Google DNS and I don't have any problems with depositing, withdrawing or playing on any poker site (exept iPoker and Entraction, of course).
    • teddykgv47
      teddykgv47
      Basic
      Joined: 25.12.2010 Posts: 94
      How about Russia, anyone hear anything?
    • adr0001
      adr0001
      Bronze
      Joined: 02.03.2008 Posts: 271
      Originally posted by conall88
      afaik, a business is deemed illegal in a country unless otherwise stated.

      think about :

      -liability
      -insurance
      -laws

      If a poker site is from Gibraltar they must respect the Gibraltar law not the Estonian law.


      err no. The Gibralter gaming commission gives out licences which are meant to give you an assurance that said company is trustworthy/ not a scam.

      why would you ever think it has anything to do with the law?

      a commission is a group which is set up to fulfil a role by a third party.
      they have no legal powers, unless given to them by a government, and obviously this only extends to that country in particular!
      I wanted to say that for instance Cakepoker can't be punished in any way for accepting players from Turkey or Fulltilt can't be punished in any way for accepting players from Italy.
      Turkish people who play online are fined 60 EUR for each game they played but Cakepoker doesn't care about Turkish law and Turkey can't do anything to punish Cakepoker for this (since Cakepoker is a foreign site).