Possible to build a bankroll solely with SnG?

• ManniXXX
      ManniXXX
      Bronze
      Just quick one here, I don't have access to the sng articles yet so its maybe even answered there...

Yeah, I've been mixin it up so far with the SSS and playing a few low buy in SnGs now and again. I know if I get the cards I have a good chance to place and win in a single table sng but I also realise variance will be unavoidable but is it possible to stick solely to sng without having to play cash? Well, I can guess its possible, but is it advisable?

I'm also guessing the players get better as you move up to the higher buy ins but the $2 on FT are full of fishes.
  • 48 replies
    • Utahmar
      Utahmar
      Bronze
      Just dont play under 2+0.2, rake hurts under this. Check bankroll management, if you have the bankroll for it. As i know you need at least 30, or 50 buyins not to get busted if you are winning sng player.
    • Unam
      Unam
      It is possible and PS.com will soon release an full strategy guide to begin with SNGs, my advice would be, to wait for this guide and play some more cash until then.

For the lower limits, 50 BI should be a good enough BR. When you come to the higher limits, I would advise you to use 100BI. The reason is, as you realized yourself, variance in SNGs is incredibly high, and in the higher limits it will be even worse.
    • ManniXXX
      ManniXXX
      Bronze
      I guess I should stay away for the time being then until my bankroll gets bigger. Techincally I can play $1 but I agree with Utahmar, the rakes far too high.

• SayYesWNA
      SayYesWNA
      Bronze
      I use the SnG s to build upp som $ if I have a loosing streek on the multi table tourneys, play smal and medium MMT at Stars. Some times i dont get into the $ enough to keep my roll, then I play the SnGs 5 and 10$ at the 1,2 and 3 tables, it swings a bitt but tight/selective aggresive play = +EV. :D

May all your flopps be dominated by mine
    • dejan84
      dejan84
      Bronze
      started playing 3$ buying sng's on partypoker today. Already made 70$ clean profit.
      I play 4 tables at once. And i usually win one, and get a cash finish on two others.
      The best session was 3 wins 1 second place.
      I dont know if the opposition is crap, but you will see them calling with very very weak hands.

making money this way is a lot easier than in nanolimit cashgames, at least on partypoker. Its a different story on some poker clients with american players, they tend to overbet much much more.
      If you look at some stats, you will see that ultimatebet has at least 2x higher pot average on the same limit tables as partypoker
    • snowylee
      snowylee
      Bronze
      Isnt the rake on the party $3 very high though?
    • dejan84
      dejan84
      Bronze
      yes it is,
      3rd gets 4,8$
      2nd gets 7,2$
      1st gets 12$
      so thats a total of 24$, and all the players put in 30$ (3$ buy in with FR)

i heard its better to play higher sng's
      but my bankroll isnt big enough to go there.

But the rake is horrible on all low limits and low buy ins.

will probably wait until i win about 30-40 3$ sng, before i go to the higher buy ins (6$).
    • snowylee
      snowylee
      Bronze
      Yeah, I read in the strategy section that $3 have 25% rake, and $6 have 20%, $11 on the other hand only had 10% which is MUCH better hehe
    • ManniXXX
      ManniXXX
      Bronze
      Originally posted by dejan84
      yes it is,
      3rd gets 4,8$
      2nd gets 7,2$
      1st gets 12$
      so thats a total of 24$, and all the players put in 30$ (3$ buy in with FR)

i heard its better to play higher sng's
      but my bankroll isnt big enough to go there.

But the rake is horrible on all low limits and low buy ins.

will probably wait until i win about 30-40 3$ sng, before i go to the higher buy ins (6$).
      Wait, what? Do you mean the $3 buyin is rake included? A 10 player $3 sng should have $30 prize pool and the rake should be a % on top right?

Y'all need to play at FT. $2 is 12.5% and the 10% standard for higher levels start at $5. Just stay away from the 25% $1 ones.

It's madness over there at the moment ;)
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      at mansion it's 10% from 2$ (but they only have turbos)

at stars it's 10% at least from 5$ (not sure about 2$)

partypoker is just bad for low sng.

btw, it's $2.4+$0.6
    • finchybg
      finchybg
      Bronze
      From the featured sites at PokerStrategy, Everest Poker is the optimal choice for low sng's, because they offer 1+0,10 and 2+0,20(usually it's 1+0,20 and 2+0,40). Besides, the normal structure is available, not only the turbos with 3 min blinds, which are like lottery.
    • tHINGfISH
      tHINGfISH
      Bronze
      Yes, definitely stay away from PP for low SnG.

Titan, UB, Pokerstars (has $6+$0.50 Turbo 10s)
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      mansion i think is 2min blinds :P

it's actually OK though, people play hands faster there IMO
    • finchybg
      finchybg
      Bronze
      For regular structure Mansion want 1+0,30 which is a robbery.
      And the turbos are awful, 3 min blinds maximize the luck factor..
    • zamwise
      zamwise
      Silver
      Another annoying thing in Mansion 1$ and 2$ sng tournaments is that the payout is only top 2 (70%/30%) and since they are really turbo tourneys the luck factor is quite high.

One good starting point could be PokerStars, 1 table (9 person) sng, buy-in 1,20$, payout top 3 (4,50/2,70/1,80). It's +EV if you can finish even 3rd in 2 out of 3 tourneys played.

Suitable next step might then be 1,75$ 18 person sng, payout top 4.

Someone could think about this subject a bit more and maybe write an essay if not even an article for all whom are interested. Or is this matter already covered in those upcoming sng/tourney articles?

-- Z --
    • ManniXXX
      ManniXXX
      Bronze
      Originally posted by zamwise
      Another annoying thing in Mansion 1$ and 2$ sng tournaments is that the payout is only top 2 (70%/30%) and since they are really turbo tourneys the luck factor is quite high.

One good starting point could be PokerStars, 1 table (9 person) sng, buy-in 1,20$, payout top 3 (4,50/2,70/1,80). It's +EV if you can finish even 3rd in 2 out of 3 tourneys played.

Suitable next step might then be 1,75$ 18 person sng, payout top 4.

Someone could think about this subject a bit more and maybe write an essay if not even an article for all whom are interested. Or is this matter already covered in those upcoming sng/tourney articles?

-- Z --
      Argh! Stay away from those 20%(+) rake sngs!
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      8% rake is my max.
    • curnow
      curnow
      Bronze
      Originally posted by helemaalnicks
      8% rake is my max.
      so how did you get to be so good at playing those sit n go's and did you just build your bankroll playing them
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      Originally posted by curnow
      Originally posted by helemaalnicks
      8% rake is my max.
      so how did you get to be so good at playing those sit n go's and did you just build your bankroll playing them
      8% is my max now. I started at interpoker, first bit of cash, then s&g with too much rake, then mtt's. Now I play 15+1$ s&g at stars, and i soon move up to 25+2 (current bankroll is 2280, and thats not enough for 27's imo).

I got good by:

reading playing playing reading, more playing, even more playing, more reading, and even more playing, etc.