[NL2-NL10] KQ oop

• Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)       
      Position:
      Stack
      MP2:
      $9.45
      CO:
      $10
      Hero:
      $9.55

0.05/0.10 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.8 by www.pokerstrategy.cc.

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q:heart: , K:diamond:
      4 folds, MP2 raises to $0.40, MP3 folds, CO calls $0.40, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.30.

Flop: ($1.25) 8:club: , K:spade: , T:heart: (3 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 bets $0.50, CO folds, Hero calls $0.50.

Turn: ($2.25) 5:club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 checks.

River: ($2.25) K:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1, MP2 folds.

Final Pot: $3.25

Would you check/raise flop. Again small bet by MP2. I think it is safe to call and re-evaluate on the turn (I would choose check/call). Value bet on the river.
  • 5 replies
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      i would fold preflop, respect a raise from mp2, Kqoff isnt a very good hand, its fake. It looks very good, the 2nd highest and 3rd highest card in the deck, but its not as good as it looks. You only get in trouble with this hand, on a kq board against kk or qq, on a k board against ak, aa or kk and on a q board against aq or qq.

For the rest: well played.

btw: first in, you can raise with this hand from mp or lp, seems weird to raise and not call from bb, but this hand is playable to steal blinds or against flatcalls behind you.
    • Faye6891
      Faye6891
      Bronze
      I'd fold PF.

As played I'd check/raise the flop. You don't have a very big hand, but there are draws out there. And besides, IMO, by check/raising you get some fold equity against someone holding AK.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      I called only, because CO called, thet means that I have to put 0,30 into 1,25 pot. 4,1:1 Not very bad pot odds. I know it isn´t a very good hand, but against MP2 raising and CO calling range it is good enough.

Don´t want to build big pot oop, if MP2 should have AK. Thatś why I didn´t check/raise flop. The board isn´t so drawy, so I´ll just check/call and on that board my fold equity against AK is very small.
    • Faye6891
      Faye6891
      Bronze
      Even though you got nice odds, KQo is still a difficult hand to play and may end up getting you into trouble if you hit a K or a Q.
      The board is not so drawy but I'd be worried about QJ, J9 and even 97. So, any A, Q, J, 9, 7 or 6 may complete a draw, and you're OOP. (Thinking better about it, I think it is drawy :D )
      I'd check/raise because if he calls you're (probably) behind.
      As I said, difficult hand to play. :P
    • Thorsten77
      Thorsten77
      Black
      I fold pf despite good pot odds. The problem is that the playability of your hand sucks. You will never know if you are ahead when hitting a K or a Q. Furthermore, you won't get much value from weaker hands as they are scared by the overcard. But if the pot is getting big, you are typically behind.