This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

medium PP's from SB midgame postflop

• viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      I'm having some troubles with this particular spot and I'd like to discuss it:

Imagine this situation, typical 9max turbo tournament, you're 6-7 handed

Blinds 100/200

UTG: 1500
      UTG+1: 2000
      CO: 1750
      BU: 2000
      HERO (SB): 2700
      BB: 3000

Hero holecards: 66

I think we have 5 lines we can take preflop:
      - raise/fold
      - raise/call
      - limp/fold
      - limp/shove
      - shove

If you raise pre the decision to call or fold to a shove is "trivial" icm so I don't really want to go into that.
      Limp/shoving is also "trivial" because it's a really specific play that you can only use vs specific players imo.

I think openshoving is +$EV vs almost everyone and might be the prefered way to play the hand vs the typical loose fish. Raising or limp/stabbing isn't easy if your opponent doesn't know where his fold button is. Shoving is a pretty clean and simple way to play the hand.

I rarely raise this pre (say to like 450-500). It might be the best line vs robot multitablers who are gonna fold a huge part of their range here, but it might get tough vs good adapting regulars. We can't really call here if a good regular shoves over our raise, and it's hard to estimate his resteal range.

Vs fish raising pre get's you into a whole other situation: they are gonna call too often pre. C-betting is expensive and inefective vs this type of player imo.

I think limp/stabbing is a good line to take here vs a lot of opponents.

So I'm basicly wondering, what is the best way to play this hand vs:

- loose fish
      - robot multitablers
      - "average" fish
      - good regulars
  • 2 replies
    • zamoda
      zamoda
      Bronze
      Yeah, its a tough spot.. Usually I just shove pre and hope they call with something like A5o :-)
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      Loose fish I'm shoving all in cuz he'll be calling our raises to often and we'll find ourselfs in tricky spots postflop... I doubt he ever calls us with worse but It's still +ev

Robot Multitablers Raising to 2.25xbb and folding to a shove looks okay... These players at least on the 12's will rarely resteal loose enough to justify a call here...

Average fish - I guess it's a loose passive player?? limp/stab imo.. he's calling too much preflop and he's playing the hand too passive postflop not noticing the power he has by being in position

Raise/call against good regulars.. since they're inclined to resteal here with a lot of hands with blockers... Ax and maybe even Kx...