Duncan737 SnG blog

• Duncan737
      Duncan737
      Bronze
      Hi everyone,
      I finally decided to write my blog, which is focused on SnGs.

I am a 20 year old student of law school from Czech republic. My hobbies are poker, table-tennis, foosball and badminton.

I started playing poker from time to time with my schoolmates from grammar school, but I was horrible calling station :f_p: . In this time I was playing World of Warcraft too, btw huge waste of my time :-/, but one online "friend" give me incredible 2$ :D and I started play on pokerstars 45man SnG and regional freerolls. I made it on 50$, but my play was poor and I didn't have motivation.
      But then I discovered pokerstrategy, used free capital on FT and took it more seriously...
      I play on FT since August... I will inform u about my progress in another post.

So what u can expect?
      - SnG, SnG and only SnG, graphs from SnGs, interesting hands from SnGs
      - so cg, mtt player, etc may be disappointed
  • 160 replies
    • Kotiss
      Kotiss
      Bronze
      Hi,
      great to see another czech blog. I also decided to write blog but I want to start in new year :f_cool:

Good luck with SNGs
    • Duncan737
      Duncan737
      Bronze
      Czech invasion :s_biggrin:
    • Duncan737
      Duncan737
      Bronze
      My progress:

Because I discovered section of blogs in this forum app one month ago and I'm extremely lazy person... I should start with posting from my 12s SnG.
      So I will try briefly introduce u to my previous progress.
      Unfortunately some of my HH was mysteriously lost (1.20$, 2.25$). That's the reason why I will combinate SS/HM.

I started with 50$ capital on 1.20$ normal structure (10 august). I was playing according to charts...
      For first 14 days I've lost HH, but after 14 days I was 6tabling. I guess I played around 150 tournaments with ROI around 19% and quickly moved to more friendly rake on 2.25 stake.

At the end of August I switched to 2.25$ normal structure (8tabling)... One month later I was 15tabling. Because of some little cash outs and my nitty BRM I stayed out at this stake until end of October with overall ROI 12%. As u can see I was rather survivalist :f_biggrin: . But I was hard working on this.

Incomplete 2.25$ graph:

There were some attempts on 5.50$ normal structure, but because of really bad run of cards I moved back on 2s.

After that attempts I was really bored with normal structure and jumped on 6.50$ (turbo) at the end of October. As usual I had bad run on new stake, but my BR and confidence were still unyielding and I finally settled on this stake for another month with overall ROI 11.2%.

Complete 6.50$ graph:

My lifetime SS graph:

My SS Stake/ROI graph:

And of course a lot studying :s_mad:

That's all from the history...

Now I have BR 1596$ (cash-out 415$) - I used 330$ 1st deposit bonus (withdraw and deposit winnings)

Sorry for length of the post, but it takes 4 months. :)
    • gedwashere91
      gedwashere91
      Bronze
      Your graphs are pretty. :D
    • Duncan737
      Duncan737
      Bronze
      Just soft games. :f_cool:
    • Duncan737
      Duncan737
      Bronze
      I crushed 6s, so I moved on 12$, but I'm not comfortable with my results, althought I think I play well. 400 tournaments are still small sample, so I wanna grind more for more accurate results. Now I run into monster very often (4 bubbles in session - 3 times run AT/AJ into KK) a bubble out because of suck outs, etc. More grinding possibly help, I hope.

Btw I can't compare on 12s, but I have feeling, that games are now reg infested, 5-6 regs per table isn't exception, so maybe it hurts my results too. But I try to select tables as much as possible.

Can someone more experienced tell me your opinion about amount of regs on 12s nowadays?

My lifetime 12$ graph:
    • Duncan737
      Duncan737
      Bronze
      Finally quick post about my poker goals for December:

1) 800 games+
      2) silver Iron man
      3) settle on 12s
      4) 6% EV ROI on 12s

Now I see that point 4 was utopian and I'm affraid of my 800 games too. It isn't big volume, but I should study for my school exams. Honestly I don't started yet, but u know that feeling, that u should do something... I can't play with this feeling :s_biggrin: .
    • gedwashere91
      gedwashere91
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Duncan737
      Can someone more experienced tell me your opinion about amount of regs on 12s nowadays?
      I play $12s and find that you can get times with only 1-2 regs per table if you table select well. 5 - 6 sounds extreme, you may want to change your playing times.

And yeah, like you said, your sample size is really small, but keep up the good work :D
    • Duncan737
      Duncan737
      Bronze
      Yes, I change my playing time to app. 1:00-5:00 (CET). In this period I can select easily. But when I try to play around 18:00-20:00 (CET), it's very often 3 regs+.

Btw I'm surprised how bad regs at 12$ are. If I except their play... Table selection is most likely taboo. :f_o:
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      Man those are some amazing graphs

/jealous
    • gedwashere91
      gedwashere91
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Duncan737
      Btw I'm surprised how bad regs at 12$ are. If I except their play... Table selection is most likely taboo. :f_o:
      They are quite bad and quite exploitable. Make sure you call Nash against them when they push into you; they will frequently assume you are calling much tighter, and so you will make a lot of money off them from this.
      As for table selection... they probably use SnG sensei or whatever that auto-register function is called in TableNinja :D
    • Schris7
      Schris7
      Bronze
      Welcome to sng world mate ! We have many similarities ! I was playing table tennis as well , playing warcraft3 (not wow) and my nick was duncan !

As for your regs question i ve read in a blog that even a loosing player with a -1% roi hurts your roi at your table as well so u can imagine how much it hurts your roi playing with 5-6 regs.I know most of them are bad usually b/e rakeback machines but they still hurts your roi.I dont think players at this limit use nash so i dont know how good nash would be for u.Sngs are beatable , you just need to thave a strong stomach to face the huge swings and u need to review your game almost all the time .

Gl
    • fl4m3r
      fl4m3r
      Bronze
      Amazing graph!

I am now starting on SNG as well. I used to be a CG player but hated the robotic style of grinding and found the math aspect of SNG more challenging.

Is there any tips for a beginner like me?
    • Proky11
      Proky11
      Bronze
      Good luck @ 12s Duncan! :s_p:
    • Duncan737
      Duncan737
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Schris7
      Welcome to sng world mate ! We have many similarities ! I was playing table tennis as well , playing warcraft3 (not wow) and my nick was duncan !

As for your regs question i ve read in a blog that even a loosing player with a -1% roi hurts your roi at your table as well so u can imagine how much it hurts your roi playing with 5-6 regs.I know most of them are bad usually b/e rakeback machines but they still hurts your roi.I dont think players at this limit use nash so i dont know how good nash would be for u.Sngs are beatable , you just need to thave a strong stomach to face the huge swings and u need to review your game almost all the time .

Gl
      Hehe, there is only one thing missing - my attendance on 36s. I will repair it early, I hope. :)

about regs... Yes, I heard it too, it should be true. Of course I don't play with 6 regs, but app. weak ago I wasn't able to select table with less than 3 regs, when finally found fishy table, then bubbled out (~25% 4th places proportion for 150 tournaments :s_mad: ). I don't care about that now.

Originally posted by fl4m3r

Is there any tips for a beginner like me?
      I haven't any special advice, but some basic advices are:
      - jump on 2$ directly, if your BR allow it. Game level is same as 1$ but more friendly rake is there.
      - use charts from articles until u are capable adjust push/fold ranges by
      yourself
      - review after every session + use hand evaluation section
      - join to micro stakes study group ( Micro SnG Study Group - First post must read!! )
      - 50BI BRM 1.20$-6.50$ stakes

Personal advices:
      - read The Poker mindset (book)
      - like beginner study at least 50:50 (study:play)
      - watch all Pzhon's SnG videos!!!
      - combinate articles/videos review
      - start at normal structure, huge edge -> less variance
      - read lessthanthree's blog (<3 SnG blog : happy holidays)

Originally posted by Proky11
      Good luck @ 12s Duncan! :s_p:
      ty Proky
      Send me PM with your skype, our agreement is still valid, isn't it?
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      Solid advices!
    • fl4m3r
      fl4m3r
      Bronze
      Thank you for taking the time off to list down what i need to do! Solid and very nice of you! I will take that as a check list for the holiday~

I'm also feeling the pain of the rake currently as I have been consistently finishing 2nd and 3rd after abt 150games. $1+20cents isnt at all easy due to the rake...

Once again, I will update here and thank you officially if I manage to beat micro SNGs.

THANK YOU!
    • Duncan737
      Duncan737
      Bronze
      np
      I forget to mention some programs, whick SnG player should have:
      1) SnG wizard
      - ICM program, video about it http://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/1676/

2) Holdem manager (recommend) / Poker tracker / PS elephant
      - statistical programs to track player's stats, results and interesting hands

3) online nash calculator - http://www.holdemresources.net/hr/sngs/icmcalculator.html
      - ideal push/call ranges according to ICM, but be aware of ranges there at micro stakes, but at least for blind wars these ranges are minimum
      - strongly recommend this HeadsUp Nash Equilibrium, but mostly villains are more tighter than nash think, so again this is minimum http://www.holdemresources.net/hr/sngs/hune.html
      - be aware of calling ranges, unknowns/fishes are almost everytime a much more tighter -> your range should be as well
    • Duncan737
      Duncan737
      Bronze
      My typical run on 12s today... After 6 tournaments I was 7BI under EV :s_mad: