This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Duncan737 SnG blog

• Duncan737
      Duncan737
      Gold
      Hi everyone,
      I finally decided to write my blog, which is focused on SnGs.

I am a 20 year old student of law school from Czech republic. My hobbies are poker, table-tennis, foosball and badminton.

I started playing poker from time to time with my schoolmates from grammar school, but I was horrible calling station :f_p: . In this time I was playing World of Warcraft too, btw huge waste of my time :-/, but one online "friend" give me incredible 2$ :D and I started play on pokerstars 45man SnG and regional freerolls. I made it on 50$, but my play was poor and I didn't have motivation.
      But then I discovered pokerstrategy, used free capital on FT and took it more seriously...
      I play on FT since August... I will inform u about my progress in another post.

So what u can expect?
      - SnG, SnG and only SnG, graphs from SnGs, interesting hands from SnGs
      - so cg, mtt player, etc may be disappointed
  • 160 replies
    • Kotiss
      Kotiss
      Bronze
      Hi,
      great to see another czech blog. I also decided to write blog but I want to start in new year :f_cool:

Good luck with SNGs
    • Duncan737
      Duncan737
      Gold
      Czech invasion :s_biggrin:
    • Duncan737
      Duncan737
      Gold
      My progress:

Because I discovered section of blogs in this forum app one month ago and I'm extremely lazy person... I should start with posting from my 12s SnG.
      So I will try briefly introduce u to my previous progress.
      Unfortunately some of my HH was mysteriously lost (1.20$, 2.25$). That's the reason why I will combinate SS/HM.

I started with 50$ capital on 1.20$ normal structure (10 august). I was playing according to charts...
      For first 14 days I've lost HH, but after 14 days I was 6tabling. I guess I played around 150 tournaments with ROI around 19% and quickly moved to more friendly rake on 2.25 stake.

At the end of August I switched to 2.25$ normal structure (8tabling)... One month later I was 15tabling. Because of some little cash outs and my nitty BRM I stayed out at this stake until end of October with overall ROI 12%. As u can see I was rather survivalist :f_biggrin: . But I was hard working on this.

Incomplete 2.25$ graph:

There were some attempts on 5.50$ normal structure, but because of really bad run of cards I moved back on 2s.

After that attempts I was really bored with normal structure and jumped on 6.50$ (turbo) at the end of October. As usual I had bad run on new stake, but my BR and confidence were still unyielding and I finally settled on this stake for another month with overall ROI 11.2%.

Complete 6.50$ graph:

My lifetime SS graph:

My SS Stake/ROI graph:

And of course a lot studying :s_mad:

That's all from the history...

Now I have BR 1596$ (cash-out 415$) - I used 330$ 1st deposit bonus (withdraw and deposit winnings)

Sorry for length of the post, but it takes 4 months. :)
    • gedwashere91
      gedwashere91
      Bronze
      Your graphs are pretty. :D
    • Duncan737
      Duncan737
      Gold
      Just soft games. :f_cool:
    • Duncan737
      Duncan737
      Gold
      I crushed 6s, so I moved on 12$, but I'm not comfortable with my results, althought I think I play well. 400 tournaments are still small sample, so I wanna grind more for more accurate results. Now I run into monster very often (4 bubbles in session - 3 times run AT/AJ into KK) a bubble out because of suck outs, etc. More grinding possibly help, I hope.

Btw I can't compare on 12s, but I have feeling, that games are now reg infested, 5-6 regs per table isn't exception, so maybe it hurts my results too. But I try to select tables as much as possible.

Can someone more experienced tell me your opinion about amount of regs on 12s nowadays?

My lifetime 12$ graph:
    • Duncan737
      Duncan737
      Gold
      Finally quick post about my poker goals for December:

1) 800 games+
      2) silver Iron man
      3) settle on 12s
      4) 6% EV ROI on 12s

Now I see that point 4 was utopian and I'm affraid of my 800 games too. It isn't big volume, but I should study for my school exams. Honestly I don't started yet, but u know that feeling, that u should do something... I can't play with this feeling :s_biggrin: .
    • gedwashere91
      gedwashere91
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Duncan737
      Can someone more experienced tell me your opinion about amount of regs on 12s nowadays?
      I play $12s and find that you can get times with only 1-2 regs per table if you table select well. 5 - 6 sounds extreme, you may want to change your playing times.

And yeah, like you said, your sample size is really small, but keep up the good work :D
    • Duncan737
      Duncan737
      Gold
      Yes, I change my playing time to app. 1:00-5:00 (CET). In this period I can select easily. But when I try to play around 18:00-20:00 (CET), it's very often 3 regs+.

Btw I'm surprised how bad regs at 12$ are. If I except their play... Table selection is most likely taboo. :f_o:
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      Man those are some amazing graphs

/jealous
    • gedwashere91
      gedwashere91
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Duncan737
      Btw I'm surprised how bad regs at 12$ are. If I except their play... Table selection is most likely taboo. :f_o:
      They are quite bad and quite exploitable. Make sure you call Nash against them when they push into you; they will frequently assume you are calling much tighter, and so you will make a lot of money off them from this.
      As for table selection... they probably use SnG sensei or whatever that auto-register function is called in TableNinja :D
    • Schris7
      Schris7
      Bronze
      Welcome to sng world mate ! We have many similarities ! I was playing table tennis as well , playing warcraft3 (not wow) and my nick was duncan !

As for your regs question i ve read in a blog that even a loosing player with a -1% roi hurts your roi at your table as well so u can imagine how much it hurts your roi playing with 5-6 regs.I know most of them are bad usually b/e rakeback machines but they still hurts your roi.I dont think players at this limit use nash so i dont know how good nash would be for u.Sngs are beatable , you just need to thave a strong stomach to face the huge swings and u need to review your game almost all the time .

Gl
    • fl4m3r
      fl4m3r
      Bronze
      Amazing graph!

I am now starting on SNG as well. I used to be a CG player but hated the robotic style of grinding and found the math aspect of SNG more challenging.

Is there any tips for a beginner like me?
    • Proky11
      Proky11
      Bronze
      Good luck @ 12s Duncan! :s_p:
    • Duncan737
      Duncan737
      Gold
      Originally posted by Schris7
      Welcome to sng world mate ! We have many similarities ! I was playing table tennis as well , playing warcraft3 (not wow) and my nick was duncan !

As for your regs question i ve read in a blog that even a loosing player with a -1% roi hurts your roi at your table as well so u can imagine how much it hurts your roi playing with 5-6 regs.I know most of them are bad usually b/e rakeback machines but they still hurts your roi.I dont think players at this limit use nash so i dont know how good nash would be for u.Sngs are beatable , you just need to thave a strong stomach to face the huge swings and u need to review your game almost all the time .

Gl
      Hehe, there is only one thing missing - my attendance on 36s. I will repair it early, I hope. :)

about regs... Yes, I heard it too, it should be true. Of course I don't play with 6 regs, but app. weak ago I wasn't able to select table with less than 3 regs, when finally found fishy table, then bubbled out (~25% 4th places proportion for 150 tournaments :s_mad: ). I don't care about that now.

Originally posted by fl4m3r

Is there any tips for a beginner like me?
      I haven't any special advice, but some basic advices are:
      - jump on 2$ directly, if your BR allow it. Game level is same as 1$ but more friendly rake is there.
      - use charts from articles until u are capable adjust push/fold ranges by
      yourself
      - review after every session + use hand evaluation section
      - join to micro stakes study group ( Micro SnG Study Group - First post must read!! )
      - 50BI BRM 1.20$-6.50$ stakes

Personal advices:
      - read The Poker mindset (book)
      - like beginner study at least 50:50 (study:play)
      - watch all Pzhon's SnG videos!!!
      - combinate articles/videos review
      - start at normal structure, huge edge -> less variance
      - read lessthanthree's blog (<3 SnG blog : happy holidays)

Originally posted by Proky11
      Good luck @ 12s Duncan! :s_p:
      ty Proky
      Send me PM with your skype, our agreement is still valid, isn't it?
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      Solid advices!
    • fl4m3r
      fl4m3r
      Bronze
      Thank you for taking the time off to list down what i need to do! Solid and very nice of you! I will take that as a check list for the holiday~

I'm also feeling the pain of the rake currently as I have been consistently finishing 2nd and 3rd after abt 150games. $1+20cents isnt at all easy due to the rake...

Once again, I will update here and thank you officially if I manage to beat micro SNGs.

THANK YOU!
    • Duncan737
      Duncan737
      Gold
      np
      I forget to mention some programs, whick SnG player should have:
      1) SnG wizard
      - ICM program, video about it http://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/1676/

2) Holdem manager (recommend) / Poker tracker / PS elephant
      - statistical programs to track player's stats, results and interesting hands

3) online nash calculator - http://www.holdemresources.net/hr/sngs/icmcalculator.html
      - ideal push/call ranges according to ICM, but be aware of ranges there at micro stakes, but at least for blind wars these ranges are minimum
      - strongly recommend this HeadsUp Nash Equilibrium, but mostly villains are more tighter than nash think, so again this is minimum http://www.holdemresources.net/hr/sngs/hune.html
      - be aware of calling ranges, unknowns/fishes are almost everytime a much more tighter -> your range should be as well
    • Duncan737
      Duncan737
      Gold
      My typical run on 12s today... After 6 tournaments I was 7BI under EV :s_mad: