downswing to start of with

• masterroj
      masterroj
      Bronze
      Started with a bankroll of 250 including the 50 from pokerstrategy.
      Been playing mostly 1 dollar sng's and .01-.02 and been having a downswing of about 15% of my bankroll. Been playing for 4 days now and it is frustrating that I keep putting my money in with the best of it and then getting drawn out or being set up like crazy. I have been reading the articles about sng's and followed the hand charts but it seems like I keep getting screwed on the bubble.
      Do you guys follow the charts when you are close to the bubble (obviously it depends on how big your stack is, but assume it is medium size... As i said, I just seems to be drawn out or set up over and over again and thats why I am thinking that I maybe should play tighter around the bubble)?

Finishing up by saying that obviously everyone have downswings, just tough to start out with losing almost 20% of the stack, fortunately I still have 215 buyins on the 1 dollar sng's.
  • 18 replies
    • HannesZ
      HannesZ
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey masterroj,

This doesn't sound good :/

Please post some hands in our hand evaluation board:
      Hand Evaluations SNG up to $5

Our hand judges will look at the hands and tell you if your play was good. So you can improve your game.

Have you seen already our ICM trainer?
      Training: The ICM Trainer

With this program you can improve your ICM game, which is very important to beat the SNGs.

If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Best regards,
      Hannes
    • masterroj
      masterroj
      Bronze
      Yes sir, already downloaded the ICM program and have posted some hands etc. Just seems to be running very bad.... Hopefully it will turn around. I will keep posting on the progress.
    • masterroj
      masterroj
      Bronze
      Keeps getting worse. down 30% of roll now, today is the worst day so far sick bad beats and setups.
    • Tuvoc
      Tuvoc
      Bronze
      Mate dont let it get to u ... !!
      I rly dont know how much u played but it happens all u can do is get back to strategy articles read them listen to coachings and it will be ok ... !!
      You cant expet to get paid every tourney especialy if ur a Sng player like me !!
      This is comming from a noob :D

Gl on the tables m8 !!
    • masterroj
      masterroj
      Bronze
      In all this darkness I found a little bit of light a few minutes and just thought I could share it with everyone.... Im playing a 0.5 turbo R/A at the moment and had KK in late position, I bet, got one caller, BB raises and I go all in and both calls. BB shows AA, the fish shows KQ suited and I have my KK..... River the last K for a one outer.... First time in my poker career (have had about 6 of those aginst me so about time :P ).
      Anyways, just wanted to let everyone out there know that it isnt impossible even when you are having a bad run.
      Ill write and let youll know how I finish in the tourney.
    • Tuvoc
      Tuvoc
      Bronze
      Hope u do well gl :D !!
    • masterroj
      masterroj
      Bronze
      Finished in 22nd out of about 220 I think. Had alot of bad beats but keept fighting. Got my money in with aq vs a9 ak vs a10 and 88 vs 66 preflop but lost all those in the end of the tourney (if I won those three I would haev been chipleader and it would have looked really good). Does anyone know if I can post an entire tournament somewhere on this site and have anyone analysis it for me? I feel like I played very well but as it has been over the last 5 days, the bad beats kills me.
    • masterroj
      masterroj
      Bronze
      just finished 4th in a 1000 guaranteed with 81 starting. Was chipleader and tried to push them around but got caught in two big hands - once when the guy hit tripps on flop and the other when I went all in with A3 on button and got called by JJ on BB. Ohh well, got $135 so bankroll is back on track.
    • L3ST
      L3ST
      Bronze
      I suggest to focus on one type of poker to play so that you can get better at it. MTT's + rebuy MTT's + cash games + SNG's make too much info to process. Study just one type of poker and keep maybe one for fun. I'm not saying you're not capable of playing all of them, just that you won't be at your maximum level of poker if you play/study all of them.
    • ricardo132
      ricardo132
      Bronze
      Dear masterroj,

Like you i am playing s&g 1 and 2 dolar buy-in. I started with the $50 free capital and reached $75 in 10 days. In this time i have been going up and down, i have been in the $40 but i went up.

why is that?

Because when you play well, in long term you will have success. I have played a fair good amount of S&G.

What you need to do?

Find out donks in the low limits, be super tight in the begining and wait for 2-4 to lose(depending on full ring or 6-max) and then wait for good hands and exploit them. BECAUSE THEY ARE GOING TO CALL WITH ALMOST EVERY HAND.

Bubble?

In the buble remember, play it push/fold. You got high blinds so dont play tight or your going to get short and go all-in without a good hand. Push sometimes with a worse hand, you got to open up your range of hands when doing this. 9T or 87 is good enough to push all your chips to the table when doing push/fold.

heads-up?

Probably the blinds will be very high so try to get good hand and raise it up, get the vilan to lose a lot of chips this way and when u feel confortable go all-in pre-flop with a pocket pair or other good hand.

Really hope i've helped

Give me some feedback if i did.

Cheers bro,

Ricardo Costa
    • masterroj
      masterroj
      Bronze
      L3ST, I believe you are very correct when you say that I should focus on one type. I have played a few MTT during the last few days and really like them alot and have already had 3 in the money with a 4th place and $140 as the best so far. Unfortunately I have been donked out when it really matters. In the last one I played ($1500 guranteed R/A) there where 22 players left and I am dealt QQ (was about 10 in chips) and have a guy call in mid position, I raise it up pretty heavy and one short stack calls all in and the other guy calls. Flop is 954 three suites and I go all in 4/5 of pot and the donk calls and shows A6 offsuite and hit his A on river, the other guy shows K10. So instead of being chipleader (pot was about 30,000 and leader had 24K) I am out of the tourney..... It is just so frustrating that this keeps happening over and over, im just waiting for one break, one tourney where this shit doesnt happen. Atleast I feel that if I stay focused and stay with my strategy I can reach the money in a good percentage of these tourneys.
      When it comes to SNG's I have been playing extremelly tight and wait for strong hands but as I have mentioned the fish keeps killing me on the table with their donkcalls/badbeats (6 straight days now) So im waiting for my break, hopefully it will come.
    • masterroj
      masterroj
      Bronze
      Just wanna post my SNG's and MTT's here and the major hands in them.

SNG $5BI, 10 plrs, AK suited in middle position, one raise b4 me, I just call. flop KQ3, preraiser bet, I raise he calls. turn 4 I go all in (potsize), he calls and shows KJ, river J.

Lost next one SNG $5, 10plrs on bubble, went all in with 33 with 6BB in mid position and BB called with A6, flip so no prob but would be nice to win one of these sometime.

Lost another one where I played stupid and let the blinds eat me up (double or nothing tournament)

Won a $5 SNG, solid play.

SNG $10BI, 30plrs, big Chipleader with 18,000 with 5 plrs left and lose 3 coinflips in a row (AK vs 88) (AQ vs77) and (99 vs AK) and goes down to 8000, then I win two coin flips in a row and moved up to chiplead again. Played solid and finally HU and wins the tourney with 88 vs 97 all in preflop. $120 for that, sweet.

SNG $5, 30plrs, had a bad beat with KK VS JJ and lost a coin flip with AQ vs 99 (hit A on flop but a 9 on turn). get to the final 3 (was short stack the whole final table but got my money in with strong hands), got back and had about 25% of the chips on the table but finaly went out when I pushed on SB with 44 and BB calls and shows 77. $22.5 is ok but felt like I came back strong and could have taken home the tourney.

$1,000 GP freezeout, 100 of 300 still in it. Have 7000 chips. have 1010 and bet in early position, have one caller flop 236, I bet, the guy raises and I go all in, HE CALLS WITH AQ no flush cards out. Turn 8 river A so Im out again.
    • masterroj
      masterroj
      Bronze
      Bankroll $315.
    • masterroj
      masterroj
      Bronze
      middle of a few MTT's
      Just left as 189 in a $9K guaranteed freezout of 650 plrs. Got it in with A10 vs K10 and a K on the flop and it was over (just didnt catch any cards at all so never had anything to work with and had to push with 8BB left).

Currently also playing the $18K and have a mid stack and so feel very good about this tournament and a $1,5K freezout with 540 plrs which is almost in the money. Just as with the $9K tourney I am catching very few start hands and so hopefully I will catch some hands soon and start building my stack.
    • masterroj
      masterroj
      Bronze
      Ouchhh, just picked AQ on BB and Button moves all in I call and he shows A8 (pot =42,000) he hits 8 so now im down to 31K again (would haev been 5th in chips if the 78% held once). now I need to grind it out again.
      Also picked up QQ at the same time on the $1500 freezout and went all in and BB shows AA (both of us hit trips).
    • masterroj
      masterroj
      Bronze
      worked the stack up to 200k and was 2nd largest stack and then ofcourse it happens again. Guy moves all in and I call with AQ and he shows kj, turn k so instead of about 300k i have 100k then I move in with 22 in late position and both button and BB calls and they show AK and AJ, turn is a K and the same guy takes the pot from me AGAIN. Finally i move in with 44 in middle position (last 35k) and button and big blinds goes all in and shows AA and KK. Such a sick tourney, could have been AMAZING but now I lost in 24th place. $150 bucks is always something but I saw that 5.5K first place pretty close to me for a while until disaster struck once again on WILLIAM HILL, Im about to take my money out of their and move it somewhere else.

Anyways, BR $426
    • ivangavazzi
      ivangavazzi
      Bronze
      Hey man! Nice too see that you made $150 in that MTT.

I'm new playing poker for money but I really want to take it serious. For now I am concentrating in S'n'G with $1BI. Until Now I had goog results and achieved a BR of $70 with an ROI 53%.

Usually I follow the charts in the early game (+-) but in turbos sngs the mid phase seens to be very quickly and most of the times it goes directly to the late phase because playing tight in the early phase usually let us with less chips than our loose oponents if we don't get a good hand.

You are thinking to play tighter in the bubblee , and your opponents seens to be thinking that too. Everybody is thinking something like this: "if I lose now, I will get nothing.I should play safer" . Well explore yours oponents pushing all in often, and stealing the high blinds. That will help you to pass the bubble more times, and you will have more chips to fight for the the first place too. Be agressive in the late phase. I read Colin Moshman and learned that stuff, and till now its working amazingly well. Today I was taking a look to the book Mathematics of Poker and the autors suggest the same strategy, playing very agressively, because even if you push with any hand (and of course you will not do that unless you are going to be blinded out) in the bubble the hand range of your opponents should be less than 10% to be profitable. In some situations even less tha that.

And one last thing that I learned these days that i like is SAGE for heads up. Look over the internet for articles about this, but using this and exploring my oponents weakness I was able to get firts place (when in the money) 73% of the time.

I hope this may help you.

Wish you money!!
    • L3ST
      L3ST
      Bronze
      Try opening up a blog on the forum to keep track of your results, bad beats, any piece of mind you have to share.