[NL2-NL10] 2nd nuts straight on turn

• meridius
      meridius
      Bronze
      Preflop and flop seem standard to me. On turn, I hit the gutshot, and get reraise on my check-raise. Should I have shoved the river, or rather not?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      MP3:
      $11.39
      CO:
      $10.00
      BU:
      $10.00
      SB:
      $20.12
      BB (Hero):
      $11.31
      MP2:
      $12.59

Preflop: Hero is BB with K, 9.
      MP2 calls $0.10, 4 folds, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.25) Q, T, 3 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 checks.

Turn: ($0.25) J (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 bets $0.10, Hero raises to $0.40, MP2 raises to $0.70, Hero calls $0.30.

River: ($1.65) 5 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 bets $1.57, Hero raises to $10.51, MP2 calls $8.94.

Final Pot: $22.67.
  • 3 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello meridius,

Flop: You could even donk here. :) You often take the pot down and even if not then you still have a GS.

As played
      Turn: Depends what kind of opponent are we against, if we are against like 60/2 then AK might be even in his range but if not then I would likely even raise the turn again for value.

As played if turn was Raise/Called
      River: It's actually doable against some fish and he may still us Call with some hands like 2pairs, set or something similar. So therefore ain't wrong. He had AK?

Best regards.
    • meridius
      meridius
      Bronze
      Originally posted by veriz
      Flop: You could even donk here. :) You often take the pot down and even if not then you still have a GS.
      Why is this spot suitable for such (semi-)bluff? Is it the preflop action, or board structure?

Turn: Depends what kind of opponent are we against, if we are against like 60/2 then AK might be even in his range but if not then I would likely even raise the turn again for value.
      The opponent seemed rather fishy, yet I had only a few hands on him, so didn't have some more accurate reads. However, I interpret his reraise as value-raise, as he can't expect me to fold after min-raising my raise.

He had AK?
      Yes, he had.

Thanks for the evaluation.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Why is this spot suitable for such (semi-)bluff? Is it the preflop action, or board structure?

Since their limping range is a lot weaker in this spot and which they are able to fold, and even if they do Call us, then we still have a GS. Also, if you planning to Call anyways against his bet? Then why not try to bet yourself and maybe even take it down. Unless your plan was directly to Check/Fold.

The opponent seemed rather fishy, yet I had only a few hands on him, so didn't have some more accurate reads. However, I interpret his reraise as value-raise, as he can't expect me to fold after min-raising my raise.

If you took his min-raise as value raise then why did you just Check/Over-Shove river? Then raise again on turn and it will be easier to get the money in. If you are planning to play for stacks.

Also I'd like to add that I usually rather prefer to take such Check/Over-Shove line with pure nuts, therefore we will not face that often a rare better combo or even a split, which gives us just a split, where we just lose the rake.

Plus make a note on him that he min-raises with very strong hand.

Yes, he had.

Yep, could be the case, have seen that kind of opponents, who even limp with AK, and mostly only raise with KK, AA. Just take a note on him, so next time you will know where you stand when he decides to raise.