What Are The Most Popular Poker Variants?

• Ickki
      Ickki
      Bronze
      I started with No Limit Hold'em, but would like to get to know some other variants. What are the most popular ones that are worth learning?

I was considering some form of Omaha, Stud and Low-Ball, maybe some fixed limit.
  • 6 replies
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Omaha is the most popular game besides holdem and worth learning for sure. Its also fun but the your equity edges are lower then in holdem so variance can get pretty sick so get ready for 20-30 BI swings.
    • teddykgv47
      teddykgv47
      Basic
      20-30 buyin swings sound normal even for Holdem :D It can be much worse on Omaha actually.

Another popular card game has beeh Gin Rummy lately. It is not poker at all, but you can check it out - it is quite fun, and it is evolving rapidly.
    • Alficor1
      Alficor1
      Bronze
      Try Stud Hi imo.. its not as popular as PLO or HE, but the edge here is so huge that its def worth learning. :f_cool: In the low limits, i'd say that like 5% of players have an idea of what they're doing and the rest just call all the way to see all 7 cards. :f_cool:
    • adr0001
      adr0001
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MatejM47
      Its also fun but the your equity edges are lower then in holdem so variance can get pretty sick so get ready for 20-30 BI swings.
      5 card draw is exactly the opposite. It's a boring game, the equity edges are bigger than in hold'em and the variance is very low. I've heard that for fixed limit SH 5CD 100 big bets is enough (in hold'em for the same game you need at least 500 big bets).
    • adr0001
      adr0001
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Alficor1
      Try Stud Hi imo.. its not as popular as PLO or HE, but the edge here is so huge that its def worth learning. :f_cool: In the low limits, i'd say that like 5% of players have an idea of what they're doing and the rest just call all the way to see all 7 cards. :f_cool:
      Some players say this is the most difficult game of poker. The variance is also bigger than in hold'em. Big pairs lose more often (in hold'em the average winning hand is top pair, in stud is Aces-up) and there is one extra betting round compared to hold'em.

"Any game where there's more decisions to make is a more skillful game. If someone can master stud, then they can master any poker game."--Chip Reese
    • Alficor1
      Alficor1
      Bronze
      Originally posted by adr0001
      Some players say this is the most difficult game of poker. The variance is also bigger than in hold'em. Big pairs lose more often (in hold'em the average winning hand is top pair, in stud is Aces-up) and there is one extra betting round compared to hold'em.

"Any game where there's more decisions to make is a more skillful game. If someone can master stud, then they can master any poker game."--Chip Reese
      Well its def difficult game.. but to be honest, to beat micro stud it's just enough to watch stud sessions at FT academy. Then you'll know so much more then everybody else at the table, that you'll crush the games without any problems.