[NL20-NL50] 50NL rush KJ river bluff in 3bet pot

• ArtisSkirpa
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.25/$0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      BU (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is BU with J, K.
      3 folds, Hero raises to $1.50, SB folds, BB raises to $5.50, Hero calls $4.00.

Flop: ($11.25) Q, 4, 8 (2 players)
      BB bets $6.00, Hero calls $6.00.

Turn: ($23.25) 6 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $12.00, BB calls $12.00.

River: ($47.25) 7 (2 players)
      BB checks, [COLOR=red]Hero ?

Villain is 21/18, 8.9 3bet, 100 fold to 4bet, 89 cbet, 17 WTSD over 500 hands

Preflop: I called IP because I think KJs is good enough to play vs his wide 3betting range, too good to 4bet bluff.

Flop: I decided to float, because he should be cbetting this flop with most of his air, the Q of spades also gives us a ton of backdoor draws (backdoors FTW obv)

Turn: So when he checks the turn I think he is mostly giving up and is just going to ch/fold a ton here, so I just 1/2 potted it. We also have no SD value, no draw so we're not giving anything up if he ch/raises.

River: I think we can get him off a ton of his range here, like the 99-JJ 89s, maybe some weak queens and definitely A highs like AK if he decided to peal the turn with that. Is this a profitable river shove here?
  • 2 replies
    • MatejM47
      I agree with your play on pre-flop-turn. I'd play it the same way for the reasons you mentioned.

The river is a pretty good spot to shove imo, reasons being its hard for him to call you with anything less then a Q, considering there was absolutely no draws at any point in the hand so its way harder for him to make a hero call here since he can't put you on a busted draw. You also get a pretty good price on your bluff as well.

And like you sad, there's many hands his peeling the turn with that can't stand a river shove, unless you got a crazy maniac image. It also depends if your opponent is tricky and can play big hands that way as well.
    • Kaitz20
      17% wtsd would likely not c/c river with TT/JJ, so if you think like 3 sec and then shove for "value" I think he would fold everything else than KQ+
      Agree your flop float and turn bet. But since I´m not sure if you want to shove for example T, A, K or call J, K cards I think you can also just raise flop to 13$.
      It is good imo the next reasons:
      - If he is not crazy then he would b/f there AK/AJ/AT that he might barrle even on blank turn cards especially if he picks up flushdraw
      - most players would b/f there JJ-99. If you just call then he would very likely c/c these hands on the turn and decides on the river if he wants to call shove
      - You don´t really have that much showdown with K high that you can check it down and expect to be ahead (what you may consider doing for example the same situation AJs)