[NL2-NL10] NL5 Checking behind to value town myself

• fryandspicy
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Known players:
      BU (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is BU with J, J.
      CO posts deadblind, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.05, MP3 calls $0.05, CO checks, Hero raises to $0.37, SB calls $0.35, BB folds, MP2 calls $0.32, 2 folds, CO folds.

Flop: ($1.26) 6, 2, A (3 players)
      SB checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($1.26) 9 (3 players)
      SB bets $1.31, MP2 folds, Hero calls $1.31.

River: ($3.88) 5 (2 players)
      SB bets $1.56, Hero calls $1.56.

Final Pot: $7.

I isolate preflop with my jacks and get two callers, then the flop is dry but with an ace. A cbet would not get any worse hands to call, and only QQ and KK to fold that have me beat. However, the check behind makes it hard to interpret agression on later streets and I can end up making weak calls if they do have the ace. Against a bluffy fish my line is fine, what about the average player? Should I just cbet/fold this board with jacks?
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      Hello fryandspicy,

Flop: Being PFA, you could CBet this flop but Checking behind and trying to keep the pot small is definitely fine. They could still fold a lot of PPs, which it could be a chance that they hit a set on further streets.
      Turn: I don't like the Call at all! Since you didn't post any stats or reads, I don't see any good reason why we should continue here. He is overbetting into multiway pot, I usually see this a pretty strong line which is trying to extract value.

As played
      River: Fold it. :)

Best regards.