[NL2-NL10] A9s on the Button

• Navrark
      Navrark
      Bronze
      Hello,

I just wanted to review this "less than optimal" play of mine:

[Pre-Flop] The player who min-raised was new to the table. I figured he was probably loose due to his stack size but I had not gotten any reads yet. I made the call because I was "in position." I figure this call was poor for the following reasons:

[Pre-Flop] If he had AT+ I would be dominated, so the call was bad especially since I knew nothing about what he might be raising with. Also, it would be more wise to re-raise him pre-flop than to call because that would help me to better identify what he might hold. Calling left me in a tough spot post-flop.

[Post-Flop] He also bet Pot Size so I figure that should be a good sign he may have something, yet I re-raised because it was a fairly dry flop with only Jack high. But with such a massive bet on the Flop he either sensed weakness or - more likely - he actually held a good hand.

Basically, I should have folded pre-flop.

Is my analysis of my play correct?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      UTG1:
      $1.38
      UTG2:
      $0.77
      MP1:
      $4.07
      MP2:
      $0.85
      MP3:
      $3.84
      CO:
      $2.30
      BU (Hero):
      $2.00
      SB:
      $8.40
      BB:
      $2.00

Preflop: Hero is BU with A, 9.
      UTG1 raises to $0.04, 5 folds, Hero calls $0.04, 2 folds, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.11) J, 8, 2 (2 players)
      UTG1 bets $0.11, Hero raises to $0.22, UTG1 calls $0.11.

Turn: ($0.55) 6 (2 players)
      UTG1 bets $0.55
  • 2 replies
    • alexgeor
      alexgeor
      Bronze
      1 bb raise from utg+1 everyone else folds...

either 3bet hard or fold from the button.

your analysis is spot on.

also: why dont you reraise properly on flop if you sense weakness?

your raise amount declares weakness.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Navrark,

Preflop: Actually I would advice not to play in such situations at the beginning, you put yourself such into difficult spots. But also when you decided to play the hand, then I'd rather just 3bet such minraise and take the initiative. Just try to get the starting hand chart play, that should help you move up limits and then you can loosen up, when you start to understanding the gameplay.

As played
      Flop: Actually I don't like it at all, he is betting pot here, and I would likely sence more strength in this bet than weakness, therefore I'd just give it up. As you decided to raise, I'd raise a bit bigger, ~$0,33. But safer it's not to overplay your hands, just fold it and try to play solid ABC poker.
      Turn: Fold, we can't make him fold. :)

Best regards.