about bluff

• daisuke3823
      daisuke3823
      Bronze
      it happens often when I have overcards and no position.
      I continuation bet on the flop,and then semi bluff on the turn,and get called,
      and I dont hit on the river,and I check, and then most of the time,my opponent bets.
      when it happens,I always wonder if I should call with A high or King high.
      can I call it when there is not much straight or flush draw on board or having some reading about him?
  • 4 replies
    • lamafao
      lamafao
      Bronze
      I wrote something, I'm sorry but i just noticed that you are talking about fixed limit :) stupid me, sorry :)
    • gape0000
      gape0000
      Bronze
      The answer is just impossible to give on such a broad topic.

Firstly u have so many different boards and opponents so the best thing u can do is to look at each individual situation separately.

But in general on that kind of river spots when im unimproved i look at several factors :

- what is his range in particular spot and how many draws versus made hands he has

- how will he play his pairs on flop/turn/river , is he passive/aggressive, will he call-down low/mid pairs but raise top pairs?, same with draws is he aggressive or passive with them

- is he the guy that will always bet when you show weakness - u can bluff catch a lot versus this type of opponent (good reads/notes help)

- also against showdown bound opponents u can often valuebet strong Ax hands rather then C/C with them in those spots where he has alot of weaker Ax and good Kx and will probably check behind.

Hope this helps a bit , gl
    • Dawnfall26
      Dawnfall26
      Black
      Hi!

Very often it is correct to just calldown with Ahigh FD as it holds too much SD value to sembluff an this way you also avoid though river decition.

But yes, it all depends on the things gate mentioned and you should really post examples to get a better picture.
    • pinnryder
      pinnryder
      Bronze
      Originally posted by gape0000
      The answer is just impossible to give on such a broad topic.

Firstly u have so many different boards and opponents so the best thing u can do is to look at each individual situation separately.

But in general on that kind of river spots when im unimproved i look at several factors :

- what is his range in particular spot and how many draws versus made hands he has

- how will he play his pairs on flop/turn/river , is he passive/aggressive, will he call-down low/mid pairs but raise top pairs?, same with draws is he aggressive or passive with them

- is he the guy that will always bet when you show weakness - u can bluff catch a lot versus this type of opponent (good reads/notes help)

- also against showdown bound opponents u can often valuebet strong Ax hands rather then C/C with them in those spots where he has alot of weaker Ax and good Kx and will probably check behind.

Hope this helps a bit , gl
      Very solid advice. If you have no idea how this opponent plays you can call the river bet and make a note for future decisions.