How did the pros learn the game?

Bronze
      So how did all the nowadays popular and successful players like Phil Ivey, Phil Hellmuth, Daniel Negreanu and others learn to play poker? They didn't have the opportunities we have nowadays on the Net, yet somehow they earn millions and enjoy lives of luxury by playing poker.

Are they worse than, let's say, pokerstrategy.com pros, who have studied the theory and who constantly improve their game?
  • 26 replies
    • MP89EST
      MP89EST
      Bronze
      They got succesful because they put in many hours and learned the game by analysing and thinking deeply about the game.
    • Alficor1
      Alficor1
      Bronze
      And also reading poker books may have helped too.
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      There used to be some great rock drawings and stone tablets in rotation about the finer points of delayed-cbetting and thin value-bets.
    • pogodon
      pogodon
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MP89EST
      They got succesful because they put in many hours and learned the game by analysing and thinking deeply about the game.
      i highly doubt that, to be honest i think the pro's got lucky and then gradualy got better look at your example, daniel negreanu he won a bracelet in his first ever tournement other pro's like mike matusow who has won alot to be fair i dont think he spent hours anaylising, phil ivey et. they just have that natual gift they played for so long since they were young they got better,

it can be seen all over other things like sport, football players are just born with that speciality like the africans players who obviously dont have the best equipment coachs etc can still become great..

my point is you either have it or you dont and reading books can make you better but cant make you brilliant or else everybody would be a pro
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      I think most "pro" as they call themselves back then were in fact lucky as pogodon said. Some of them had a better knowledge of the game mostly by experience and by being naturally TAG players. (Tight raising range). You can just look at "Rounder" to get an idea how it could work back then. While it is fictionnal I think it's pretty close to the truth. Noawadays, those pros are nothing like the internet pros.

The future generation of "pros" will be unbeatable since they will be winners online and have spent hours of studying every aspects of their game. Only Phil Ivey is the only one I think that will be able to keep up.
    • dallievas
      dallievas
      Bronze
      they just have that natual gift

agree :D I even have scientific prove why so much finish poker players so aggro 'Impulsive' Gene Identified in Finnish Men
      :f_confused:
    • pogodon
      pogodon
      Bronze
      internet pro's are millon times better for example

• alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      the games where super soft you didn't need to get as good to crush them.

it was also harder to get better , that's why there's still some respect for the old school pro's (except hellmuth)
    • fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      It's the same as with the pop-stars. There are thousands of people out there who sing better and look better, but there isn't much point in bringing them in the spotlight because producing a new star with his/her own distinguishable trademark takes time, money and energy, and after all masses are happy with the existing ones, so why bother.

Live poker stars are all about appearance. The guys who appear on tv-shows have their trademarks. Ivey with his staring thing, Tony G with his cackle, Hellmuth with his bitching, Brunson with his cool hat. People are used to them and have a good laugh watching them, so why bother with bringing in some nerd from the internet who plays way better than them while looking boring.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      They all read "Play poker like the pros"
    • Saruniks
      Saruniks
      Bronze
      they just get lucky on tournaments or they are there because 10 years ago 95percents of players were donks who don't know how to play poker, you would beat most of those pros. Mike Matusow said that to himself ect. Only player I think is worth else is Isildur1, durrrr.

By the way.

To be pro you need:

1)Talent.
      2)A lot of work.
      3)Luck.

if you have not 1 of those, you won't.
    • pogodon
      pogodon
      Bronze
      if you think isildur1 is a good poker player your off the ball of what we are on about as i think mike matusow is even better then isildur and the only reason pokerstars made him a pro is because of commercial reasons because pokerstars only see the $$$ in poker they make poker a big joke if you ask me like for example there advertisement that pokerstrategy had a thread about its all about bringing the donks in,

and to name just 2 internet players who i think will be great live players

phil galfond < probaly the best poker player in the world ( potentialy )

luckychewy < fantastic player live (wsop) and online ( watched him crush jungleman)

them two are great players by my opinion
    • Saruniks
      Saruniks
      Bronze
      mike matusow plays ABC poker, if you talk about that. yeah ofcourse it works, but you can't big with that. I bet Isildur1 will get profit on pokerstars, just wait for it.
    • phidelity
      phidelity
      Bronze
      Show them your signature; maybe they'll tell you their secret :s_biggrin:
    • Aceton13
      Aceton13
      Bronze
      a lot of loosing players learned it by loosing alot, with every hand lost they got new informations and finally developed their own play with which they stand out of croud somehow so they are so sucesfull
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet. But yeah games were so much softer back then.

Anyway what i've read about Phil Ivey is. That he was playing in the Bellagio pretty much every day for a long time. But he wasn't really good or even a fish. But when he started discussing strategy with other pro's that's when he became a good poker player. So he got helped alot by already great players of that time and then obviously surpassed his mentors.

I think that's really how alot of pros got good. Basicaly discussing strategies with other pros and thinking about the game. And obviously they were lucky to be playing poker at that time with so much more fish.
    • randomdonk
      randomdonk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pogodon
      i think mike matusow is even better then isildur
    • JCSeerup
      JCSeerup
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fuzzyfish
      Live poker stars are all about appearance. The guys who appear on tv-shows have their trademarks. Ivey with his staring thing, Tony G with his cackle, Hellmuth with his bitching, Brunson with his cool hat. People are used to them and have a good laugh watching them, so why bother with bringing in some nerd from the internet who plays way better than them while looking boring.
      Ivey is with because he is the best player in the world and gives a lot of action and Tony G might be one of the most agresive highstakes players.

And it's right that there are a lot of good unknown online players but in a game with player like Ivey, Durrrr, Galfond, Antonius the would be the fish.
    • taavi1337
      taavi1337
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fuzzyfish
      +1