We're in BB, one fish open limps everyone folds

• alexgeor
      alexgeor
      Bronze
      We're in big blind, one fish open limps (lets put him on 30+ or even 40+) everyone else folds

Do we raise with a range of 30%?
  • 5 replies
    • Hajler
      Hajler
      Bronze
      Hello!

In this spot I am raising all but the worst hands, so at least 50%, but it also depends on the type of fish they are.

If they are a fit or fold type fish you can just raise 100% and take it down on the flop most of the time. Keep in mind that fish don't pick up on betsize tells so you can just bet small when you miss and big when you hit. However, you obviously do not want to C-bet at all against calling station type fish when you miss, so just keep it to value bets only.

Hope it helps.
    • alexgeor
      alexgeor
      Bronze
      yeah thank you very much!

thats exactly what I was thinking of doing :D

Only thing I have to consider is the range... Really you are raising 50%?
    • JonikoP
      JonikoP
      Bronze
      If they are a fit or fold type fish you can just raise 100% and take it down on the flop most of the time. Keep in mind that fish don't pick up on betsize tells so you can just bet small when you miss and big when you hit. However, you obviously do not want to C-bet at all against calling station type fish when you miss, so just keep it to value bets only.

This is great advice.

However, personally, I'm raising a narrower range OOP as I think you get into trouble way too often and most fish are loose passive. They will call the flop with pretty much any pair, flush draw, straight draw, overcards so a one and done c-bet style won't be profitable OOP.

Even against a fish, giving up position and the best hand is going to make life difficult for yourself.

IP, I'm isolating with 50%+. OOP, probably 30%.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Try barrelling again, works very often, but don't get wimpy about putting chips in. Even passive fish get twitchy to agression in a raised pot without the hand.
    • JonikoP
      JonikoP
      Bronze
      Try barrelling again, works very often, but don't get wimpy about putting chips in. Even passive fish get twitchy to agression in a raised pot without the hand.

The ability to fire a second (and third) barrel is obviously very important but this is a massive over-simplification. Blindly barrelling against fish without regard to board texture is just bad (I'm sure that's not what you were suggesting but just to clarify).