[NL20-NL50] [sh] Pl 50 AK vs calling station

• DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      Full Tilt Pot-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (5 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

saw flop

BB ($52)
      UTG ($74.05)
      MP ($201.65)
      Hero (Button) ($57.05)
      SB ($11.85)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K, A
      UTG calls $0.50, 1 fold, Hero bets $2, SB raises to $3.50, 1 fold, UTG calls $3, Hero raises to $14.50, SB calls $8.35 (All-In), UTG calls $11

Flop: ($41.35) 8, J, A (3 players, 1 all-in)
      UTG checks, Hero bets $27.50, UTG calls $27.50

Turn: ($96.35) 7 (3 players, 1 all-in)
      UTG bets $32.05 (All-In), Hero calls $15.05 (All-In)

River: ($126.45) Q (3 players, 3 all-in)

Total pot: $126.45 | Rake: $3

UTG is a calling station and Sb's a fish

My only question is about the bet sizing on the flop.
      Since he is a calling station should I just pot it for maximum protection right on the flop?
  • 5 replies
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      You can shove the flop, but we probably get more value by betting 2/3 as normal. You're never folding turn with so little left (or shouldnt be) so it doesnt make that much difference, ofc.

2/3 pot is enough for him to be making a big mistake when he calls with just his heart draw...
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      I would probably bet way less then the flop, like 10-15 just to make sure his never folding anything or maybe he goes nuts and ships it thinking his got some FE.

You don't really need protection since no matter what card comes your never folding your hand anyway considering you only have a potsize bet left on the flop so your only concern here is how to get your stack in and if you bet to big on the flop you might scare him out if some random QJ hand or some other junk he could possibly call and now has a pair.
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Kaitz, could we have your opinion? Even though we're "never" folding turn, dont we still need to "protect" our hand?

e.g. if villain somehow has a hand like KhJh on this board, imo we would be making a mistake if we bet only $10-15 here - he suddenly gets the right price for his draw. Meaning he can play perfectly against us, only investing the remainder of his stack on the turn if he hits one of his 15 outs.

Ofc, this is only one hand and most of the time he is drawing much thinner, but I still like the fish to pay up front. The other point is that he might be able to fold
      QJo if another heart comes on the turn...
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      KhJh has 11 outs not 15 outs against you but in case he does has a monster draw like QhTh that has 14 outs and you bet so small into him i think his shipping it 100% of the time even if he is a passive fish.

So all in all it doesn't really matter what you do since the money is going in anyway and i have no idea what his range for calling 4bets is, but if he calls as weak as QT then his also calling QJ, KJ and KQ and other trashy hands that he might just fold if you ship it on the flop.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tim64
      Kaitz, could we have your opinion? Even though we're "never" folding turn, dont we still need to "protect" our hand?

e.g. if villain somehow has a hand like KhJh on this board, imo we would be making a mistake if we bet only $10-15 here - he suddenly gets the right price for his draw. Meaning he can play perfectly against us, only investing the remainder of his stack on the turn if he hits one of his 15 outs.

Ofc, this is only one hand and most of the time he is drawing much thinner, but I still like the fish to pay up front. The other point is that he might be able to fold
      QJo if another heart comes on the turn...
      it doesn´t really matter that much, since even if KhJh doesn´t get correct odds he would still call/shove over our c-bet and then call turn shove. So since we´re not folding we rather should think how to get worse hands all-in, like TT or KQ. I think hero bet is fine. I´d likely go 15-17$, since then I have good amount to shove turn and if you bet too much he maybe can find to fold there smt like QJ that you don´t really want