is it just me or omaha ?

• ikbty
      ikbty
      Bronze
      I`ve started playing omaha for a little while ( 10k hands ) and it seems to me that you actually hit something roughly three times less than in holdem despite the 4 starting cards and when than finally happens your opponents usually fold pretty quickly. Is this normal or maybe my vpip should be >50 to actually hit something every 2 hours.
  • 6 replies
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Hey ikbty

I think you're asking the wrong question. You're focusing on results, which tbh are largely irrelevant, especially when you're still learning the game.

If folding is the correct play, then it's the correct play. Playing more hands so you can find more reasons to play on in a hand means you'll end up in more pots with worse hands and lose more money more often (unless you hit the good side of variance ofc).

If you keep posting hands, studying and trying to improve, you will get better results. You may still lose overall (that's variance for you) but you'll lose less and win more in the pots you do play.

Like all poker, you just need to dedicate time to improving and hopefully you'll become good enough to be a winning player long term.

Hope this helps. :f_grin:
    • ikbty
      ikbty
      Bronze
      after playing a while I`ve noticed that sometimes I concentrate more on what my opponents could have and trying to catch a bluff rather than concetrating on my own hands.
      Even after reading not only PS offered omaha strategies but others also I still cant seem to figure put 100% my flop limp/raise range. I think thats where most of the problems start. + I have a massive nonshowdown winnings drop ever since I`ve started. After 10k hands it shows me -600bb.
    • Ribbo
      Ribbo
      Bronze
      It's good that you're trying to develop some hand reading skills. But obviously you should avoid doing this for the sake of bluffing at people, as we all know in omaha, nobody ever folds. :f_biggrin:
    • adamjjj
      adamjjj
      Bronze
      i also thought it was weird that i didn't hit that often with the four cards but i suppose a big difference is that in omaha you basically never have a hand you would want to take to show down so your looking to hit the flop every time. where as in holdem you often play hands preflop which don't necessarily need to hit for you to be good.

Also people fold a lot more in holdem because they don't have as many outs as in omaha but you obviously forget all the hands that you didn't hit the flop but still took down the pot with a c-bet
    • Ribbo
      Ribbo
      Bronze
      Yes, the WTSD in holdem is quite low compared to Omaha. Non showdown winnings is pretty important in holdem, but not so in omaha due to the amount of shoves. Obviously it's still relevant because it shows if you're folding too much if the red line goes straight down :)
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Ribbo
      Yes, the WTSD in holdem is quite low compared to Omaha. Non showdown winnings is pretty important in holdem, but not so in omaha due to the amount of shoves. Obviously it's still relevant because it shows if you're folding too much if the red line goes straight down :)
      Good to know. :f_cry: