Looking at your numbers and Graph during a session

• 7 replies
    • wasy8
      wasy8
      Black
      one of those things that you shouldnt do, but its also one of those things thats so much easier said than done.
    • Hajler
      Hajler
      Bronze
      Hello!

Since this is really related to your mindset/outlook it is going to be different for everyone, but personally looking at how I am doing during a session is a huge no no.

Since all that really matters is making the correct plays, your results shouldn't matter, and for me looking at how I am doing really messes up my concentration - if I look and see I am down a lot, I will think, "great, I need to win X BI just to get even," which can prevent me from playing my A game. Even when I am up it can be negative, like when I am getting ready to sit out next time the blinds come around and I know I am up 30bb, I might pass up a +EV spot to try to preserve my winnings.

If you don't think things like this will effect you than go ahead and look, but my recommendation would be to completely avoid your cashier/HEM until you finish your session.

Hope it helps.
    • BigAl123456
      BigAl123456
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Hajler
      Hello!

Since this is really related to your mindset/outlook it is going to be different for everyone, but personally looking at how I am doing during a session is a huge no no.

Since all that really matters is making the correct plays, your results shouldn't matter, and for me looking at how I am doing really messes up my concentration - if I look and see I am down a lot, I will think, "great, I need to win X BI just to get even," which can prevent me from playing my A game. Even when I am up it can be negative, like when I am getting ready to sit out next time the blinds come around and I know I am up 30bb, I might pass up a +EV spot to try to preserve my winnings.

If you don't think things like this will effect you than go ahead and look, but my recommendation would be to completely avoid your cashier/HEM until you finish your session.

Hope it helps.
      I think this is excatly the response I was looking for, I feel the things you listed affect me as well. Ok I will try this.

Thank you.
    • JonikoP
      JonikoP
      Bronze
      for me looking at how I am doing really messes up my concentration - if I look and see I am down a lot, I will think, "great, I need to win X BI just to get even," which can prevent me from playing my A game. Even when I am up it can be negative, like when I am getting ready to sit out next time the blinds come around and I know I am up 30bb, I might pass up a +EV spot to try to preserve my winnings.

+1

I just can't help myself. New Year resolution perhaps...
    • alexgeor
      alexgeor
      Bronze
      Im taking a look here and there... It doesn't affect emotionally though Im still play my A game, nomatter if im losing or winning during a session.

I had a problem some time ago though when I first started playing. When I was winning big in a session I spew chips in dangerous positions... My unconcious was feeling generous lol.

So you guys say you should avoid it because it can affect your mindset? And what about the live games when you have your chips on the table and can see the exact amount (no auto buy in to max available here :P )? Isnt this affecting your mindset?
    • JonikoP
      JonikoP
      Bronze
      It doesn't affect emotionally though Im still play my A game, nomatter if im losing or winning during a session.

I wish I could do this - my winrate would double overnight!
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      there's a really good post about this issue:

vonki - 2010 summary inside!