Reading opponents online

• TinovderLaan
      TinovderLaan
      Bronze
      So reading your opponents is a pretty big part of poker. In the micro limits I suppose you can get away playing ABC poker, but I want more than that, really. I want to be able to tell what my opponents are up to.

The thing is, I'm unsure on how to practice this skill. Does anyone have ideas? I know there's software out there that can do this job for you (like Tournament Indicator), but I also want to be able to do this myself. Having information that tools like Tournament Indicator displays is great, and incredibly useful, but that doesn't mean I'm only going to rely on that. I also want to have my own reads.
  • 6 replies
    • cauelaratta
      cauelaratta
      Bronze
      I guess nothing can give you more accurate information about an opponent than a large database of hands played by him. I would try to get some kind of tracker asap if I were you. You can start by downloading the demo version of Elephant at PS.

But anyway, as for "blind" reads.

Pay attention to every hand you can. Try to watch the action whenever you´re not involved in the pot. You can draw a lot of conclusions out of this, specially when there is a showdown.

Sometimes it´s not so hard. If a guy calls a 4bet OOP with Q4o, there´s really not much to think about, just put a big DONKEY tag on his name and keep an eye on him. Another common situation in the micros: some retard who moves all in with every hand. Wait until he gets called a few times, evaluate what kind of hands he pushes with and then adjust your range to beat him. (These guys are gold mines... when you´re not unfortunate enough to call then when they´re holding AA :f_eek: ).

Other things to look for:

How your opponents play draws. Do they bet incomplete hands like flush draws or do they play them passively? Do they vary their starting hands depending on position? Do they have ANY idea of some basic concepts, like pot odds? These are all things you can easily observe just concentrating properly in the game.

Finally, i think reading opponents is all about recognizing patterns, and this ability will only come with time. So start practicing right away! :f_biggrin:

Good luck,

Cauelaratta
    • taavi1337
      taavi1337
      Bronze
      Take lots of notes and try to understand how your opponents play in different situations. Taking good notes and using them to exploit your opponents is sooo +EV skill, develope it. For example, in FL HE I could write: "afraid to valuebet river if scarecard hits" and next time donk my straight or flush on the river instead of checkraising.
    • Steelbrewer
      Steelbrewer
      Bronze
      Just find and read their poker blogs online and abuse em afterward.
    • TinovderLaan
      TinovderLaan
      Bronze
      Thanks for the responses! I hope it'll help :)
    • breena
      breena
      Bronze
      I usually find an instacall is weak so normally fire again if no draws hit on turn.

It has let me down before but more often than not its a weak hand. The logic behind it is if the villan had a good hand they would take time to think about extracting the most $$$$$.

If it does work out a correct read I always note it :D
    • teddykgv47
      teddykgv47
      Basic
      I heard of someone suggesting to play without looking at your hole cards for a few hundred hands a week (at lower than usual stakes if possible), and that it would help you pay more attention to your opponents and learn to read better. Cover the cards with sticky paper on your monitor ;)

I haven't tried this and it might have been meant as a joke, but it might give you some inspiration ;)