[NL2-NL10] NL2 22 facing min 3bet preflop

• member001
      Morning all. I think I had a few hands last night where I played badly and got lucky, which is the most dangerous type of hand (reinforces bad habits and costs me more money in the long run!). Any advice on how to improve will be appreciated..

Known players:

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.85 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is UTG1 with 2:heart: , 2:diamond: . CO posts a blind of $0.02.
      Hero raises to $0.08, 2 folds, MP2 raises to $0.18, 5 folds, Hero calls $0.10.

Flop: ($0.41) 8:spade: , 5:spade: , 2:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 bets $0.24, Hero raises to $0.72, MP2 calls $0.48.

Turn: ($1.85) K:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.07, MP2 calls $1.07 (All-In).

River: ($3.99) 9:heart: (2 players)

Final Pot: $3.99

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows three-of-a-kind, deuces (2h 2d)
      MP2 shows (Jh Js)

Hero wins with three-of-a-kind, deuces (2h 2d)

No reads whatsoever on villain. (Ignore the stats - only 5 hands.)

Preflop: I decided to open with 22 UTG1 because I have been playing quite tight and think I have good implied odds if I hit. When he minraises it costs me 10c to call so I need to make around 80c if I hit my set. There will already be 41c in the pot after I call. At the time I thought this was reasonable, although in hindsight maybe not given it will be difficult to get value out of position.

Flop: I presume he will cbet so I think I get more value from check raising rather than donking out. I think I should have raised bigger because now I notice that I gave him quite good odds if he is on a flush draw.

Overall I think I should have folded to the 3bet preflop when out of position, and just got lucky.
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      Hello member001,

Preflop: Actually I'd say you are getting correct set mining odds, and therefore you can even Call, even if you are OOP.

As played
      Flop: Likely raise size doesn't matter that much, since we will be shipping the turn anyways. Therefore, you could raise a bit bigger, but ain't a must.
      Turn: Shove it for value and also protection. :)

Best regards.