This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Poker books

• HariRadovan
      HariRadovan
      Bronze
      When I started playing poker I was really bad. I didnt even realize how bad I was and blamed bad luck for my poor results. Then a friend of mine who plays poker 4 a living recommended me this site and he recommended some poker books to me too. By reading the strategy-articles of PS and reading many poker books I became a constant winning player.

I think many of you have also read some good poker books and I would be very interested which books you liked the most and why or which books you didnt like and why.
      Please tell me your opinion! I`m very curious.

By the way, the first poker book I ever read was "Small stakes Holdem" by Sklansky and Malmuth. It is my favorite book, a kind of "bible" for me :-)
  • 5 replies
    • wilm
      wilm
      Bronze
      Small Stakes Hold'em is a must-read for every selfrespected limit player =)

Weighting the Odds in hold'em poker is also a nice one. If u are planning to play SH u should go and read limit hold 'em: Winning short-handed strategies. This is a great book and also helps u improve your HU play wich is becomming more normal in fullring games.
    • HariRadovan
      HariRadovan
      Bronze
      I agree with you wilm. Winning short-handed strategies by Terry Borer and Lawrence Mak is a brand-new book that is really great! I learned a lot of tricks and moves by reading it like the river-donkbet or the free-showdown-raise and the hand-quizzes following each chapter are really good too. They also tell you when you should leave the table because you are outmatched, a very important and valuable lesson I think!

If you liked that book you will also like "winning in tough holdem games" by Stoxxtrader and Zobags. It is a really expert-book IMO and some of the tips you get from that book should be used very cautiousely when playing low-limits (like 3-betting the flop with overcards to get a free look at the river for example) but the "hands with Stox"-chapter is really great, you learn how to think like an expert by reading it.

More postings like wilms are very welcome ;-)
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      Originally posted by wilm
      Small Stakes Hold'em is a must-read for every selfrespected limit player =)

If u are planning to play SH u should go and read limit hold 'em: Winning short-handed strategies.
      Where did you buy those books?
    • wilm
      wilm
      Bronze
      bol.com
    • vladnz
      vladnz
      Bronze
      amazon dot com