Push or Fold stage 14bb rule?

• samlar
      samlar
      Bronze
      I understand this is when it drops under 14BB, what if we are in the money and we have more than 14bb or even heads up. I found was heads up with but had more than 14bb, surely I shouldn't play like early stage? since he will keep winning blinds?
  • 2 replies
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      Even in early stages, you should not be that tight in blind-versus-blind situations.

When you have more than 10 big blinds, there are other good options to playing push/fold. I almost never open limp, although some people use that approach against passive big blinds. However, it is possible to make a small raise with a wider range than you might want to push for more than 10 big blinds. If your opponent resteals, then you can fold the bottom of your range, and call with the top.

When the stacks are under 20 big blinds, try to raise no more than about 2.5 bb rather than to 3 or 4 bb. Smaller raises are more efficient, and let you raise a wider range. You lose less when your opponent resteals while still not offering great implied odds.

When you are near the bubble, there can be times to push for more. Sometimes your hand is strong enough to push, and yet you could not call a resteal (or you can call but you would prefer to take the blinds) even if you know your opponent is restealing with a very wide range. If you are very risk-averse and your opponents are known to be aggressive, then you may want to open-push at times for 20 big blinds.
    • samlar
      samlar
      Bronze
      thank you that was very useful