SSS rant

• Arazil
      Arazil
      Bronze
      Over the last couple of days I've been trying out the SSS and been following the rules strictly.
      I have to say this is the WORST poker strategy I have ever had the misfortune to use. I've lost two thirds of my bank roll following it.
      Almost every time I've went all-in as dictated by the rules I've either been behind or out-flopped. I've lost count of the number of times I've lost on the river.
      I don't know if it's because of the levels I'm playing at (5p/10p), but people seem to call my bets with just about any two cards.
      For example, I just went all-in with AKo before the flop. Needless to say I got called. The other guy had 38d. I mean, for god's sake, who calls an all-in with 38 even if they are suited? I think I've finally won a decent hand and then the the flop comes 38K, turn is 7 river is Q. Wow, that's me donked off another pile of chips.
      And it's been going like that for me for two days, hundreds of hands. I'm totally hacked off. People hitting four cards to make straights and flushes. I've had pocket aces four times and lost with them each time against people playing absolute rubbish cards and then drawing dream cards on the turn and river.
      The irony is that before I started using SSS I had had a good couple of days, doubling my stack, playing pretty tight but being quite aggresive, mixing it up a wee bit here and there to keep my opponents guessing. Now all that has been blown to the four winds.
      Well done to those who find SSS works for them, but as far as I'm concerned it can be banished to the deepest pits of hell and never see daylight again. An unbeatable system it said, not for me.
  • 10 replies
    • AlCaTrAzzALZ
      AlCaTrAzzALZ
      Bronze
      wait... you don't like it when your AK gets called all in pre by 8 high? how much better a spot do u want to be in?
    • pogodon
      pogodon
      Bronze
      Originally posted by AlCaTrAzzALZ
      wait... you don't like it when your AK gets called all in pre by 8 high? how much better a spot do u want to be in?
      i wouldnt like my AKo to be called by 83 and what do you mean how much better a spot? how about AQ A10 A9 A8 KQ KJ K10 any of them hands i would prefer then 83 suited

edit> i mean online becasue when i go all in with AKo and 83s calls i just know the flop will come 338
    • StoneJ
      StoneJ
      Bronze
      Why did you change to SSS anyway then?

Maybe people are calling you down light because you only have a small stack behind, I always figured this was a key concept that goes into why short stack works. Although I don't understand why anyone who likes poker would play SSS seen as it seems to me you just wait to hit and shove!
    • StoneJ
      StoneJ
      Bronze
      and by "why short stack works" I mean "why short stack can work" lol
    • Targetme
      Targetme
      Bronze
      hundreds at nl10 ss? thats like 100 buyins ;p your not thinking the like a poker player (odds) and your on tilt

but sss isint that great anymore you cant play it at many sites not sure why pokers still teaches it
    • Kikser1214
      Kikser1214
      Bronze
      Hi. On what site you playing?

SSS have brutal variance, if you get called whit 83s and people are very loos ageist you you should play really really by the charts and don't try anything special for the time you play NL 10 or all levels full whit donkeys . If what you saying is 100% try and you don't tilt everything will come to sort out. I played 60k hands SSS on stars and i am 50bi under EV but tilt cost me another 30-40 bi and i end up -40 bi of profit.Anyway you play SSS for rake-back or bonuses which playing on NL10 for 60k hand on stars i got around 200$ plus some 70$ i won on Vip free-rolls , my point is you just need to play a lot of hands, newer tilt( don't care about results) and you should be good, especially of you play agents crazy people.

And on which site you playing i wanna try SSS there.

PS. i go on tilt when i cant put my chips in the middle for all day even if i play 16 tables i wanna get called every rime i get monster!!!!
    • bogie
      bogie
      Global
      hi Arazil , sss is very profitable if your having problems post your hands on the forum so the coaches can find your leaks in your game. watch videos and attend the coaching, Gerv is an excellent sss player he coaches on a friday on stars. Good luck.
    • Arazil
      Arazil
      Bronze
      Hi guys,
      Thanks for the thoughts.
      I'm playing on william Hill's by the way. There does seem to be a few other players using the strategy (or trying to), there's plenty people buying in with short stacks anyway.
      As for me being tilty, I'm pretty sure I'm not - I did get really frustrated playing this system but worked very hard on keeping my cool and not making stupid plays or deviating.
      I've went back to playing my normal game and have made back a wee bit of my stack. Basically, my normal game is pretty similar to SSS given the range of starting hands except I mix it up a wee bit by playing any two cards if three or more people limp ahead of me, trying a few wee steals here and there etc. It just stop me from looking too tight so when I do bet everyone doesn't automatically fold. I also play with the maximum buy-in so if I do hit a premium hand I can get maximum value. I'm also not scared to fold a good hand if I think I'm beat. I made good folds last night when holding AA, QQ and a straight when it would have been easy to shove.
      I know variance plays a big part in poker and that downswings happen, but I just couldn't keep following a system that would have eaten my stack before any up-swing was apparent. As for why I started using the system in the first place, I had been going along for a good while (apart from the last couple of days before starting SSS) without really getting anywhere. I'd be up a few quid then down a few quid then up again - there was no upward trend, I was just treading water and wanted to see my bannkroll start to creep up.
      And to the guy who thinks I'm complaing about getting called with 38s, not at all. What I was pissed of at was people had made calls like that against me for two days and with only a small number of exceptions had outflopped me every time. That gets a tad annoying.
    • Sinnology
      Sinnology
      Global
      I am off to William Hill!

I ve played cca 200k hands with SSS(basic and advanced) limits from nl10 - nl200, and it is correct that sometimes variance can be more than brutal but as stated before if you play smart and play enough of hands it evens out and you end up in profit.
      You dont seem to be the best at theories behind SSS so I suggest you to go and read some articles in strategy section and watch couple of videos about it.
      Or you can go and play BSS which is better IMO.

Anyways I wish you all the best.

Cheers
    • jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      Are there shallow tables at William Hill? All the tables I've found there are buyin of 50bb-250bb. I got a $50 starting capital there and considered clearing it with SSS and thought that wasn't possible.