Newbie - what software should I get?

• Arazil
      Arazil
      Bronze
      Hi guys,
      Was hoping to get some advice from you to what software I'd be best getting. I've seen the software that you can run that analyzes your hand as you play, works out your odds etc and I think this would help my game. I think I've also seen that they can store your stats and stuff so you can look back over how you've played and spot weaknesses.
      I have no idea what sofware to get though. I don't have too much spare cash to spend so if they're really expensive it'll have to wait until I can afford it later. And just in case it makes a difference, I play at William Hills.

Looking forward to hearing what you've got to say.

Cheers.
  • 7 replies
    • ricardo132
      ricardo132
      Bronze
      I am in a similar situation, i am thinking of using the PokerStrategy software when i achieve 1000 SP, because it is free and i think its good enough for my level of poker.

You got Hold'em Manager for 60 dolars i think,

think about it

Ricardo,
    • breena
      breena
      Bronze
      I didnt get on with the Elephant to much.

I use Hold Em Manager which I think is better, the HUD works in SNGs and MTTs to where the Elephant doesn't.

You get 15 day trial I think with HEM but I know Poker Trackers meant to be just as good with a longer free trial so that may be the way to go if skint. Or just use Elephant till ya win loadsa $$$$$$$$$$.

Good luck :club:
    • Arazil
      Arazil
      Bronze
      What is Elephant? I see a few people talking about it but if someone could explain in easy to understand kiddie speak I'd be grateful.
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Hey arazil,

The PokerStrategy.com Elephant is a mighty analysis tool. It imports and analyses your played hands. Additionally, it displays stats of the players sitting at your tables, which makes it easier for you to read and react to their actions accordingly. The PokerStrategy.com Elephant also replaces our Texas Grabem software.

More information:

Regards,

Kyle.
    • DoigteurFou
      DoigteurFou
      Bronze
      I think that if you don't know the functionnalities of a tracker, then starting with Elephant is fine. You will get it for free by playing with a PS affiliated account (will take some time though). It also has most of the basic features useful to get started with a tracker, and does its job.
      Once you will be used to it, you will eventually feel that you want something a little bit powerful, or that can displays the few things elephant doesn't, then you should try out PT and HEM, and chose one of them. But I don't think there is any need to purchase a software if you can get one free which is good enough.

I personnally still play with Elephant, and even if a few things are missing to my taste I will keep using it until I really feel that I need something better. Moreover, as I still play quite low stakes (NL25), a tracker is not really necessary, just a good addition to my play, so there is no point in my opinion to spend money on a software, even if it is better.
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      I remember I used elephant even when didn't have 1000 SP. HUD didn't show numbers, but it showed in words - loose, agressive, passive.. and it was good for beginning.
    • DoigteurFou
      DoigteurFou
      Bronze
      On Elephant you can also display a HUD with up to 16 values (you can choose), plus a pop-up with more stats. It's not only a beginner tool. However I think PT3 or HEM are simply better softs. Which doesn't mean Elephant is bad.