[NL2-NL10] AA vs. slow played trips

• Samo2
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      MP2 (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A, A.
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, 2 folds, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.25) T, 3, 8 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.20, BU folds, BB calls $0.20.

Turn: ($0.65) 5 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($0.65) 8 (2 players)
      BB bets $0.54, Hero calls $0.54.

Final Pot: $1.73.

Results follow:

BB shows a full-house, tens full of eights(Tc Th).
      Hero shows two pairs, aces and eights(Ah Ad).

BB wins with a full-house, tens full of eights(Tc Th).

This hand made me think a lot.

BB stats:
      Hands = 275
      VPIP = 12%
      PFR = 4%
      W$SD = 50%
      AF = 3.0
      Fold to flop CB = 80%
      WSD = 20%

Flop: When I looked at stats, and as he checked, I have put him on some kind of draw or missed pocket pair.

Turn: Since he called CBet on flop and by having Fold to CB 80%, I figured out he maybe has some made hand or flush draw, so I just checked behind, to keep pot small.

River: And then came his raise on river. I wasn't sure is he value betting or trying to push me out (unrealized flush draw, maybe two pairs). I know I probably shouldn't have called, but I wasn't sure so I gave it a try. I expected he maybe has flush, but I would never put him on slowplayed trips developed into full house.

Link to the hand
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      Hello Samo2,

Turn: Yeah, I'd agree with the move, that you also don't want to face a Check/Raise where you would have hard time deciding whether to go broke against him or not, is he shoving with just draw or not. Therefore I sometimes also Check behind in such situation just to go for pot control and also induce bluff from him. Against some passive ones, I'd definitely Bet out here, to protect from FD.
      River: And as we Checked behind and tried to induce bluff from him then likely have to Call the bet here also as that was our plan on turn with Checking behind. He may easily bet there with just Tx type of hands also and sometimes even with missed draws. And by the way, it's a bet on river from him, not raise.

Best regards.