[NL2-NL10] Flush draw play?

• thunderbird56
      thunderbird56
      Bronze
      I checked on the turn since i didn't want to become readable!

Full Tilt Poker
      No Limit Holdem Ring game
      Blinds: $0.05/$0.10
      5 players
      Converter

Stack sizes:
      UTG: $12.95
      CO: $10.65
      Button: $10
      SB: $24.75
      thunderbird56: $10

Pre-flop: (5 players) thunderbird56 is BB with A 8
      UTG folds, CO raises to $0.35, 2 folds, thunderbird56 calls.

Flop: J T 9 ($0.75, 2 players)
      thunderbird56 checks, CO checks.

Turn: 5 ($0.75, 2 players)
      thunderbird56 checks, CO checks.

River: 7 ($0.75, 2 players)
      thunderbird56 bets $0.5, CO raises to $2, thunderbird56 raises to $5.5, CO calls.

Results:
      Final pot: $11.75
      thunderbird56 showed Ad 8d
      CO mucks 8h 4h
  • 3 replies
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      ok, ill try to make a nice and thorough analysis.

Preflop: I would fold here. 8 is a bad kicker, and you can only hope for a flush with this hand, because hitting the ace is a mixed blessing. You are often up against ak aq aj etc. which makes this hand a winner in small pots and a loser in big pots.

Flop: i would semibluff the flop, but then again, im crazy, because i always bet a flushdraw. Thats because i have some folding equity against ak aq, and because i know i don't worry about a call, because i can play the turn and river, because of the 9 outs to the nutflush.

Turn: same story as the flop, but if no-one opened yet on the flop, a check is good! I don't want to tell him, "hello, i have a flush", so this is fine play. However, when i bet the flop, i often make a very small bet on the turn (1/3) because ill act as if im scared for his flush. In this situation, he often calls for the flush to, which makes him very happy on the turn, only to make him cry harder on the showdown.

River: perfect play.
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi thunderbird56!

In general: I strongly recommend that you reread our strategy articles because it seems like you didn't understand every detail which is described there.

@ helemaalnicks: thanks for this nice analysis! But I have a different opinion at some points:

Preflop: as already mentioned: easy fold because of the weak kicker and the danger of being dominated by a better ace.

Flop: Bet! You have an open ended straight draw (although it is the lower end) plus the nutflushdraw which gives you a lot of outs.

Turn: Bet! You want to play for a big pot because you have a big hand. Try to build it. If Villain has something he will at least call, which means you can bet bigger on the river. Thus you will get more value out of this hand. If Villain hit nothing he will check behind (as happened) and probably fold to your river bet.

River: Well played!

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      Flop: Bet! You have an open ended straight draw (although it is the lower end) plus the nutflushdraw which gives you a lot of outs.

oh, thats true, so im not that crazy, thats nice :)

but tbh, i dont really care about the straight draw:p i mean, the stack is so big, that with a 2/3 bet youre basically giving yourself odds, and you can really stack people that way.