Shev improving in Budapest

• Shevtshenko
      Shevtshenko
      Gold
      Hey ya! 

Bloggin action here I come.

My poker path (aka rly long ramble of my times as a whale in poker industry)

I started playing poker during autumn of 2009 when I moved to Jyväskylä (semi-sized city in Finland). University started at september and I guess it was during oct/nov when I made a 10€ deposit to a Finnish skin in Entraction network. Started playing some sng's and made my bankroll to ~100€ without any bankrollmanagement (obviously). Then one day I decided to donk it all to roulette and busted my roll.

Next deposit I made, was to Fulltilt at Nov. 4th -09, deposited 43$ and started playing sng's trying to study brm, starting hands, etc. from fulltiltpoker's academy :f_biggrin: . Like a pro made my way to 11$ turbo sng's with some sort of brm and hit the peak of my career at ~300$. Then I hit a "downswing", loosing few buy-ins and at ~200$ decided to withdraw half of my br to "secure my winnings". Then donked some bucks to all sorts of games and that continued without much of a plan until I joined pokerstrategy.

6.12.2009 joined pokerstrategy, obviously just because of free money. But I did decide to give a shot to SSS and tried it out for a while. Never really did too well with it nor was I enough disipline to bother actually following any charts. If I had a pocketpair in mp2 and someone raised from utg it was obvious 3bAI for 20bb since "he's just gonna have AK and it's a flip". Love my thought processes during those days :f_p: .

Started playing on bet365 with x amount of money during January. I had an adequate bankroll to play nl10 sss but hit a "downswing" which was due to playing waaay too many tables and just playing too loose. The thing was though that I couldn't move down since smallest buy in to nl4 tables was 50bb. So I kept losing on nl10 playing sss until i had like 5$ on my account. At that point I made a decision that changed everything.

Started playing nl2fr and nl2sh with 100bb buyins. So basically had roughly 2,5 buyins on my br when starting. That was the point when I hit some sort of upswing and also started watching a ton of bss videos on ps. Moved up soonish to nl4, then struggled with it, moved to nl10, struggled some more, moved down to nl4.

And on June 1st 2010 I was playing nl4sh on PartyPoker. Moved back to fullring and Fulltilt at some point during summer and started taking it really seriously and putting in some solid volume for my standards. Finally I decided to give rush a shot and started with nl10fr rush. Raised level of my game at the same pace as I moved up limits. Nl10 was obviously soft, nl25 didn't stop me and after crushing nl50 for some months decided to take some shots on nl100. During first shots I overadjusted a lot and donked off some buyins with way too loose/bad stackoffs. Analysed my game like never before and oved back to nl50 to build roll to take some more shots: which ended up working waaay better. Currently I'm playing nl100fr/sh/hu on Fulltilt/Stars/Betfair.

tl;dr version

autumn 2009 - June 1st 2010 fish, fishier, me.

From June 1st 2010 playin NL4 to Jan 1st 2011 nl100fr/sh/hu and taking shots to nl200.

Where do I stand atm with my game & mindset

-I'd say that my mindset is OKish. I definately do tilt when I realize that I'm making a bad plays but after I realize that I'm tilting I either quit tilting or playing. Yet suckouts don't really affect my play, even when getting sucked out ten times in a row. (Hu might be different though. One can only stand a certain amount of losing vs. one opponent :f_p: ).

-My game is solid enough to beat nl100. Been playing nl100 sinve Sept. 1st and done fine with it.

-I've got a coaching deal with Joenaes atm and should try to find some time again to have next session with him within couple weeks.

-Did some leakfinding during X-mas and found something which is/was propably costing me a healthy amount of bb's during my months on nl100. I think I got those spots figured out relatively well and realized that I was overestimating peoples bluffing frequency's a lot.

-I do feel comfortable playing on nl200 as well (aka not bothered by the amounts at stake) and to demonstrate that "bluff of the day":

Villain was a fish and had been opening rather light. The play definately was spewy but villain's snapcalls just convinced me to fire through. Thought that he's going to have so many 2nd pair+ one diamond type of hands that are going to fold on river that barreling through will be profitable. Also A on the river is unlikely to make him any two pair type of hand and half of his TP hands (KQ/AQ) just got less likely with the rivered ace.

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $2(BB) Replayer
      SB ($208)
      BB ($570)
      UTG ($388)
      UTG+1 ($396)
      UTG+2 ($412)
      CO ($1967)
      Hero ($220)

Dealt to Hero T:heart: 7:spade:

fold, fold, UTG+2 raises to $6, fold, Hero raises to $18, fold, fold, UTG+2 calls $12

FLOP ($39) 6:diamond: 3:diamond: Q:diamond:

UTG+2 checks, Hero bets $30, UTG+2 snapcalls $30

TURN ($99) 6:diamond: 3:diamond: Q:diamond: 8:club:

UTG+2 checks, Hero bets $64, UTG+2 snapcalls $64

RIVER ($114) 6:diamond: 3:diamond: Q:diamond: 8:club: A:spade:

UTG+2 checks, Hero bets $108 (AI), UTG+2 tankfolds

Hero shows T:heart: 7:spade:

Hero wins $227

-I've lately been mainly watching nl hu videos on cr and I feel very confident in my hu game on nl50/100.

-Best part of my game: Table selection. I'm capable of multiplatforming and I'm constantly looking at lobbies searching for juicier games.

-Worst part of my game: thinking hands/spots in a tube. That basically means that when I get to river vs. a villain (esp. when multitabling hu) and I've got a third pair which is effectively a bluffcather I know that I only beat a bluff and for the first 20 seconds of my timebank I spend on just thinking that "villain simply has to have a bluff here!" thinking through stuff like timing, betsizing and gameflow and during the last 10 seconds of my timebank I start to think that "what's his range for value and what's his range for bluffing" and to be 100% honest: that 10 seconds isn't always enough to realize wether the right play is to call or fold.

----> solution to that. Need to think in ranges all the time during hands, not just in spots where the play isn't obvious to me.

-atm hu > fr > sh when it comes to pure edge. Don't really feel uncomfortable playing sh but just don't have the same touch on it as for hu/fr (prolly mainly due to lower volume with it).

RL things

-21 years
      -Second year at uni, studying business.
      -living in a studio in Finland
      -Having a polar bear as a pet

Guess that should be long enough for a first post. I'll be posting some goals for 2011 during this week. Huge thanks for reading!

• 788 replies
    • Joenaes
      Joenaes
      Black
      gl sir ;)
    • TetraQuark
      TetraQuark
      Bronze
      Pics of u and the polar bear cuddling or u hittin them herbs waaay to hard! :s_cool: :s_biggrin:
    • Shevtshenko
      Shevtshenko
      Gold
      @Gregor86

Had to test if anyone bothered to read it that far :f_biggrin: . So no pics of polar bear coming (for now :f_cool: ).

@Joenaes

ty. Even though, don't need luck when you're the coach, right? :f_confused:

Played a longish session on nl200sh yesterday and ended up running hotter than the sun and made a negative profit of 1,5k. Made one bad(ish) call on river with trips 200bb deep vs. a reg that I was battling vs. during the whole session but that propably was somewhat close anyway since his valuerange was so narrow. Ended up tilting a bit and finished the session pretty well steaming. So solid shot overall. Today went back for the grind on 100 and prolly made some stacks back, haven't checked graphs, stats or results so can't tell how I did.

Goals for January

-Keep shooting to nl200. Just build br up on nl100 everytime shot fails. Easy game.

-Now since I'm finally able to go through platinium material, do it. Watched all TwiceT's platinium vid's already today and will continue with ge5sterne later/tomorrow. (Got the platinium status through a finnish community campaign, so I'm not a true grinder)

-Stop this: Worst part of my game: thinking hands/spots in a tube

-Make it to 200 and start actually doing what the blog title says.

Goals for 2011

-Average 5k$+ per month

-Start grinding exlusively on EEA sites (taxation issues on non EEA sites)

-Winning player on all limits under nl1k (with a sample obv)

-Learn plo hu

It's incredible how soft I feel that the games are on nl100 atm. Seems that I can just grind any amount of tabs and make $$$. Combination of those weak regs and fish just makes the games easy to play and while almost no one is adjusting properly to aggression esp. postflop (neither pre rly) it's just such an easy game.

PS. Hit 100 views! So sick!
    • peche025
      peche025
      Bronze
      GL!
    • TetraQuark
      TetraQuark
      Bronze
      u play nl100 fr mostly or u mix?
    • Shevtshenko
      Shevtshenko
      Gold
      @peche

tyty!

@gregor

I'm mixing it up. Motto is : "Where the fishiest action exist that's where you find me" :f_p: . Volume is atm fr > sh > hu.
    • TetraQuark
      TetraQuark
      Bronze
      Cool cool, well I am deffo following this blog. U mind if I add u on skype?
    • i5bet72o
      i5bet72o
      Bronze
      I am deff following as well
    • peche025
      peche025
      Bronze
      Shev are you still lurking around the rush tables? If so how did you find NL100 -> NL200?
    • Shevtshenko
      Shevtshenko
      Gold
      @ Gregor

Go ahead.

@i5bet72o

Great to get some blingbling to the followers list! :f_love:

@peche

Nah, 18 buyin down within a week in nl100rush during first week of december was enough for me to quit rush for a while. If I remember correctly ev was at ~-500$. Also my longterm plan was to transfer my volume from non-eta-sites to taxfree eta-sites, so plan is to leave FT and stars for good.

I did take some shots to nl200rush during rushweek. Don't really have a sample to say if it was a lot tougher than 100 since only played like 2,5k hands there. The amount of fish seemed to be lower since there were less short-/midstackers. But well, tbh don't know.
    • kravdude
      kravdude
      Bronze
      I'm definitely reading this one :)
    • Shevtshenko
      Shevtshenko
      Gold
      @ kravdude

Good to see some fellow Finns hanging around this forum aswell!

Just finished playing a session. Played 1,1k hands 6-12 tabling (mainly 6-8) and felt that I started autopiloting too much. Rather fishy action at tables and even regs seemed to be on a superaggro mode in some tabs. Also realized that fishes give huge credit to you when you min-click-it-back on certain flop textures.

Few spots from today's session.

My image was really nitty in that table was playing ~11/8 or smthing after 20-25hands. I felt that villain (25/14/5) will be raising really light on the flop because of that and he's almost never raising Kx for value and propably is slowplaying sets as well. Plan for the turn was to c/c and c/f river if he fires both. Mainly since figured that he's on a level that he's going to bet turn with air and realize that I always have atleast Kx and doesn't try to fold that out on river. Should I just bet the river or go for a c/c? Versus that betsizing on river felt that he's more likely to bet for value vs. my likely Kx. Any thoughts?

NL Holdem $1(BB) Replayer
      SB ($351)
      BB ($122)
      Hero ($100)
      BTN ($531)

Dealt to Hero Q:spade: Q:club:

Hero raises to $3, BTN calls $3, fold, fold

FLOP ($8.30) K:diamond: 5:spade: 4:heart:

Hero bets $5.50, BTN raises to $16, Hero calls $10.50

TURN ($40.30) K:diamond: 5:spade: 4:heart: 7:heart:

Hero checks, BTN checks

RIVER ($40.30) K:diamond: 5:spade: 4:heart: 7:heart: 9:heart:

Hero checks, BTN bets $33, Hero folds

BTN wins $38.30

In this hand I wasn't sure if I should be shoving the river for value or just c/f. Villain was a big fish (65/8/0,6)and I was the most active player in that table.
      I do obviously expect him to call KJ+ but he prolly folds QT/KT/AT.

SB ($366)
      BB ($109)
      Hero ($100)
      UTG+1 ($211)
      CO ($160)
      BTN ($508)

Dealt to Hero 7:club: 7:spade:

Hero raises to $4, fold, CO calls $4, fold, fold, fold

FLOP ($10.70) 7:diamond: T:club: 4:diamond:

Hero bets $8, CO calls $8

TURN ($26.70) 7:diamond: T:club: 4:diamond: J:club:

Hero bets $21, CO calls $21

RIVER ($68.70) 7:diamond: T:club: 4:diamond: J:club: 8:spade:

Hero bets $66.80 (AI), CO calls $66.80

I'll finish my year-end-bonus grindaments today and going to buy 50$ and 500$ bonuses from store. After that I still have the store holiday giveaway bonus worth of 100$ and a bunch of ironman medals to use. So some solid bonus grinding for this weekend and next week. Uni also starts on Monday at 8am. Have been waking up closer to noon for the last 2-3 weeks, so it's going to be rly tought to make it.

Now some food, watching some vids from somnius preparing myself to get back in the zone.

[brag]I've been sober for the whole year of 2011![\brag]
    • peche025
      peche025
      Bronze
      I had a hand almost identical to the last one a couple of days ago. I shipped it also, expecting to get called by any 2pr.
    • Shevtshenko
      Shevtshenko
      Gold
      Wooooow, just watched through TLN's video. Mindblowing. Sick. Realized how much more awesome this game is than I've ever thought before. Also how much improvement there's to be made when it comes down to exploiting fishes! The hand vs. the loose-passive fish was just incredible and made so much sense after hearing the explanation.

During last few days I've watched through the TAG-team series, all the vid's from Somnius and also all TwiceT's platinium vid's. TLN's vid just want's me to get better and better in this beautiful game, while Somnius' videos constantly put me "in the zone" and just make me prepared to pwn some breakeven-reg ass. TT's vids were quite old, which was why I didn't pick up that much from those compared to other ones. Not that those were bad but those nl400 games seemed a lot like nl100 games nowadays. Overall I'd say that the last couple days have definately made me think more "outside of the box" in certain spots. Yet, listening to Norah Jones/Tim64 while playing has helped me not to spew as much as normally :f_cool: .

A hand from yesterday's session to show what is my image on nl100.

I do dislike my riverbetsizing, I think it should be smaller smthing like 22-25$ otherwise given the gameflow propably would play it the same even though I don't have any equity. Expected him to fold everything worse than Kx on river. Too lazy to explain the whole thought process & gameflow & table dynamics.

SB ($198)
      BB ($100)
      UTG ($175)
      CO ($59.60)
      Hero ($129)

Dealt to Hero 9:heart: 4:diamond:

fold, fold, Hero raises to $2.50, SB calls $2, fold

FLOP ($7) 8:club: Q:club: K:heart:

SB checks, Hero bets $5, SB calls $5

TURN ($17) 8:club: Q:club: K:heart: J:spade:

SB checks, Hero bets $12, SB calls $12

RIVER ($41) 8:club: Q:club: K:heart: J:spade: 4:club:

SB checks, Hero bets $29, SB calls $29

Hero shows 9:heart: 4:diamond:
      (Pre 53%, Flop 14.3%, Turn 15.9%)

SB shows 5:spade: 8:spade:
      (Pre 47%, Flop 85.7%, Turn 84.1%)

SB wins $96

Now off to watch 3rd and 4th part of Siete's "Mind the gap".
    • Shevtshenko
      Shevtshenko
      Gold
      Originally posted by peche025
      I had a hand almost identical to the last one a couple of days ago. I shipped it also, expecting to get called by any 2pr.
      Did you actually get called by worse? I didn't. He had 99. :f_ugly:
    • kevvu
      kevvu
      Bronze
      Have seen many similar hands lately. I decided not to make this kind moves against non regs :D . At least on nl25. Cause they call down rly light. We should make hand analysis tomorrow (today). Last time was interesting. If i remember right then we talked 3h or sth :D ?
    • THESHade
      THESHade
      Bronze
      Polar Bear pics or I will troll ur blog :)
    • cojonel
      cojonel
      Global
      Originally posted by THESHade
      Polar Bear pics or I will troll ur blog :)
      +1

I also have a giraffe in my apartment! :D (not) :) )

Btw do you keep your bear in fridge for not geting warmer or how?
    • Shevtshenko
      Shevtshenko
      Gold
      @ kevvu

Do people call you too down with 4th pair no kicker all day? :f_biggrin:

@ shade & cojonel

Here are couple pic's of her: (can't make those links work for some reason)

Right after I, finally, got her to my apartment. (She says hi!)
      http://img152.imageshack.us/i/polarbear3.jpg/

Few weeks later from my back yard.
      http://img191.imageshack.us/f/cutepolarbear.jpg/

Btw do you keep your bear in fridge for not geting warmer or how?

She only sleeps in freezer.

Thoughts about 4 tabling vs. multitabling

Played 1,2k hands today just 4tabling all the time. It's been a long time since I've done that and realized how much bigger my wr must be if I'd always only 4table. The amount of reads on regs and especially on fish you can pick up is huuuge. It's awesome to instantly realize when fishes start to trying to adapt and can be on top of their thought processes in every hand. So sweet. Also it's great to have time to think through EVERY decision instead of just the more exotic ones. Made some very solid thin valuebets that I had definately missed or sized inappropriately when multitabling. Also it was sooo much easier to know when to bluff aggro fishes and when just to give up. Tbh I liked playing waay more when playing fewer tables just because you can own people so hard. Of course sometimes just grinding multiple tables is fun since you have to act fast and concentrate even more to just be able to do the basic stuff right. Volume sucks though. Played over 4h and only got in 1,2k hands... That's nothing.

It was soo easy to play vs. regs that just look at your stats but don't have any idea that I haven't played back at all vs. them but just been loose and aggro vs. weak tight fish. In one table my stats were 45/40/10 after 200 hands since I was isoraising a fish that was limp/calling and check/folding 60% of his hands and regs didn't do much to stop me (occasional 3b/f and looser flat IP & float on flop). They did donate some chips to the fish though just so that I could pick those up from him. Easy game.

Need to read some to my tomorrow's test on statistics. Hope they ask about how to count AF so I know at least something...