Deviating from TAG against fish

Bronze
      Playing against fish in any kind of a NL holdem game is profitable if you play ABC poker, that is - you play tight and don't take unnecessary risks. Is it the most profitable way of playing against this kind of opponents or is it simply the safest and most appropriate for the insuficiently experienced player? Is it the optimal play?

How about players who are simply bad (occasionally make random unpredictable plays)? How much should you deviate from TAG and how can you choose the optimal strategy (on what information given that his play is random every now and again)?
  • 7 replies
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      I think it's better to stay TAG and valuebet, as playing a more LAG style relies on you outplaying them postflop. But the thing is, you can't "outplay" a fish, because they arne't playing in a logical way :D When i'm against fish I tend to call their raises with hands such as suited connectors, suited one-gappers etc.
    • Hajler
      Hajler
      Bronze
      Hello!

Since everyone is competing for the fish's money, you will want to maximize the number of hands you play against such players. To do so you want to be in position and isolate as much as possible. If you are not familiar with the concept I think there is a series about isolation plays in the columns section. You should however avoid making bluffs against players who call down with any 2 cards, for obvious reasons.

You can also vary your bet size depending on your hand strength against fish, as they are not going to pick up on such tells. So you can bet big with your good hands, and small with your marginal hands, etc.

I wouldn't really call any of this deviating from TAG, as it should be part of your standard repertoire.

Hope it helps.
      Bronze
      How good must your hand be to shove against fish postflop/preflop?
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Hajler
      Hello!

Since everyone is competing for the fish's money, you will want to maximize the number of hands you play against such players. To do so you want to be in position and isolate as much as possible. If you are not familiar with the concept I think there is a series about isolation plays in the columns section. You should however avoid making bluffs against players who call down with any 2 cards, for obvious reasons.

You can also vary your bet size depending on your hand strength against fish, as they are not going to pick up on such tells. So you can bet big with your good hands, and small with your marginal hands, etc.

I wouldn't really call any of this deviating from TAG, as it should be part of your standard repertoire.

Hope it helps.
      This AINEC

Originally posted by Avatars91
      There is no general answer to this question imo
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS

Originally posted by Avatars91
      There is no general answer to this question imo
      Yep, each fish has different go broke range depending on how tilted he is so you need to figure that out and go broke with a hand ahead of that range.
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      I'd say against a lot of the major ifsh you can easily 3barrel betting pot with TPGK. I had one last night on NL25 that would call down 3 streets with bottom pair top kicker. Unfortunately I didn't figure this out straight away and ended up folding my overpair when he snap-called the flop and turn and then raised the river :( I did take quite a bit off him though!
    • SickAtHome
      SickAtHome
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Hajler
      Hello!

Hope it helps.
      Some really great advice, thanks!