$1 Turbo NL SNGs

• jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      I just started my $50 starting capital at Party today. I played a set of 10 SNGs. A few
      Things bothered me.

1. 25% Rake! At what limits does this go down?

2. The blind structure is normal until 100/200 then Bam! 200/400. Are just the Turbos like this or all the Speed and Regular SNGs like this as well?

3. Where are the maniacs? Usually at $1 SNGs I'm used to seeing at least a few all ins the first couple hands. I barely saw a flop until push/fold started. One table was still 5 handed at 800/1600.

I realize I only played for a half hour but are the $1 Turbos at Party always this much tougher than Full Tilt?

Any tips, insights or advice appreciated.

Thanks
  • 22 replies
    • noclaninator
      noclaninator
      Bronze
      Well, BRM doesn't matter if you can't beat a limit. These sngs are pretty much unbeatable. If you are a SNG player I would start at the $3 or $5 SNGs and hope to get lucky rather than donate a bunch of rake to party.
    • SkamanVN
      SkamanVN
      Bronze
      I started with $30 5 months ago and concentrated at first on $1 Turbo SnGs. It's very hard to beat with such high rake. Plus not enough time to actually play, I feel it's more about luck. I barely broke-even only thanks to the rake back and gifts Party made. My advice is to play the bankroll builder freerolls, they actually work pretty well (very easy to get ITM, I could even win 1 of them and I always got to the monthly tournament with about 750 players for 500 being paid at least $10). You only have 2 months to do so, don't wait. You may also play some $1 or $2 MTT to help (i had a positive ROI on them). My BR went x4 within 3 months. Then you can jump to the $3 speed SnGs (blinds are the same) where you can make some money (I more than doubled my BR within 1.5 month at this limit playing 3 to 5 SnG per day). After 5 months using this method i still have 7 times my first deposit although I had a downswing of 20BI in December.
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      your (possible) edge will be smaller the faster the structure is, add 25% rake and you get an unbeatable lolstakes sng and brm won't help you. they are a monumental waste of time even if you manage to breakeven with "rakeback" (should be hard to get rakeback at $1 sngs anyway) .

Party poker doesn't let people shortstack anymore so your options with a $50 BR are BSS at nl2 , Fixed limit or gamble it up and pray to run like god, this makes PartyPoker a horrible site to get your inicial capital

to answer your questions

1)
      turbos

the $3 have 25% rake
      the $6 have 20% rake
      $11-$55 have 10% rake

I havent seen turbos at higher stakes, speeds from 100+ have less rake, 109s have 9%

2)
      I think the structure is the same, not as good as fulltilt poker but it's still perfectly playable IMO

3)

Aparently all the way up to the $33s (probably even higher) , games are so soft I think I'm beating them :D
    • Yoshimitsu77
      Yoshimitsu77
      Bronze
      party have the worst blind structure and disgusting rake at low stakes, its just nasty.
    • rowzee
      rowzee
      Bronze
      I've played 157 of these with a ROI of 17% and don't feel like a total luckbox, plenty of maniacs and fish as well. I need to play 200+ to clear the starting capital, after that might move to Stars since I can't imagine grinding my way to a BR for the $3 speed SNG's.
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      Originally posted by rowzee
      I've played 157 of these with a ROI of 17% and don't feel like a total luckbox, plenty of maniacs and fish as well..
      157 ~ 0
    • rowzee
      rowzee
      Bronze
      Originally posted by alejandrosh
      Originally posted by rowzee
      I've played 157 of these with a ROI of 17% and don't feel like a total luckbox, plenty of maniacs and fish as well..
      157 ~ 0
      Yes, I know, but for my purposes (clearing the $50), this is good enough. And let's not forget that the OP has drawn his conclusions from a set of 10 SNG's.
    • jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      Thanks for the replies. I've played a little more and I'm still break even / slight loser. I'm running pretty much average I guess in flips and have run into a few coolers. I agree with most of the responses that this format is basically a waste of time. I may try BSS at NL2 but I absolutely hate NL2. If I get bored I'm heading back to Stars and Tilt. It's really hard to turn down free money though.

@rowzee - I agree that for the purposes of clearing the $50 these $1 turbos are good enough. However I'm really not after $50, I want to make enough profit to move to my normal stakes. Also I had not drawn to any conclusions after 10 games. I haven't yet drawn a conclusion after ~ 50 games. I was merely asking some questions based on some alarming observations after 10 games.

Thanks again to all that replied.
    • ivangavazzi
      ivangavazzi
      Bronze
      Hey man!!

I totally agree with you and weller 123.

1) The rake is killing any chance of real ROI. Usually they say you should expect a ROI between 10% or 15% percent a lowest BI. But that tought if you need to pay 20% rake and have no rakeback.

2) I hate this big jump too. Suddenly your stack is cut to the half. And normally, if you take a a closer look to the table you'll see that the majority of players get less than 10 BB in this point just because the big jump.

3) I think that one of the main reasons to have a lot of players in that high blind play is number 2 above.

I was thinking these days and realizad something. If I'm wrong guys, please tell me.

Let's say we play 1000 SnG with $1 BI. That's $1000 of investment. And let's suppose we are breakeven.

If we had some rakeback like in FTP for example, we would have 27% back to us. In that rake structure is 0,2*1000*0,27= 54 from rakeback. Then we would have a ROI of ((50+54)/1000)*1000 = 10,4%

And if the rake was 10%, we could save $100 to ourselves, plus $27 from rakeback, that would give us ((100+27+50)/1000)*100 = ROI = 17,7%.

Then, being a breaeven player at this limit or with just 3% or 5% ROI doesn't mean we suck that much.

Maybe the answer is invest some more money, move to a higher limit were people respect raises, get less rake% and some rakeback.

Well, I don't know. Tell me what you think guys. And sorry for my crappy english.

See ya!!
    • Burgeo29
      Burgeo29
      Bronze
      I'm not sure why people continue to play low stake SNG's with Party.

The rake is a complete rip off.
    • ivangavazzi
      ivangavazzi
      Bronze
      I totally agree with you.

The question is that i had no ideia about that when i created my account. Pokerstartegy recommended and I said Ok.

But now, I'm almost cleaning my bonus, and I'm planning mov to FTP.

Do you think it's a good choice?? Would you recommend another poker room??

Thxxx
    • Burgeo29
      Burgeo29
      Bronze
      For SNG's, Fulltilt.

For MTT's, Poker Stars.

This is only my opinion though.
    • kankerganker
      kankerganker
      Bronze
      i started playing $1 sng's on party aswel, but moved to stars now.. lower blinds much better structure: actually knowing how to play matters more when youre not forced to push anything after few hands becaus you have 3 bb's left

tl;dr: GTFO of party if you play SNGs
    • MikeAK47
      MikeAK47
      Bronze
      Here's my contribution...

FUCK PARTY POKER!
    • tzache90
      tzache90
      Bronze
      PartyPoker is indeed the worst choice when it comes to SNG's due to ridiculous rake.But when it comes to cash games, it think it's Heaven. Never seen such amount of fish on any other platform as I've seen at NL4 here. Started with 50 $ there on 1st of january and played NL4 from the begining(hate NL2).I know, bad bankroll management but playing tight/passive on party makes wonders.I now have almost 10 times the amount I started with. I think I'll probably try NL 10 in the next 2 weeks or so.

So my advice....forget SNG's on party, try cash games!
    • jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      Hmmmm. I haven't tried cash games at party yet. I don't think I can clear the starting capital playing NL2. I only play a few SNG each week right now. Should I try and clear the $50 first or try and make some profits at the cash tables?
    • tzache90
      tzache90
      Bronze
      In my opinion playing NL2 has absolutely nothing to do with earning money or making points so...I don't advice you to play NL2 for neither of the reasons (clearing the bonus or making profit). The only thing that NL2 is good at is improving your game. If you play a good solid game NL4 is the best option on Party.
    • BadeaCelRau
      BadeaCelRau
      Bronze
      I find the 20BBMin NL2 tables extremely profitable. Players are extremely poor. The 20BBMin NL4 tables are usually filled with nits, allowing you to openraise 73s from utg and everyone will fold. That's pretty cool but don't expect to win much on your premium hands and you have to be super cautious once you hit, get called but you don't know how good you are. NL10 is filled with fish. The 100BB tables are also filled with nits on weekdays and on the shorthanded tables I haven't played much.

Tzache90 can you please give me tips on which hours and what tables to play NL4 and how to make the table selection?
    • nonamesleft
      nonamesleft
      Bronze
      [quote]Originally posted by tzache90
      PartyPoker is indeed the worst choice when it comes to SNG's due to ridiculous rake.quote]

This

I got so fed up with rake / suckouts i threw brm out the window.

I hit the DoN and HUSNG at $5 level ( still 20% rake :O ). This is the worst rake I have encountered on around 8 different sites.

I am now showing a profit but Party do not seem to encourage micro players at sng but the games are really soft ( you just need to understand your opponents). If I hit a downswing I am screwed, but it is a risk I am willing to take.

I have found the bonus easy to clear as a result.

Does anyone know why the rake is so severe? For a busy site it seems so unnecessary