What am I doing wrong ?

• Arazil
      Hi guys,
      I need some advice. I'm getting absolutley hammered at the tables just now and can't really figure out what I'm doing wrong.
      I play low stakes, either 2/4 or 5/10 (thats pence not pounds lol) as I consider myself a beginner, though I've been playing on and off for about a year and a half and the last four months pretty heavily. I consider myself to be a tight, aggresive player, I have a pretty strict range of hands I'll open with but when I hit one of them I play them pretty hard. I'm not one for slow playing a hand too much unless I'm pretty certain I've got the nuts. I understand about variance, you can't win 'em all and there's always going to be bad beats etc. I just seem to be getting beaten almost every time I go into a hand just now, to the point where my bankroll has almost disappeared.
      My opening range is any two face cards, A8 or higher and any pair above 5's so I don't play that many hands. I don't play connectors, suited or not. I typically open with a 4xBB raise if first in. If there's a raise before me I just have to judge it depending on who it is, my position and how much it was for etc. I try and put myself in positions where at worst it's a coin flip but most times I'm favourite (doesn't always work out, you can't help running into better hands sometimes). And I'm not scared to fold either.
      If I hit the flop I'll bet out, usually 2/3 to 3/4 of the pot unless I've hit really hard then I'll slow play. It's basically a system similar to SSS but without the constant all-ins and trying to use my reads/intuition a bit and I always buy in for the max.
      I just seem to be getting hammered. Six times in the last two days I've had AA - I won one small pot against a very short stack, won another when in the BB and everyone at the table folded round to me (annoying!) and lost the other four against people calling pre-flop with shite and then making two pairs, sets, drawing four cards for a flush/straight etc. And because it's AA I tend to lose pretty heavy on these hands. In fact, I've lost so much on AA it's become my least favourite hand. I'm pretty sure I'm not on tilt. I don't make stupid bluffs or play rag hands becuase I'm pissed off.
      I just seem to keep on losing and don't know why. It just seems that almost every time I go into a pot I get outflopped. I do win some hands but usually what happens is when I bet out all I win are the blinds, either that or they fold after the flop so I never get any real value when I do hit. And I seem to get beaten by shite. I regulary see people calling my bets with just any two suited cards and beating me.
      I know this probably all sounds like a long moan, and it is I suppose. Is it just a down swing? Am I playing too tight? Or maybe not tight enough? Is it the levels I'm playing at where people just seem to keep calling with mad hands instead of thinking about what they're doing (I refuse to believe that good poker players would make half the calls that are made against me - who calls J3s when there's been a raise and then a big re-raise before them? That's what I lost my last AA on). Should I give up and take up train spotting instead?
      Strangely, it does feel slightly stupid complaining about people making constant loose calls against me when I only play strong hands. I know that's what I should be wanting. I just can't seem to win though.
      If you mangaged to read through all that, well done - sorry it was so long. Any and all advice gratefully recieved.
  • 5 replies
    • evertonroar
      your post is to long so didnt read it all. only thing i can say is you give an opening range that does not seems to match how you describe yourslef (ie a tight player). you also don't mention what position you are opening these in. are you opening a8 in early poisition or any two face cards in early poisition (ie jqo?). cos that is not tight play at all. The fact that you dont mention position when describing your opening range suggest a lack of understanding of a poker fundamental.

also why are you not playing suited connectors? seems very strange to open pots with a8o but not limp in in late position with four limpers before you with tjs.

i think you need need to reread the strategy articles and watch some vidoes. do you post hands and view other hands other hands on the hanbd eva;laution boards?
    • pogodon
      my adice<<< it might not be right >>> is play a few suited connectors esecialy in late position think of it this way if your oponent has say AKo what would you prefer 109s or AQo i tend to play suited connectors alot because i can easily get away from them and i an earn a big sum if i crush up against kk, my mate always says he hates AA because you win a little or lose a lot but still if he could pick any hand to have its still going to be AA :P i dont know what site you play on but i think from personal prospectie play a lot of suited connectors if you play on pokestars, ptr has my stats tracked that ie won nearly 8 times more profit with 86s then AA and KK its my ucky hand but i dont go out of my way to play it yano
    • Wriggers
      Remember position is one of the most important aspects on poker. In late position your opening range should be a LOT wider than in early position. UTG for example, you want to be playing about 8% of hands imo, late position you want to be opening >25%. Recognising the importance of position and acting accordingly will make you money :)
    • stevegold87
      My advice is to use paragraphs first.

• conall88
      you need to have a logical framework for decision making.

Have a general (if possible unexploitable) general strategy.

This is the strategy you use when you are readless. it may not be profitable, but it will lose you the least amount of cash. as you improve this may become profitable anyway, but you want to make sure you never spew money away.

next step:
      create a strategy for each player type. This strategy will entail finding habits of your opponent(s) and exploiting them.

playing vs calling station.
      - he calls too many hands, especially 3bets.
      - he plays too many big pots out of position

- I will play tighter (eg broadways with a kicker of 9 or above since he is playing crappy kickers)
      - I will 3bet my strong hands.
      - I will fold my junk.
      - I will not bluff him as I have no reason to.
      -I will value my smaller pairs less as I know he will call too often and may draw out. ( hands like 22-77 can be troublesome, esp to beginners. play them for set value only against stations if the implied odds are there.)

the rest is up to you.