[NL2-NL10] Nl5, AJ on AQ4 flop

• newsat
      SB donkbet.
      I raise to know whether I am ahead or behind.
      He call.

So I play passively.

My play was right ?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      CO (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is CO with J, A.
      UTG2 folds, MP1 calls $0.05, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $0.05, Hero calls $0.05, BU folds, SB calls $0.03, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.25) A, Q, 4 (5 players)
      SB bets $0.20, BB folds, MP1 folds, MP3 folds, Hero raises to $0.62, SB calls $0.42.

Turn: ($1.49) 8 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($1.49) 2 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $1.49.
  • 2 replies
    • fryandspicy
      You probably missed out on some value with such a strong hand here. Preflop, i think you should raise for value as alot of players on NL5 will limp call with worse hands. Once you hit top pair on the flop, you should be excited to get some money from the fish :f_biggrin:

I'd bet turn again for value, and check the river with no reads. If I knew he could bluff but won't call down without strong hands, I would check the turn to try and induce a bluff on the river. If he checked I'd still bet the river because my line wouldn't look so strong and you're missing out on value only raising one street with TPGK.
    • veriz
      Hello newsat,

Preflop: Raise it up, we don't want to play such hands in multiway pots and giving others just great odds to limp in.

As played
      Flop: I don't really like the raise either, there aren't that many hands which may pay us off, just go for pot control and maybe even get more money from him further streets. Just Call and reevaluate turn.

As played if flop was Raised
      Turn: Likely Checking behind is an option, depending on the opponent.
      River: Bet for value. :) The bet doesn't have to be that big, ~$0,80.

Best regards.