Need illumination on a confusing tactic

• Fiszy
      Fiszy
      Bronze
      A lot of the time I'm seeing players with a large chip stack going all-in against an opponent with a comparably tiny stack. They seem like good players so I'm guessing there's some strategy to this, but what is it? Doesn't it make more sense to only bet as much as the opponents stack and not risk losing everything?

Example:

Late phase, Player 1 has 12,000 chips, Player 2 has 800. Player 1 goes all-in repeatedly. Why?

This is a poor example, but I'm seeing this a lot and it really confounds me. Even something like:

Player 1 has 10,000 chips, Player 2 has 1200, Player 3 has 700, Player 4 has 250, Player 5 has 1700. Player 1 goes all-in. Why would they do this at all? Wouldn't it make more sense to only bet as much as the highest opponents stack (in this case 1700) ?
  • 31 replies
    • supeyrio
      supeyrio
      Bronze
      first to lol :D
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      There is no real difference, but

-- There may be an all-in button which is easier to press than to type 1700.
      -- Some of your opponents may interpret the bet as different if you go all-in rather than setting them in precisely. The amount of the size of the pot displayed on their screens may be different.
    • axeboy90
      axeboy90
      Bronze
      Originally posted by supeyrio
      first to lol :D
      2nd LOL
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      only real difference is that it takes less time going all in.. and it's way less likely that you make a mistake.. like typing the wrong amount r something...

also it'll be a little bit tougher for the opponents to calculate their pot odds since the pot size the software will show will contain all of the chips from the big stack.. but that doesn't really matter lol :D
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Aren't any of you meanies going to set him right?

If you have 1000 chips and the other guy has 10 chips, you shove and he calls, you only playing for a pot of 20 chips (read about effective stack sizes). What sort of game would it be if you could win 1000 chips by risking 10? :f_ugly:

(Ofc, if that's not what OP meant , apologies!)
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      TY jbpatzer. Expansion on this for op would be helpful and more constructive than 'LOL'.
    • supeyrio
      supeyrio
      Bronze
      this thread just honestly deserves a lol response. maybe if he had phrased the question better...
    • Fiszy
      Fiszy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jbpatzer

If you have 1000 chips and the other guy has 10 chips, you shove and he calls, you only playing for a pot of 20 chips (read about effective stack sizes). What sort of game would it be if you could win 1000 chips by risking 10? :f_ugly:

Thanks for the genuine replies, can you expand on this concept so I myself can learn utilize it effectively?

Originally posted by supeyrio
      this thread just honestly deserves a lol response. maybe if he had phrased the question better...
      Plain English and a minimum of 2 examples does not = ambiguous phrasing, I think. Feel free to post an obnoxious reply, but it should at least be mildly informative. Yours wasn't in the least, despite being the first post.
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Fiszy
      Originally posted by jbpatzer

Thanks for the genuine replies, can you expand on this concept so I myself can learn utilize it effectively?
      http://www.sitandgoplanet.com/sitandgo/sng_pokerguide/Beginners_SNG_Strategy_Effective_Stack_Sizes.html
    • Fiszy
      Fiszy
      Bronze
      Thanks, got it now.
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      Feel free to post an obnoxious reply, but it should at least be mildly informative. Yours wasn't in the least, despite being the first post.
      The thread tittle + first post is just guaranteed funny :tongue: although it's not a stupid question
    • Fiszy
      Fiszy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by viewer88
      Feel free to post an obnoxious reply, but it should at least be mildly informative. Yours wasn't in the least, despite being the first post.
      The thread tittle + first post is just guaranteed funny :tongue: although it's not a stupid question
      That's fine, hilarity is not a crime, but making a first post that basically says "Hah! Funny question and the answer is so simple, but I won't bother to waste one sentence on explaining this" is wholly unproductive. At the very least one should wait until the question has been addressed before indulging in laughs. This is basic conduct for posting on any forum where questions and answers are a commodity.
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by viewer88
      That's fine, hilarity is not a crime, but making a first post that basically says "Hah! Funny question and the answer is so simple, but I won't bother to waste one sentence on explaining this" is wholly unproductive. At the very least one should wait until the question has been addressed before indulging in laughs. This is basic conduct for posting on any forum where questions and answers are a commodity.
      exactly :D
    • Saruniks
      Saruniks
      Bronze
      I never go all in, I just cover them, because it takes more rake when you play for bigger pot. On tourneys, ofcourse I allin, because it doesn't matter then.
    • joecar
      joecar
      Silver
      Originally posted by Saruniks
      I never go all in, I just cover them, because it takes more rake when you play for bigger pot. On tourneys, ofcourse I allin, because it doesn't matter then.
      I hope your kidding
    • StoneJ
      StoneJ
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Saruniks
      Our survey says..............lol
    • Saruniks
      Saruniks
      Bronze
      isn't this right? I mean, bigger pot, more rake, or money that are not in risk doesn't count?
    • StoneJ
      StoneJ
      Bronze
      IF you go allin with 10usd and get called by someone with one dollar then you are playing for a 2usd pot, not an 11usd pot therefore obviously you are raked for a 2usd pot!
    • Saruniks
      Saruniks
      Bronze
      Originally posted by StoneJ
      IF you go allin with 10usd and get called by someone with one dollar then you are playing for a 2usd pot, not an 11usd pot therefore obviously you are raked for a 2usd pot!
      well, sometimes when I win I lose because of rake