Decided to take up NL HU - Advice

• McHallow
      McHallow
      Bronze
      Hey guys,

I've decided to take up NLHU on everest at 5/10 as I'm just not enjoy full ring or shorthanded. Now my bankroll is quite (very) weak however if I go busto I do not mind to much, I cannot put money in for a little while but what money I have in the game is pretty inconsequential to me. So if I do go busto I'll just study and play my weekly live tournament.

I've spent the last month studying HU play and read alot of articles and watched quite a few videos (signed up to deucescracked recently to get access to alot more and plan on exploiting it :P ) and played a few games live to test out what i've learnt and stacked those people.

Well, anyhow my plan is to hunt out the weakest players I can find (not exactly rare at the lowest limits on everest) and play to work my bankroll up to about $3-450 maybe some more before moving up to 15/25. It's going to be a long process and theres a good chance I'll fail, but hey I'll learn some valuable lessons along the road.

Is there any advice any of you can give me to maximise my chances of success and minimise my chances of failure. As of now I turned the $10 or so I had lying in the account into $67 It's an abysmal roll I know and I know it's a very delicate balance I just plan to exploit spewy players into paying off my good hands.

A few hands so far, how did I play them?:

I decided to raise it preflop as this guy generally played fold or raise whilst in the button, his two calls just indicated to me an iffy hand, not great, not good. Something like 79s or something like that on the flop as I hit TPTK with a fair amount of outs I decided to not bet too big and see what he did though with the intention of going to the turn.

Turn bet was fairly weak In hindsight. I'd decided by the river I had him beat as he hadn't been too aggressive, a busted flush or straight draw perhaps so I was playing to ship it

Known players:
      SB:
      $6.87
      Hero:
      $7.49

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (2 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.90 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:diamond: , 5:spade:
      SB calls $0.05, Hero raises to $0.30, SB calls $0.20.

Flop: ($0.60) 4:diamond: , 3:club: , 5:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.35, SB calls $0.35.

Turn: ($1.30) 5:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.65, SB calls $0.65.

River: ($2.60) 9:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.65, SB raises to $3.30, Hero raises to $6.19 (All-In), SB calls $2.27 (All-In), Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $13.74

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows three-of-a-kind, fives (Ad 5s)
      SB shows three-of-a-kind, fives (6h 5h)

Hero wins with three-of-a-kind, fives (Ad 5s)

Hand 2.

This one I was making a very nice profit from just raising preflop, this guy tended to overbet if he hit something beastly and I'd quickly scarper saving myself money.

Preflop: I raised almost every hand in the button so this was pretty standard.
      Flop: Middle pair, worst kicker, still a hands a hand and 10cent was worth the call to me.

Turn: Well I'd obviously hit very well and thought a bet was in order.

River: He snap called the turn so was somewhat wary that he was sitting on trips but he spent along time deciding on this bet, I know judging someones hand by their speed of play is not always a good idea, but this guy usually played very slowly in a tight spot. I decided on a call as I wasn't quite willing to risk any more on it.

Known players:
      Hero:
      $10.46
      BB:
      $5.80

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (2 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.90 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with 4:spade: , 3:heart:
      Hero raises to $0.20, BB calls $0.10.

Flop: ($0.40) 2:spade: , 3:diamond: , 9:club: (2 players)
      BB bets $0.10, Hero calls $0.10.

Turn: ($0.60) 4:club: (2 players)
      BB bets $0.30, Hero raises to $0.75, BB calls $0.45.

River: ($2.10) Q:diamond: (2 players)
      BB bets $2.10, Hero calls $2.10.

Final Pot: $6.30

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows two-pair, fours and threes (4s 3h)
      BB shows a pair of kings (Kd Ks)

Hero wins with two-pair, fours and threes (4s 3h)
  • 1 reply