Games to improve your recognition of patterns

• justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      I read a post by "cauelaratta" (Reading opponents online) and it got me thinking....

What games outside of poker improve your thinking, approach to hands and thinking to the overall game.

For example, I see a lot of WOW, Magic gathering, starcraft etc make their move to poker.

What others are there?

Feel free to post the big one but what about the small browser games?
  • 69 replies
    • OZSA
      OZSA
      Bronze
      so lemme think, you say WOW, SC helps you improve thinking...SC helps basically with agility, to be fast and precise and to plant a strategy deep in your soul and it helps to understand "more" with seeing less "evidence"..for example in SC if ur playing for years hardcore, you dont even need to look at the actual screen sometimes, you just take a milisecond look to the minimap and you understand whats going to happen soon, this could help in poker but not always, it makes you play like a robot..so..i guess its only useful for mass multitabling..

as for WoW...hmm..doubt it can help u in poker..i played wc2 wc3 sc bw wow and many others before i came to play poker...although if i'd have money i'd be still playing wow prolly..

if something could help poker skills, i definitely say chess..the ultimate game that improves ur intellect.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      I would not say chess helps your poker skills. I only believe chess requires a similar intellect to poker but by playing chess you will NOT get better at poker that's for sure. Basically, if you are/were good at chess you have a good potential to be good at poker. Ofc, it doesn't mean that no-good-chess-player = fish-forever. :f_cool:
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      I've heard lots of robot unicorn attack players have successfully switched to pwning high stakes plo
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Alternatively you could play this
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      http://members.iinet.net.au/~pontipak/redsquare.html
    • OZSA
      OZSA
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EmanuelC16
      I would not say chess helps your poker skills. I only believe chess requires a similar intellect to poker but by playing chess you will NOT get better at poker that's for sure. Basically, if you are/were good at chess you have a good potential to be good at poker. Ofc, it doesn't mean that no-good-chess-player = fish-forever. :f_cool:
      if a game helps ur poker skills and chess doesnt then i dont know what does.. look at chess
      1. teaches you shitloads of patience, many times in that game you cant win, and ur only chance of not loosing is playing patient, for the draw. its alot more patience in chess compared to poker, and if you learn that good it helps you in poker alot aswell. thats why chess players dont tilt, because they learnt how to be patient.
      2. chess is all about strategy, planning the whole game right after 2-3moves, trapping ur opponent, now if im not mistaken here, poker is about planning the hand in advance and trapping the opponents aswell.
      3. in chess there are several strategys and aproaches, just like lag/tag/passive/rock in poker. the game is very similar, except its no luck in it, and its alot harder:D but i do believe chess helps in everything that implies intellect/logic/strategy. maybe you never played chess or never been good at it, wish i never stopped playing it, its really a cool game. btw lol when i was in prague like a week ago, i found a shop selling 3player chess, i was like wtf? pity i didnt bought it...i still regret it
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jbpatzer
      For tilt resistance, right?

This is good for that too.

http://www.foddy.net/Athletics.html
    • OZSA
      OZSA
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EmanuelC16
      For tilt resistance, right?

This is good for that too.

http://www.foddy.net/Athletics.html
      this good for tilt ? you mean because its so funny? im rofling here like a maniac, you can do pretty sick moves with this guy =) ))
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      SC helps basically with agility, to be fast and precise and to plant a strategy deep in your soul and it helps to understand "more" with seeing less "evidence"

Exactly.

Chess is definitely a big one.
    • OZSA
      OZSA
      Bronze
      national hero 100.1meters :) ) lol at this game..

but kyle you search for a new game to start or just curious ?
    • luitzen
      luitzen
      Bronze
      17 seconds
    • luitzen
      luitzen
      Bronze
      Tetris=pattern recognition
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Originally posted by OZSA
      if a game helps ur poker skills and chess doesnt then i dont know what does.. look at chess
      1. teaches you shitloads of patience, many times in that game you cant win, and ur only chance of not loosing is playing patient, for the draw. its alot more patience in chess compared to poker, and if you learn that good it helps you in poker alot aswell. thats why chess players dont tilt, because they learnt how to be patient.
      2. chess is all about strategy, planning the whole game right after 2-3moves, trapping ur opponent, now if im not mistaken here, poker is about planning the hand in advance and trapping the opponents aswell.
      3. in chess there are several strategys and aproaches, just like lag/tag/passive/rock in poker. the game is very similar, except its no luck in it, and its alot harder:D but i do believe chess helps in everything that implies intellect/logic/strategy. maybe you never played chess or never been good at it, wish i never stopped playing it, its really a cool game. btw lol when i was in prague like a week ago, i found a shop selling 3player chess, i was like wtf? pity i didnt bought it...i still regret it
      You are just agreeing with me! Most games develop parts of your intellect or other qualities but you cannot become a better poker player by playing chess. If you've played/are playing chess you probably have good logical thinking which also helps in poker. But it doesn't bring something new to your poker game. You can develop those skills by simply playing poker!

If you really believe playing chess makes you a better poker player I am willing to play you HU (good sample) after one month you grind chess (no poker) and I grind poker (no chess) and see who has the edge. :f_biggrin:
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Originally posted by luitzen
      17 seconds
      18.7 seconds. :s_biggrin:
    • OZSA
      OZSA
      Bronze
      lol manu, i wonder in smt, everybody who is around 18-19 or less they pretty much come with "come play HU and i'll show u". how is this stuff called..? :) whatever.

u really didnt get what i said....look, u play poker 1year and u keep tilting, u tilt lifetime..u play and learn chess good, you learn patience, so you lower ur tilt or make it disappear. alot of players can never stop tilting in poker, no matter how much they play...get it? oh whatever, i have a feeling im posting in vain for ur mentality:)
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by OZSA
      national hero 100.1meters :) ) lol at this game..

but kyle you search for a new game to start or just curious ?
      Just curious tbh. Plus any edge I can get over my opponent is nice :)
      And I think learning games such as Magic the gathering which many great poker players have switched from wouldn't be such a bad idea.
    • OZSA
      OZSA
      Bronze
      got no idea whats that game but im checking it now..aha..i get the point of it, not bad, i was looking for a game like this myself. i have a game that we play with my friends at home, not so complicated as this, but its all about lies basically and finding who's the one that speaks true and false. its named sabouter, if you have about 5-6friends and you like to gather somewhere, drinking, talking, this is a very good game to spend time with, it has shitloads of fun and its all about reading the players :)

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/9220/saboteur

will learn more about this magic the gathering, as i want a new game to play with my friends, something like an rpg, but without immense story narration.
    • OZSA
      OZSA
      Bronze
      i just watched the video of this magic the gathering, the problem is that you need to buy more and more cards all the time..it might be good game, but im searching smt thats fixed, you have the deck (or whatever u use) and then its done, no need to buy/trade new ones all the time, if u know any tell me (btw im looking for fun home games here)
    • N0pr3s3n7
      N0pr3s3n7
      Coach
      Coach
      No better game ever than warcraft 3 and "offline" chess.These 2 are the best that can provide super fast thinking,multitasking as well as even if you want tilt control.I've been playing professionally warcraft 3 for 3 years ~.I've been in national team of bulgaria along with many other great players (I wasn't as good as them but still was working a lot on my game just like in poker)who are playing poker right now and are crushing all the way.Hasufly was national player of Germany and he was crushing the field quite well.Also warcraft 3 teaches you of organization,I used to train like 2-3 hours per day with my old teammates and i use to hand evulate right now.Only positive things about it I don't know any other games that can make your mind "gett better and fast",I can write endless story about all positive things but can only add ( with no offense to anyone) that WOW,CS and all kind of this games are just no brainers compared to warcraft 3 and even starcraft.I used to play them and crush people only when i'm tired to play warcraft 3.