Poker Rules and bending it like Beckham ....

• grinner66
      grinner66
      Bronze
      Hi all,
      I recently played a live satellite tourney to enter the Aussie Millions 2011 here in Melbourne.
      We were 3 off the bubble to qualify for the next phase. I was big blind wit A7o. Had 4 limpers call my BB.
      I was well stacked , so for fun I pushed all in and exposed my cards.
      Everyone folded in shock - horror and called the tourny director, who then suspended me for a whole round.
      Did I break any rules giving my opponents the extra info?
      I realize what I did was cheeky, but is it against the rules to expose my own cards whilst in play?
  • 29 replies
    • jpegz
      jpegz
      Bronze
      u shouldnt be doing it..
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      That's pretty retarded and disrespectful for your opponents.
    • Blade90
      Blade90
      Bronze
      where I play live if u expose your cards they fold them for u, but since u were all in i dunno really, feels like a suspension for a round is about right.
    • Alexportland
      Alexportland
      Bronze
      You can never get away with this in a tournament.

Sometimes it is acceptable in a cash game - depending on the house rules.
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Hey grinner66,

The crowd is correct :)
      Usually a penalty for exposing cards. But you were all-in so cards can't be folded

Regards,

Kyle.
    • JuiceQuadre
      JuiceQuadre
      Bronze
      Interesting news even for me.. I have too few live tourneys experiences... =) But yea..

Basically if something seems like it might not be good idea just dont do it, because its probably rly bad idea :D
    • grinner66
      grinner66
      Bronze
      I thought this was an interesting strategy, especially when holding AA in big blind where one has a bit too much action and re raises prior to acting, which would result in in possible suck outs against other sets. This theory would mean I could collect all the chips without any risk to my stack.
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by grinner66
      I thought this was an interesting strategy, especially when holding AA in big blind where one has a bit too much action and re raises prior to acting, which would result in in possible suck outs against other sets. This theory would mean I could collect all the chips without any risk to my stack.
      Not really poker then is it ;)
    • grinner66
      grinner66
      Bronze
      Dear Kyle,

Lol, and the definition of poker is ... ?
      this post was about rules and exploiting an advantage within those parameters.

Thank you for your feedback on perceived etiquette and ethics for the very competitive game of tournament poker.

please note: this is NOT sarcasm.

All the best,

Regards,

grinner66
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      You have to respect the rules or Jesminder won't go to america.
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Dear Kyle,

Lol, and the definition of poker is ... ?
      this post was about rules and exploiting an advantage within those parameters.

Thank you for your feedback on perceived etiquette and ethics for the very competitive game of tournament poker.

please note: this is NOT sarcasm.

All the best,

Regards,

grinner66
      If you wonder outside the rules of "tournament poker" then it's not "tournament poker".

If you play tennis and the ball clearly goes out and you keep playing is that tennis?

Rules are in place for a reason. There is no harm in trying to find a edge but trying to change the rules defeats the purpose.
    • grinner66
      grinner66
      Bronze
      I am not trying to change the rules, but think outside the square within the rules.
      The tennis metaphor was not a good one, bye the way.
      Back in 1983 there was a yacht race called "The America's Cup", which Australia won with " the winged keel", which was technically within the construction rules of the yachts requirements for competition but a new concept within the rules.
      Look at Formula One Racing ...... always testing the boundaries.
      Rules are rules, I understand that.
      Bending rules is not cheating, but skating on the edge for those who dare.
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      The tennis metaphor relates to the ball going out so you would stop the game OR show your hand so it would be mucked.
    • grinner66
      grinner66
      Bronze
      Being all in , the hand can't be mucked. I appreciate this is a very fine point.

From the official 2009 TDA rules:

42. Exposing Cards
      A player who exposes his cards with action pending may incur a penalty, but will not have a dead hand. The penalty will begin at the end of the hand.

Anyway, it's been interesting throwing "a curly one" for thought.

... :)
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze

Anyway, it's been interesting throwing "a curly one" for thought.

... :)
      The only thought i had was how many times were you dropped on your head as a child oh i actually i had 2 thoughts the second was how many times was it deliberate
    • jokerstar77mucker
      jokerstar77mucker
      Bronze
      Its never deliberate its always an "accident"
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      thats what my mum tells me...
    • grinner66
      grinner66
      Bronze
      :D
      Indeed, a profitable risk free "accident".
      Happy hunting and trapping.
    • OZSA
      OZSA
      Bronze
      wait a bit guys, what are you talking about? going allin and then showing ur cards in a tournament is called "allin protection" and its not punished at all, since all you do is create more (or less depending on ur hand) fold equity, but ofc you will only show big hands so the move itself is not worth ever, except if its some big bubble situation.. in the club i was dealing, this didnt get punished at all..i dont get it why it should be