[NL2-NL10] NL5 FR, AA + flop, turn play

• 36bullets
      Known players:

0.02/0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant.Base 0.96 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with A:heart: , A:spade:
      5 folds, BU raises to $0.20, Hero raises to $0.50, BB folds, BU calls $0.30.

Flop: ($1.05) K:heart: , K:club: , 8:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.55, BU calls $0.55.

Was C-betting here a wise play? or should I just check and see what BU will do?

If so, was the bet amount just right? I was thinking of protection but with a flop like this I was having second thoughts at that time...

Turn: ($2.15) 3:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.05, BU calls $1.05.

After reviewing this hand, I most certainly think that I should give up this hand instead of firing another barrel...

River: ($4.25) 4:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $0.95, Hero calls $0.95.

Final Pot: $6.15

Results follow (highlight to see):
      BU shows three-of-a-kind, kings (Ks Qd)
      Hero shows (Ah As)

BU wins with three-of-a-kind, kings (Ks Qd)
  • 3 replies
    • firsttsunami
      to make your continuation bet is absolutely standard. when you just bet improved hands you'll become readable like an open book. you have to bet all the hands you 3bet with preflop. no question about that. you still have to learn about ranges when i read your assumptions that you wrote down along the hand.

BU has a high VPIP and a low PFR. that does indicate that he is more a passive guy who is willing to chase hopeless hands like QT QJ or is calling down with Ax, counting too much showdownvalue. his range on the flop is very wide. he will call with almost any hand that has 2 overs to the 8. especially with hands having a :heart: for a backdoor Flushdraw.

consequently you do have another bet on the turn and after he just called he could still have some flushdraw variations or Ax or a small pair. most of the times he does have Ax, flushdraw or a pair that is worse than yours and thus you have to bet the river again against all those worse hands!

you smelled trouble and you saved one bet but you don't have to evaluate the hand from the result but from the hands he could be possibly have in his range and believe me, most of the times you have another valuebet on the river, facing a worse hand.
    • justkyle88
      Moved to correct section :s_biggrin:
    • veriz
      Hello 36bullets,

Preflop: You may want to raise even bigger here, ~$0,70.

As played
      Postflop: You may want to CBet even bigger, ~$0,70 to protect from flushdraw and also get value from weaker pairs. And often you may even Bet against his stack all the 3 streets and try to get your stack in against his mid-stack. He may still have a lot of PPs which he is able to pay us off and if he does have the Kx then just unlucky for us.

Best regards.