Changes in our rake races & new PokerStars freerolls

• vhallee
      vhallee
      Bronze
      Rake race changes:
      • PokerStrategy.comMonthly Full Tilt Poker rake race increased from $50,000 to $75,000
      • Monthly $50,000 Ongame Network rake race extended until April 2011
      • Top250 prize pool decreased from $100,000 to $80,000
      • StrategyPoints earned at Full Tilt Poker, Ongame and PokerStars do not count for the Top250 anymore

These changes will come into effect from February onwards.

New freerolls at PokerStars

From February onwards, we will offer more exclusive freerolls for our PokerStars players:
      • a series of 12 exclusive weekly $5,000 freerolls for all PokerStrategy.com players on PokerStars ranked SilverStar or higher
      • a series of 3 exclusive monthly $10,000 depositors freeroll for all PokerStrategy.com players

Reasons for the changes

In line with our promo policy, it's our goal that a PokerStrategy.com player always has the best conditions at each poker room. However, the Top250 has become a worse and worse tool over time to achieve that goal. On the one hand, it's very inflexible because it puts all rooms in one basket, on the other hand, it has become irrelevant for most players because it is so competitive.

Therefore, we have decided to gradually replace the Top250 with room-based promotions where they are allowed. To make the transition easier, we have also increased the total amount of money spent on promotions significantly (-$20,000 for the Top250, but + $25,000 at Full Tilt Poker, + $30,000 at PokerStars and + $50,000 at the Ongame network). Also, for the time being, the Top250 promotion is going to be softer than before.

We want to hear what you think about this changes, so don't hesitate and give us your opinion in this thread.
  • 9 replies
    • supeyrio
      supeyrio
      Bronze
      why fix something if it aint broken? such changes may bring about extra happiness to certain players, but also results in discontent in some players. are such results beneficial? basically extra investment -> extra profits for pokerstrategy -> at the cost of some players -> worth? probably would be yes for pokerstrategy.

yes we understand that the move that pokerstrategy made is not a move to cut cost on your part (as highlighted in the extra $ injected) but still, do not expect to please individuals that have been negatively affected by this change for the individual's concern is personal well being > community's well being. bringing extra fishes to the ecosystem is not going to be a direct benefit from an individual's point of view since 1) fishes are going to be shared anyway 2)theres a maximum amt of fishes one can have 3)theres no scientific method to compare the ex ante and ex post results to actually measure the change in benefits for the individual.

whether or not pokerstrategy will improve the benefits of those negatively affected by this move is their prerogative, since we all know that there is little "customer power" for poker players in terms of retracking accounts to other affiliates. definitely far and few customers would even habour a thought on trying to show their "customer power" to pokerstrategy since it has already offer alot(in fact the best) compared to other affiliates
      but still, i strongly urge pokerstrategy to seek ways to improve benefits for the pool of players, negatively affected by this move, to compensate for the loss in benefits.

hope to get more support especially from pokerstars players who has been hit the hardest.

this is just my point of view since i'm one of those who didnt benefit from the change
    • z1pz0r
      z1pz0r
      Bronze
      I'm also pokerstars player, and those freerolls don't help me one bit.
      First of all, I'm too lazy to play them and even if I would, I would have great disadvantage being a cashgamer all my poker career.

I know that pokerstars doesnt allow rake races but I'm sure theres another way. And how did u manage to keep up rake race on pokerstars till now?
    • Dawnfall26
      Dawnfall26
      Black
      yap, as pokerstars FL player I can also see only negative improvments with this change
    • OZSA
      OZSA
      Bronze
      im gonna move to pokerstars aswell, so yes, the boys are right, the change is bad, change it, remove FT rakerace, make it PS :P
    • sm112
      sm112
      Black
      I'm running for SNE this year and was counting on some extra $$$ from PokerStrategy when I made my plans.. Fuck this.
    • Volrath89
      Volrath89
      Bronze
      Originally posted by sm112
      I'm running for SNE this year and was counting on some extra $$$ from PokerStrategy when I made my plans.. Fuck this.
      +1. same situation for me :(
    • Xantos
      Xantos
      Bronze
      This is absolutely a bad situation for you guys who are on a SNE chase on PokerStars. Sadly, there was no option to uphold this.

What we have to see that PokerStars still is the largest poker room world-wide, has a great software and customer service. Just like other poker rooms, they also have their special rules for what affiliates can do.

PokerStars does not allow affiliates to make VIP targeted promos, and I personally think this is wise - as it prevents affiliates from outcompeting PokerStars itself. And it protects you as a player: you can sign up at PokerStars through whomever and be sure that you won't have a disadvantage just because you did sign up directly or through some affiliate.

So you also know that you are even now not at all in a disadvantage compared to any other PokerStars players.

We'll try to work extra-hard to compensate especially on the content & services side. You can see by the overall change that this was not at all about saving money. We invested more money into PokerStars (the freerolls) and our VIPs than we "saved". Plus we get all your disappoinment, which is of course costy.
    • OZSA
      OZSA
      Bronze
      you get money from stars as pokerstars players rake, I dont know how much exactly but you even if u get 20% / 1$ then a player who made 10k$ rake @ stars gives you around 2k$. so what i would do to be fair to "my" stars players, do a freeroll for those who gathered the most rake (1# freeroll for top10, 2# freeroll for 11-20 and so on) obviously the 1st freeroll wont be 10k$ it will be something like 30-50% of ur profits from those players..so i guess it will be pretty huge 200k or more dunno...if u wanna please these players this is not a bad choice..ofc it cuts down alot of ur profits.
    • Anssi
      Anssi
      Black
      Originally posted by Xantos

We'll try to work extra-hard to compensate especially on the content & services side. You can see by the overall change that this was not at all about saving money. We invested more money into PokerStars (the freerolls) and our VIPs than we "saved". Plus we get all your disappoinment, which is of course costy.
      Like I said in the other topic, with the current changes we get pretty much nothing. 5k freeroll is too small for most of us since it just has worse $/hr than playing normal games. Some quarterly 100k freeroll might actually be tempting enough to play, especially if it has turbo structure. That costs about the same, but is better for your highest rakers. And of course like you hinted in the other topic, VIP only freerolls might be option too.