[NL2-NL10] BSS, NL2 hand evaluation

• Scuipici
      Scuipici
      Bronze
      Hello everyone,

I would want some opinions on this hand, please:) .I feel like I haven't squeezed enough out of it.

So here it goes:

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      UTG2:
      $1.9
      Hero:
      $1.22

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.90 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with 3:heart: , 3:diamond:
      UTG2 raises to $0.08, 4 folds, Hero calls $0.08, 2 folds.

Flop: ($0.19) T:spade: , 8:heart: , 3:spade: (2 players)
      UTG2 checks, Hero bets $0.1, UTG2 raises to $0.25, Hero raises to $0.40, UTG2 calls $0.15.

Turn: ($0.99) 2:diamond: (2 players)
      UTG2 checks, Hero checks.

River: ($0.99) 7:club: (2 players)
      UTG2 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $0.99

Results follow (highlight to see):
      UTG2 shows (Qh Js)
      Hero shows three-of-a-kind, threes (3h 3d)

Hero wins with three-of-a-kind, threes (3h 3d)

Thing is, he was pretty aggresive pre- and postflop.He might have had a stronger pocket pair (like 10s or 8s), so I thought he was going to check-raise me.I must admit I was kind of silly, and didn't see that flush draw on the flop.

So, please, set your criticism loose, the harder the better:)

Thanks in advance,
      Scuipici
  • 8 replies
    • Alficor1
      Alficor1
      Bronze
      I'd raise more on the flop, to like $,75 and then bet turn and river for value/protection. Also bet more on the flop, like $,15. ;)
      I dont really see a reason for checking behind both turn and river, you're giving your opp a chance to catch up for free.

Anyway its NL2, people dont give a shit about pot odds, outs and stuff like that. Just bet pot on every street here, he'll call you with his gutterball+overcards combo, dont worry.

Oh and by the way, why dont you have full stack? Make sure u have full stack all the time. ;) Thats what all the ballers do. :f_cool:

I didnt wanna be too hard with criticism, you seem to be a nice guy. :f_cool:
    • Dendra
      Dendra
      Bronze
      betting 0.10-12 is fine on a dry flop, here I'd be more fond of making 0.15 as alfi said, mostly due to the board being very drawy and fish will either pay big to chase or fold to even 0.8 bets and such.

I don't get it why do you check the turn? Even if you were out of position, checking wouldn't all that often induce a bet from your opponent because you 3bet the flop.

River check makes sense only if you put him on air and want to see what he was chasing. Otherwise you're losing value, because weak top pairs and such will call you on the river - if he hit two pair, he could go for a check-raise on the river or donk into you, so if you ever see weird aggression on river, always consider sets/two pairs.
    • Alficor1
      Alficor1
      Bronze
      Btw, I think if you put your opponent on a draw, it makes a ton of sense to bet a ridiculously small amount of money on the river - like $,08 in this case. You get called almost always because of pot odds, but, more importantly, sometimes you get bluff raised by missed draw. ;)
    • Dendra
      Dendra
      Bronze
      not sure bout pot odds :P on nl2 there are no pot odds, just money odds :) they won't call even 2cents if they don't feel like calling :P

same as huge bets when you know they can't let go no matter how ridiculous your bet size is :D
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Moved to correct section :s_biggrin:
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Scuipici,

And welcome to the forum! Please add to full stack if you are playing BSS. :)

Preflop: Standard set mining spot.
      Flop: You may even want to CBet bigger, ~$0,15 and as he decides to raise us, I'd even raise biggere there, ~$0,85 to get better protection from flushdraws and also straightdraws.

As played
      Turn: I'd definitely Bet it here for value and also protection, don't be scared to go broke with your set. He may easily have any kind of OP or whatever which he could pay us.

As played if Turn was Checked behind
      River: I'd likely Bet here like $0,50 for value and if he decides to shove then might even find a fold.

Best regards.
    • Scuipici
      Scuipici
      Bronze
      Thank you everyone for your advice!:) .I'll keep my stack full from now on.I should have raised higher on the flop.

And veriz, I think I would have definitely folded if he shoved.That was, I think, one of my fears and reasons for checking, but now that I look at it, he would have definitely gone for value on the river with a really strong hand.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts/experience.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Scuipici
      Thank you everyone for your advice!:) .I'll keep my stack full from now on.I should have raised higher on the flop.

And veriz, I think I would have definitely folded if he shoved.That was, I think, one of my fears and reasons for checking, but now that I look at it, he would have definitely gone for value on the river with a really strong hand.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts/experience.
      Yeah, don't be that scared and try to find value spots like this more often. :) Good luck on tables!