Dealing with minraises from BTN and SB when you on the BB

• stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      Very simple question, if you see somebody with a super high steal percentage (higher than 50%+) and he keeps raising your BB how do you react? Do you push all-in with any decent hand you get or you let yourself getting bullied?

Now same question, but you villain is unknown and does a minraise on BTN or SB. What do you usually do? I am very tempted to call everytime but I think this might be a leak in my play but I think folding to minraise is...weak too.

Let me know your opinions on this matter. Thank you
  • 2 replies
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      Your play may depend on the stack depth. It can be ok to fold much of the time when someone minraises, but you need to be aware that an open raise from late position represents a completely different range from an open raise in front of 5 players. Do not assume a hand like QT or A8 is going to be dominated.

Someone who minraised every SB would be posting a larger blind. You could push as though you were in the small blind and the size of the big blind were the size of the minimum raise. So, if the effective stack depth is 20 bb, pushing over a minraise is similar to open-pushing for 10 bb from the SB. You have the advantage that your opponent is likely to read your push as stronger than an open-push, so he will probably fold more often than he would against a 10 bb SB open push.

You have the option of calling to see a flop. This is different from if you open-complete the small blind which lets the BB raise. If you call to see a flop with an unpaired hand, you will only flop a pair about 1/3 of the time. You will flop a few draws, too, but have a plan for when you miss. Remember that your opponent has often missed the flop, too. Will he cbet 100%? Will he check strong hands to you? The better your read is on how your opponent plays, the more profitable it can be to call instead of restealing. However, you should also tend to avoid calling with hands which will make bluff-catcher hands, like A2o. A2o does fine against a wide range because it wins against hands which miss, but you can't bet for value against T7 unimproved. Tend to play push/fold with hands which are not playable.
    • wazawanga
      wazawanga
      Bronze
      that fold to a 3bet is really really BAD