6max vs 9 max

• 15 replies
    • FRODOFEET77
      FRODOFEET77
      Bronze
      depends how many tables u gonna play and i suppose u have to be a little more confident in ur play if u 6 max
    • Navrark
      Navrark
      Bronze
      Since I only play one table I decided to switch to 6max play and give it a try in order to play more hands per hour. I really enjoyed my first night of 6max!

My question is this:

Is the NL BSS Starting Hands Chart good for playing 6max NL2?
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      Yup, just get rid of the first 3 positions at the table. Be careful not to fall into the trap of showing down too light. Steal first in from the button with practically any two and iso raise limpers with any hand you would normally play.

Be prepared for some serious donkage and suckouts at nl2!!
    • Lindberg789
      Lindberg789
      Bronze
      Think he's talking about sngs... So don't use BSS chart. Use standard sng chart but don't include first 3 positions. ;D
    • Navrark
      Navrark
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Lindberg789
      Think he's talking about sngs... So don't use BSS chart. Use standard sng chart but don't include first 3 positions. ;D
      Ah, yeah the OP is talking about SNGs. Oops. I didn't want to open a thread if not necessary.

But I am talking about NL BSS.
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      I was responding to Navrak... Lol got sidetracked from the op's original question :f_confused: To answer that, the most profitable is the one you're best at and enjoy most!
    • Navrark
      Navrark
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Wurble
      Yup, just get rid of the first 3 positions at the table. Be careful not to fall into the trap of showing down too light. Steal first in from the button with practically any two and iso raise limpers with any hand you would normally play.

So what you are saying is not to follow the Starting Hands Chart...

I mean, I know that a new player can't follow the Chart forever, but I mean if I were to stick to the SHC exactly in 6max would I be successful, providing that I having proven myself a winner at Full Ring?
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      Originally posted by Navrark
      Originally posted by Wurble

So what you are saying is not to follow the Starting Hands Chart...

I mean, I know that a new player can't follow the Chart forever, but I mean if I were to stick to the SHC exactly in 6max would I be successful, providing that I having proven myself a winner at Full Ring?
      No, I'm saying use the starting hand chart but ignore the first three positions because they're not there in a SH game. In SH cash games open limping is bad so don't do it and if you see someone else do it before you then iso raise them with any hand you would normally play (as per the starting hand chart). Stealing first in from the button is massively +EV but you don't have to do it if you don't want to.
    • gedwashere91
      gedwashere91
      Bronze
      In fact, you can be marginally looser than the 9max starting hands chart, because the payout structure in a 6max SnG is more top-heavy than a 9max (1st place in 6max gets 65%, 1st in 9max only gets 50%).
      If you're a beginner though, using the SHC is never a bad place to start.

@ BSS people; don't derail a thread when OP was clearly talking about SnGs.
    • gekitsios
      gekitsios
      Global
      what do you mean slighty looser?i think in 6 max you could be slighty winner thatn 9max
    • apehce
      apehce
      Bronze
      Originally posted by gekitsios
      what do you mean slighty looser?i think in 6 max you could be slighty winner thatn 9max
      Slightly looser as in loose, opposite of tight.
    • Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      6max cash is a pretty harsh place to go while being dependent on a preflop hands chart. Just my two cents though.
    • gekitsios
      gekitsios
      Global
      i agree with that i believe 6 max is a very creative format of poker
    • fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      Theres an excellent sh preflop chart in the silver articles section, when the time comes, you shall have it :)

Of course you should always pay attention to your opponents as well. For example if there's a nit sitting on your left you can raise considerably looser from the CO.
    • konkey
      konkey
      Bronze
      Well, that still isn't very good idea, because your playing style should be kinda different when playing 6 max and 9 max SNGs. e.g. in 6max SNG you are basically going for dominant position on the bubble. You can take more flips while 4-5 handed and so on... I think for begginner is definitely better to play 9max starting with those charts. In 6max you'll see also more postflop game in early stage.