[NL2-NL10] NL10 88 against shorty

• Oly0909
      Oly0909
      Silver
      Cake Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (8 handed)

CO ($6.36)
      Hero (Button) ($10.48)
      SB ($10.30)
      BB ($9.60)
      UTG ($3.70)
      UTG+1 ($3.21)
      MP1 ($8.95)
      MP2 ($2.57)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8:spade: , 8:club:
      3 folds, MP2 bets $0.35, 1 fold, Hero raises to $1.20, 2 folds, MP2 calls $0.85

Flop: ($2.55) Q:spade: , Q:diamond: , K:spade: (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero raises to $9.28 (All-In), MP2 calls $1.37 (All-In)

Turn: ($5.29) J:spade: (2 players, 2 all-in)

River: ($5.29) 4:diamond: (2 players, 2 all-in)

1. How to play medium pocket pairs against shortstacks (not SSS players)? I can't call them for set value, I can't call to play postflop, and they are usually pretty loose, so I can't fold every time, and maybe I'm wrong but 3betting looks to me like I'm isolating myself only against better hands.

2. What about postflop? Would check behind and fold on turn be better? It looks to me shoving is my only option but, again only better hands can call me.

My problem is even bigger because, you can see their stacks, 2-3 big stacks / table. And all tables on Cake are like that.
  • 4 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Oly0909,

1. How to play medium pocket pairs against shortstacks (not SSS players)? I can't call them for set value, I can't call to play postflop, and they are usually pretty loose, so I can't fold every time, and maybe I'm wrong but 3betting looks to me like I'm isolating myself only against better hands.

Why can't we fold with smaller PPs? I don't mind, rather avoid just coin flips. Also we have opponents behind us. I'd rather just fold in this situation and what ain't even weak. While there was no read or info on the opponent, I don't see any good reason why we should raise here for value.

2. What about postflop? Would check behind and fold on turn be better? It looks to me shoving is my only option but, again only better hands can call me.

Since we played like this preflop then just shipping here should be somehow profitable, since he may also Call us with a lot worse hands hands and our equity should be good enough. Overall, just don't raise preflop. :)

Best regards.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      My problem is even bigger because, you can see their stacks, 2-3 big stacks / table. And all tables on Cake are like that.

That's really bad actually for BSS, I even usually when there are more like 3-4 shorties I just leave the table. Maybe you should try some other poker site? There are a lot which you get great bonuses and also rakebacks in our PokerStrategy poker site list. :)
    • Oly0909
      Oly0909
      Silver
      Originally posted by veriz

Why can't we fold with smaller PPs? I don't mind, rather avoid just coin flips. Also we have opponents behind us. I'd rather just fold in this situation and what ain't even weak. While there was no read or info on the opponent, I don't see any good reason why we should raise here for value.
      On normal tables I fold this without thinking. Problem is when half of table (or more) are shortstacks, so I should avoid playing pocketpairs completely? Just to remind you, table selection on Cake is imposible because usualy there are 5-8 NL10FR tables opened.

About your comment to move to another site. I'm not on Cake because of rake, but because I got my (2nd) starting capital there. Have to collect 1000 points to move from there. Good thing is, 70 points more, and I'll stop asking you these kind of questions :f_biggrin:
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Oly0909
      Originally posted by veriz

On normal tables I fold this without thinking. Problem is when half of table (or more) are shortstacks, so I should avoid playing pocketpairs completely? Just to remind you, table selection on Cake is imposible because usualy there are 5-8 NL10FR tables opened.

About your comment to move to another site. I'm not on Cake because of rake, but because I got my (2nd) starting capital there. Have to collect 1000 points to move from there. Good thing is, 70 points more, and I'll stop asking you these kind of questions :f_biggrin:
      Oh I see, and I don't mind you asking any kind of questions, I will try to answer them anyways, doesn't matter what kind they are. And hopefully you will find a good site and of course it's kinda hard to play on such site here is only 5-8 tables to choose from, then you have to live with it. Or just try to pick such a time when there are the most players.