I`m kinda new,am i OK?

• cozacu
      cozacu
      Bronze
      Hi guys,i decided to post here in order to get as many opinions as possible;
      I`m in a downswing or at least i think i am,I said i`m kinda new because i`m playing poker for only 4 months,i started out with the 50$ in 6 weeks i made it into 125$(at nL2 FR and SH),in 4 more weeks into 250$(NL5 playing like2h/day)... then i lost like 4BI playing mixed NL5 and nl10 and i went back down to NL5... got my 40$back and went again to mixed NL10-NL5 i lost a bit,chosed again only NL5(4 tables as usual) but now i`m losing insanely much,or at least not by far to what i was used to...

In the last 3 sessions of 5.4k hands i lost like 12BI,you might think i`m on tilt,and i know i was for one of those 3 sessions where i lost almost 5BI,but in the last two i was perfectly calm,i don't feel tilted,i play relaxed and have a laugh when i lose AK vs KT or AK vs AT or AA vs AK(all`in preflop) (i`m not insane,i just try my best to keep it cool).

Last week went also badly with almost the same results,i was just lucky with a tournament where i finish with a win of 5BI.Since then i read like a maniac every article,read a ton of posts and analize hundreds of my hands... the problem is that i don't see serious leaks in my game,some hands are a bit miss played but nothing drastical (nothing Tilt Like).My HM in the leakbuster section tells me i`m B+ with a lot B-A+ grades.

So my question is can this 3 session 5.4k hands = -12BI be just a downswing?Or it's just my game shit?I`m not used to swings like this because before 2 weeks ago i never had a negative result at the end of a week(for 3 and a half months)

I could really use any advice,thanks.
  • 15 replies
    • jdnismo
      jdnismo
      Bronze
      You're probably just on a downswing. You said you analyse hundreds of hands and can't spot any major leaks, so you're probably playing well. Have you been posting your hands in the hand evaluation forums or just reviewing them by yourself?

Also, if you don't find it getting better after some time, maybe you could record a video and see what people think of your play. You can post one in this thread: Micro Players - NL Sweat Vids?

If you really think there's nothing major wrong with your play, just give it time and your profit will start increasing again. How many hands do you have?
    • cozacu
      cozacu
      Bronze
      I don't know exactly the number of hands because i use HM only since last week,but i think i`m around 50-60k(at least only in cash games) hands played in 94 days.
    • jdnismo
      jdnismo
      Bronze
      Maybe try posting a graph with your SD and non-SD winnings and All-in EV, or try making a video like I said.
    • cozacu
      cozacu
      Bronze
      The graph wont tell you much because it`s for only the last 5,4k hands,and it`s ofc down from 0,my showdown winings are +13$ witch is interesting... anyway i don't have time to make a video right now because i have a ton of exams for college so the best thing here i think it's to take a break and stop thinking about poker so much... at least for a few days. :s_biggrin:
    • ScroogeMcMuck
      ScroogeMcMuck
      Bronze
      Drop down to NL2 and stay there till the bad run ends. Also, what's your username and what site u play at ;) hehe lol
    • cozacu
      cozacu
      Bronze
      I play on FTP ;p downswing ended i guess,last sesion = +4.5BI ,the 5.4k hands downswing slaughter ended.I`ll never go back to NL2 :) ) i have a pretty solid bankroll so no need for that,thx to a ton of bonuses i can actualy go back to NL10 again :) (and i`m going to very soon)
    • luitzen
      luitzen
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ScroogeMcMuck
      Drop down to NL2 and stay there till the bad run ends. Also, what's your username and what site u play at ;) hehe lol
      If you truly have a downswing (i.e. you're not playing bad) there's no point moving down to NL2 as long as you have enough money left to play NL5. Luck doesn't have a memory, so if you start playing on NL5 again, you might start loosing again because bad luck strikes you again.
    • ScroogeMcMuck
      ScroogeMcMuck
      Bronze
      It's all about BRM (Bankroll Management) If u can't afford the 5NL then drop down, if u really do feel ur on a bad swing, then might also be an idea to drop down to minimise losses till u get evidence ur downswing is turning.
    • luitzen
      luitzen
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ScroogeMcMuck
      It's all about BRM (Bankroll Management) If u can't afford the 5NL then drop down
      This is obvious.

if u really do feel ur on a bad swing, then might also be an idea to drop down to minimise losses till u get evidence ur downswing is turning.
      This is utter nonsense. Downswings don't have memories and they don't turn back on or off. If you move down and 'feel that your downswing is over', you might run in bad luck again directly when you move up again. The fact that you just lost 15BI is not related to whether your QQ will hold up against AK in your next hand.
    • Cealin
      Cealin
      Bronze
      But since most downswings have an effect on the mind and play style moving down can be good. Even though you might not do stuff wrong because of the downswing, you might do less stuff good then before also.
    • Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      The higher you rise - the harder the fall :) You did a very good job beating NL2 and NL5 like this and a normal-ish downswing looks terrible in contrast of that. Just keep going and it's gonna be OK!
    • cozacu
      cozacu
      Bronze
      Thx Bliausmas for your encouragement,and all you guys for your replays.Well it looks like the swing didn't end,my last too sessions were like -2.5BI and -3BI,honestly i feel really bad,i try to keep everything under control but it's so damn hard,i`m stress as hell because of my exams(i did very well so far),and because i`m trying so hard to get so good at poker as fast as possible,i think that's a big mistake,i`m also stressed because i recently lost my part`time job(i didn't mess up there,they just didn't needed the personal anymore) so all of that combined i think that turned me from a wining poker player into a losing poker player... i don't think it's a downswing anymore,i think i just play bad because i`m under too much stress,i mean i lost 9 out of my last 12 sessions ,that`s just ridiculous,and i really don't know what to do anymore... in the last 12 sessions i lost 18.2BI(8.5k hands),you can't call that a downswing,yes i got a lot of coolers and bad beats,but sometimes i just made idiotic mistakes.

I don't want to stop playing,i set the goal to get ironman again this month,but maybe a big break would be way batter,on the other hand i don't want to feel like a quiter... i really want to fight my way trough this,but i just don't know how.What do you think i should do?
    • Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      It is impossible to avoid downswings, even the best players has those. Of course swings like this are very stressful and demotivating, but your ability to take hits is going to improve with growing experience.
      If you play under stress it has a big negative influence to your game of course. Try to avoid that. There are definitely some moments when you believe that poker is the only thing that can bring you some positive emotions right now, but don't fall for it - it's just a mirage :)
      And those huge downswings - they are going to repeat again and again and again, and you have to hold on during these times. And you never know when a pitfall is going to appear in front of you - that's the romantics of poker :D
      But on the other hand - if it would be so easy, everybody would climb to the top, and now like only a few from thousands reach the top :)
      Good luck!
    • luitzen
      luitzen
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Cealin
      But since most downswings have an effect on the mind and play style moving down can be good. Even though you might not do stuff wrong because of the downswing, you might do less stuff good then before also.
      Of course, if a downswing puts you on tilt, it's better to not play anymore or maybe play a couple of hands on very low limits.

It's not necessary to tilt when you hit a downswing. If you have a lot of experience, you'll get better putting that behind you. Multitabling can also help. "What, did my AA get sucked out again? On which table was it, again?" By multitabling you'll also player bigger volumes and will faster learn the positives and negatives of a randomness centered game. However, if you are already on tilt, you'll only lose more by multitabling.

My suggestion to topic starter is to take a break, analyse your play, play on a level where money doesn't really mean anything to you so that you can good poker without worrying about your money, and read some strategy on PokerStrategy.com or from other sources.
    • cozacu
      cozacu
      Bronze
      Well i am multitabeling,4 tables,and i have been doing it almost since i started playing,i started two tables,3 and then 4 (i used to be a competitive starcraft player,multitastking isn't really a problem).Now I though about playing less tables but it burns me so much because i know i could handle 4 pretty easly.About going to NL2 i fell very bad as well because playing with players from NL2 i`ll never improve my game :| and would take forever to get out of the whole i`m in,and can't get ironman.
      I`m a bit confused because i was doing so well for so long,i can't belive it was just luck,i think i know maybe a thing or two about poker,i never stoped learning about the game... i think it was a downswing that turned into tilt,and now every time i start playing and have like 2-3 bad beats i go back on tilt.