Playing KK

• SaynotoKlaus
      SaynotoKlaus
      Bronze
      Can you guys give me any advice about this hand i played earlier?

I raise with KK 4bb , 1 guy calls.

the flop is : 2c 8d 3h
      - i check , he bets pot size , or 70% pot don't remeber exactly , i call;
      Turn is Js: i check , he bets pot size , i call;

River = 5d : I bet half pot , he folds.

I was wondering if maybe i should have checked , then maybe he would have bet some more , but at the time i was afraid that he will just check.
      Is there a better way to play in this situation?
  • 7 replies
    • martins1337
      martins1337
      Bronze
      bet bet bet
    • AngryJack7
      AngryJack7
      Bronze
      Pairs as aces and kings are better be very high raised preflop and push on flop if someone call and u still have top pair(thats the way i play em)
      Sometimes even QQ, but its much greater chance that u gonna suck out...(dont try that with JJ;u will most likely tilt)
      Its already a high chance for KK to suck out but for queens,its much much greater.
      People overplay such a high pocket pairs and forget that they still hold only a pair and nothing else.(ofcourse you are probably way ahead before the flop but on the flop,everything changes in most situations and most of players just CANT drop their pocket even tho they know they are most beaten)
      My advice is: BET HIGH
    • SaynotoKlaus
      SaynotoKlaus
      Bronze
      Originally posted by AngryJack7
      Pairs as aces and kings are better be very high raised preflop and push on flop if someone call and u still have top pair(thats the way i play em)
      Sometimes even QQ, but its much greater chance that u gonna suck out...(dont try that with JJ;u will most likely tilt)
      Its already a high chance for KK to suck out but for queens,its much much greater.
      People overplay such a high pocket pairs and forget that they still hold only a pair and nothing else.(ofcourse you are probably way ahead before the flop but on the flop,everything changes in most situations and most of players just CANT drop their pocket even tho they know they are most beaten)
      My advice is: BET HIGH
      I tried to trap my opponent , by letting him think that i have a weak hand or a draw. If i raised too much before flop , no one called and i would have won the blinds;
    • JazBenz
      JazBenz
      Bronze
      I would never check the flop here with KK... id just bet 3/4 of the pot... maybe bet pot if it seems like a scary board... but to check flop here you have high risk of your opponent hitting his set or straight or whatever he is chasing.
    • amplifyd
      amplifyd
      Bronze
      ch/rai/broke turn - if not broke shove river.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Quote: ' I tried to trap my opponent , by letting him think that i have a weak hand or a draw. If i raised too much before flop , no one called and i would have won the blinds; ' Unquote

....and?

I'll assume it's micro-level. Don't slowplay and try to trap with big hands and don't be concerned you wont get any action. I know a reg at nl4 full ring who open raises to $1 with AA every time (it's always and only AA) and still gets 2 or 3 callers.

Raise hard, bet hard on flop, go broke most times. I go broke preflop with KK even if I think the villain could have AA. Just get the money in. Gl. :)
    • ScroogeMcMuck
      ScroogeMcMuck
      Bronze
      There's only one sure way to play KK & AA, and that is to bet n bet big.

You must never forget it's just a pair, and on the flop if there's any chance of any kind of draw, you have to make it too expensive for anyone to call. The deeper you go into the board, the less likely your big pair will hold up.

I tend to raise alot on the flop up to 8-10 BB more if there's some big draws, like flsh & str draws. If there are more than one opponent, then I'm more likely to just push right there to just take it down. I'd rather not get a call, cause it'll rarely hold up.

Using this method, my success rate with AA & KK is 92%. I don't win alot of big pots, but I don't lose either. Occasionally a fish will call you with top pair, n u get nice earnings from that. Just don't give them a chance to draw out on you. :)