[NL2-NL10] 76s MP3 vs QQBU

• JimmyHertz
      JimmyHertz
      Bronze
      I play SSS for 85% of time but in my humble expariance it is not enough. 5% bluff, when I double up I switch to BSS. To lure people in calling I have to show them few bluffs first, even if it cost me 1/3 of stack. My buy in was 3$ in this table and as you can see I've picked up few pots +0.83$ in that process I've manage to dissbalance few players one of those was BU. My image in this table at this time was tight and very aggressive. So at this time I've decided it's time to mix it up. You can see here how did I played it. I would appritiate if you analyze my hand, and how I played it. thx in advance.

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      MP1 = ($10.37)
      MP2 = ($10.17)
      MP3 (Hero) = ($3.83) tight, very aggressive image
      CO = ($11.64)
      BU = ($6.39) tight aggressive, but dissbalanced player, not a bad player, doesn't draw often
      SB = ($4.00)
      BB = ($9.52)
      UTG2 = ($5.08)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 7d, 6d.
      3 folds,
      Hero raises to $0.30, CO folds, all raises before this was 4bb+1bb for every caller
      BU raises to $0.60, (at this point I put this player in a range of JJ, QQ, AKo was this a mistake? could the range be wider? 2 folds,
      Hero calls $0.30 I wanted to show bluff and donk play, use that image later.

Flop: ($1.35) 9h, 8h, 5d (2 players)HIT!!!
      Hero checks, BU bets $1.35, Hero calls $1.35. after small hesitation, not too long smile , flush draw implication smile

Turn: ($4.05) Kc (2 players)
      Hero checks , BU checks after this I've put him on JJ, QQ.

River: ($4.05) 2s (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.88 wanted for this to look like a donk bet at river!!!
      BU calls $1.88 !!!.

Final Pot: $7.81.
      Results follow:

BU shows a pair of queens(Qc Qs).
      Hero shows a straight, nine high(7d 6d).

Hero wins with a straight, nine high(7d 6d).

After this hand I switched to BSS and manage to get calls from better players who try to catch me on missed draw and I was holding set and even poker nines. Where can I improve my game, because better players, don't fall on this kind of play. Pretend that you dont know my hand in what range will you put me on preflop, turn and river and why? What to do to improve?
  • 6 replies
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Hello JimmyHertz,

Welcome to the SSS forum!

As a general guide I would advise you to focus on one game type(either BSS or SSS at least untill you get access to MSS articles which are for gold members) and as a beginner try to stick to that one and try to master that one. Otherwise you can confuse too many things as the strategies differ a lot, what is a very profitable spot with BSS could be very -EV spot with SSS because of lack of stack and the way around as well.

Therefore I would advise you to buy-in with 20BBs as one should for proper SSS if that's the one strategy you'd like to start with and to follow the starting hand chart as described in the articles. When you'll get access to MSS articles, read them and master SSS already, then you can try to mix up the styles a bit.

As for the hand, openraising 76s from MP3 is usually a mistake even according to the extended MSS SHC. So just fold preflop.

As played, you should fold to the raise preflop because those minraises are usually monster hands from my experience and you don't have a large enough stack to play for implied odds(you will hit 2-pair or better in only few percents of the time while you will waste money 95% of other time) and even according to BSS you can't play 76s out of position longterm profitably without the initiative.

Postflop seems well played.

Regards,
      burek2000
    • JimmyHertz
      JimmyHertz
      Bronze
      I have problem applying sss on some limits. For example NL10 on FTP full table have min buy in of 35BB? How this efeckts SSS?
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Originally posted by JimmyHertz
      I have problem applying sss on some limits. For example NL10 on FTP full table have min buy in of 35BB? How this efeckts SSS?
      That's true since the sites changed buy-ins a while ago. For SSS you would have to look for shallow tables which have buy-in 20-40BBs or you would need to start playing MSS on 35-100BBs, but the problem is MSS content is only available for gold members or higher.

On Pokerstars they have a lot of traffic on shallow tables all the way up to NL400, perhaps you could try it there, although as far as I remember FTP also has shallow tables at least on lower stakes only it has much less traffic there.

Regards,
      burek2000
    • JimmyHertz
      JimmyHertz
      Bronze
      If I buy in on a shallow table there is much greater chance that there are siting 3-5 SSS players, and that is one of big NO NO in applying SSS. I find difficult to play with success against board full of SSS. What to do then?
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      If I buy in on a shallow table there is much greater chance that there are siting 3-5 SSS players, and that is one of big NO NO in applying SSS. I find difficult to play with success against board full of SSS. What to do then?
      If you sit on a shallow table there are chances that there will 3-5 short stacks, that is not to say that there are 3-5 short stack strategist. A lot of fishes buy in for the minimum amount. If you see that you have a lot of short stack tags then change table otherwise don't worry to much about it.
    • Tampaloeres81
      Tampaloeres81
      Bronze
      Originally posted by thazar
      If you sit on a shallow table there are chances that there will 3-5 short stacks, that is not to say that there are 3-5 short stack strategist. A lot of fishes buy in for the minimum amount. If you see that you have a lot of short stack tags then change table otherwise don't worry to much about it.
      +1

Color code the TAGS, fish, etc. So you can see how many SSS'ers are at the table before you join ;)

T.