Making player profiles

• gp00053
      gp00053
      Bronze
      I'm trying to build player profiles for .10/.25 FR and looking for some opinions. HM allows you label 24 profiles, (Rock Lion, ABC etc) Stars has 8 color labels and I assume most sites have the same. My question is at the micro levels, and even at low stakes how many different player categories do you need?

I have heard some people use 16, some use 12 all the way down to 6 categories. The one system I saw uses 16 different profiles going from the tightest to loosest, to no structure at all. For example on the tight side it identifies Cards as a player who’s VPIP is <12, PFR <10, WTSD <20, next comes a Rock who’s VPIP is <12, PFR is between <10, WTSD >20, then comes Mouse, Monkey and Calling Station who all have VPIP of 12, PFR <10 and all WTSD of between 20-30. Next comes 3 categories for TAG players: ABC, Lion and Eagle, Takes into account VPIP,PFR,AF, 3bet, Steal &WTSD percentages and lastly 6 categories for loose players gamblers, man, fish, whale, crown, and snake

I understand we want as much info as possible in order to make profitable decisions. But in the micro and even in the lower stakes, is not more profitable in the long run to keep are play straight forward and if that’s true do we need 16 or 20 different profiles? I was thinking, keep the categories simple and make the notes more detailed. At the micro stakes are we going to play a Card different than a Rock in most cases? Thanks and I appreciate any thoughts on this matter
  • 5 replies
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      I've seen good players just use reg/weaker-player/short-stacker. At the end of the day a colour is never going to give you the level of exploitable information decent reads will.

I usually use these,

donk/fish/shortstacker/reg+nits/good-reg

(btw fish is a weak player with some concept of the game, donk is someone who has no grasp of the game and plays like a moron)

I like to let HM auto-rate and use the site-side colours.

Originally posted by gp00053
      I was thinking, keep the categories simple and make the notes more detailed.
      Yes, imo.
    • gp00053
      gp00053
      Bronze
      Thanks I was think six. Solid TPAS LPAS TAG LAG FISH but Short Stack is good one two
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      At the end of the day it's what you feel comfortable with. I personally don't use markers to identify specific styles of play such as TPAS or TAG.

What marking do you give a Solid-TAG? what about a TAG-fish? What about a TPAS preflop player with solid postflop skills? LAG-fish? Solid-LAG? Perhaps you see my point.

I prefer using my colour markings more as an indication of general skill level and familiarity with the game. As for the details such as TPAS or LPAS etc, that's what I use my stats/HUD for ;)

That's just my 2cents though, do what you like =)
    • gp00053
      gp00053
      Bronze
      Originally posted by w34z3lPerhaps you see my point.

That's just my 2cents though, do what you like =)
      Actually I do see your point. I do use HM stats and notes to make detailed profiles of players. What I was looking for is a quick way to identify player types for table scanner or when I first sit down at the table.Now that I think about it, I actually like your labels better.
    • HannesZ
      HannesZ
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Thank you w34z3l.

Actually I have a very similar opinion like you. So gp00053 you should really go for that.

Cheers,
      Hannes