3.40$ - 6.50$ Turbo SNG's

• Zervin311
      Zervin311
      Bronze
      Hey, I've been playing some 3.40$ and 6.50$ turbo SNG's lately on poker stars 24-40 tabling, and they seem relatively soft. I only have about 400 sng's for a sample size, but my current ROI is 18.06 for the 6.50$ ones and 26.35 for the 3.40$ ones.

- What would a normal ROI at these limits be?
      - What could I expect playing 11$ Sng's?
      - Are double or nothing Sng's better profit wise?

Any information or personal experiences regarding SNG grinding would be greatly appretiated as I am primarily a cash game player.
  • 23 replies
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      I suggest looking up the players on the Sharkscope leader boards. If you look at the players with the greatest total profit in 2010, you will see what ROIs some strong players have sustained over large volumes.

You might be interested to know that a rough 95% confidence interval of your ROI after n tournaments is about your observed ROI +- 310%/squareroot(n).
    • luitzen
      luitzen
      Bronze
      Wow man, 40 tabling.

I'm currently playing $3.40 9 handed turbos and sometimes 10 handed and I've almost made it to the Sharkscope leaderboards for 9 to 10 handed $2-$5 SnGs biggest profit 2011 and I played 173 of them so far. My net win is currently $46.30 and my average ROI is 7.87. I think my ROI is a little bit low on these limits compared to the better players, but that's not a big problem as long as you're a winning player. I thinink your ROI is a little bit high, but you're sample size is not very big.
    • Zervin311
      Zervin311
      Bronze
      Would you look at that, im 7th on that leaderboard for 2011 atm, didn't even know they excisted :P

And thanks for the great feedback guys. I'm probably gonna stick to SNG's I'm guessing, I used to play some SSS and BSS back in the day, but I feel its not as profitable as it used to be with my obsession with playing gazilions of tables :P Probably better sticking to 40 tables on stars and grind some I guess :P Thanks for mentioning the leaderboards btw, I had no clue such ones excisted :P

- Just played a little 3 hour session of 3.40$, 111 SNG's, +47.40$, 12.56 ROI. It's not massive, but I was hoping to get some feedback from someone who plays 11$ SNG's regarding the big differences from 6.5$ to 11$ :)
    • luitzen
      luitzen
      Bronze
      Maybe remove some tables first, but if your bankroll is big enough, you can definitely handle $11.

From what I've heard $11 is still very fishy. Better players often move on to MTTs, so SnGs are rather easy up to at least the middle limits.
    • Zervin311
      Zervin311
      Bronze
      Ye, I recently won the 30k guarantee on Poker Stars for 5228$, but I hate the fact that the time between your payday may vary tremendously. Sng's is more of a solid income and you can bring up 40 tables if you want :)

I might give 11$ sng's a try if they're still as soft as the 6$ ones. Just gonna play 1k or so on 6.5 just to make sure I didn't luckbox or anything though :)
    • luitzen
      luitzen
      Bronze
      I have some questions about multitabling.

You say your playing 40 tables at the same time. Do you play them in sets, or do you open up new tables when you bust out on one? And do you tile your tables, and if yes, how many monitors do you use and what is their resolution and how big are they?

Do you often experience crashes if you're multitabling?

I'm slowly increasing the number of tables I'm playing on, but I'd like to know my limits. I just played a set of twelve tables and won $7.80 (ROI: 19.12%), despite losing all-in with QQ against AA, having my aces cracked twice and busting out with KK against AK. If I look at the equity of these hands (except for QQ against AA, but how could I know I was up against AA?) I think I was extremely unlucky and possibly could have made some more money. I still don't completely understand ICM, but 90% of my shoves are correct. I could maybe call more hands in certain spots.

According to poker tracker, I played 9 tournaments with you, you won none of them. 4 Friday, and 5 this morning. I often notice regulars like pablokrioya and freddy827. freddy827 is on top of the leaderboard and is multitabling like hell. pablokrioya is playing more like me, but he's already playing all month.

My bankroll currently is $230 and I'll be able to clear $20 bonus tomorrow (stellar reward and first deposit), and if I make some profit, I'd like to add some $6.50 tables as well.
    • Zervin311
      Zervin311
      Bronze
      Poker Tracker doesn't fill in results further than when you bust yourself, so if you bust in 4th and I win, it will show me as not winning :)

When it comes to multitabling - I used to used two monitors and spread the tables out, but I found it only puts alot of pressure on my eyes for no apparent reason. I'm currently stacking every single table in the same place and using the same prefered seat always. I never watch what happens with my all ins and I never check my wins before the session is over as I find it can only cause me to either time out of hands or be annoyed that I lost with a crushing hand.

I'm using table ninja for key bindings and I'm also using the SNG sensei which will open new tables whenever I bust depending on my max table cap (24/30/40/50) depending on the limit being played etc. I feel alot of time is getting wasted by waiting for tables to close to open new ones so I'd rather just get new tables up asap, I never time out unless I stop to watch an all-in anyway.

When it comes to the ICM - I personally don't know ICM, but I have tried the trainer and 95% of my shoves were correct, so apparently I'm doing something right.
    • Zervin311
      Zervin311
      Bronze
      I really don't experience crashes, but I do have some strange occourance where after about 120 SNG's my sound will cut off and the only way to fix it is to restart (afaik).
    • luitzen
      luitzen
      Bronze
      I just 14-tabled and 18-tabled. First session didn't go very well (I lost about $20), but the second session went much better (I won almost all of it back and I'm $6 up because of clearing $10 bonus). When 18 tabling, I encountered one problem. I timed out on multiple tables before I could fold, because of there being too much action.

I will now try 6-tabling and then cascade my tables.
    • Zervin311
      Zervin311
      Bronze
      You should try stacking all your tables up so your cards will always end up in the same place. Obviously you need to know what you're gonna do in every given situation within a second or else you will end up losing alot of time trying to figure it out. If you're timing out while 18 tabling you're either trying to watch your all ins and watching your results, which is bad and you should stop doing it. Or you simply haven't played enough poker to be able to make a decision quick enough. Figure out which one it is and you might be able to play more tables :P
    • Zervin311
      Zervin311
      Bronze
      If you don't have table ninja I would definately recommend it as it sorts out small problems like instant betting, instant all in button, if you time out it till auto click I'm Back, your time bank will always be activiated.
    • luitzen
      luitzen
      Bronze
      I couldn't click all those tables fast enough. They were spread out over two monitors and Pokerstars is a little bit buggy with tiling tables.
    • luitzen
      luitzen
      Bronze
      I tried stacking 5 tables and it went really well. I still tend to look up results, but every table popped up at the right time and I could quickly make the decisions. I won 3 of them and finished 2nd. ROI over the session was 86%:D
    • luitzen
      luitzen
      Bronze
      I'm now on the Sharkscope leaderboards. Nr 19. StarsPsychic.
    • Zervin311
      Zervin311
      Bronze
      If there's one piece of advice I can give you, it is this. Stack your tables properly and give a shit about your results untill your entire session is done. It only takes away from your concentration and time to make reasonable decisions. Wheter you won the hand or not is not up to you and knowing the result can only take away from your focus or cause you to play badly as a result of tilt.
    • Zervin311
      Zervin311
      Bronze
      As for the leaderboards, you probably won't see me progressing past 7th as I'm not playing 3$ SNG's, that was just a 1 day occourance. But if I cba to put in the hours and increase my tables to 45-50 I might be going on the 5-16$ ones playing either 6.50 or 11 SNG's. Problem is there isn't usually more than 40 tables running at a time at 6.50$.
    • luitzen
      luitzen
      Bronze
      I'm slowly moving up the limits. I played 4 $6.50 SnGs today and finished first and second.

I won $66 today and I cleared $20 bonus, so that's a total profit of $88. My bankroll on Stars is $357.81 now.

Here's a graph from the last 15 days:

• luitzen
      luitzen
      Bronze
      I caught up with you and I'm now higher on the leaderboards.
    • Zervin311
      Zervin311
      Bronze
      Congratulations, you are aware that I played for 1 day though and I'm not really playing those limits, at all? :P

If you want some updates I won two qualifiers for the 215$ tournies on sunday and got screwed in 18th in a 1168 player rebuy tourny, lost with 99 against 98 runner runner eights, sick :P 222$ isn't bad, but with 7200$ to the winner it's kind of disapointing.